My DIY electrostatic headphones
May 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #331 of 4,058
I just finished putting the phones together.  They sound nice!  
dt880smile.png

Now I need to buy more plastic screws, make a couple of nice back covers, lacquer the wooden frames, and find a decent headband for them.  
dt880smile.png

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #336 of 4,058
        Hi Wachara
smile.gif

I've been reading all your postings and am excited to follow your examples.

I have 2um Mylar and the coating, have the plans to build a cnc. (mydiycnc.com)  will order the kit soon...
have sourced the .5 mm PCB (http://www.ebay.com/itm/120664289524?var=420018556368&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

I have access to a bridgeport mill but don't like the thought of drilling those stators by hand.

The plan is to use EMC2 Ubuntu..got that loaded into a virtual machine and looks good..
Found a virtual mill that runs G code, its fun:)

OK But how did you draw the parts/ get the G code??

What software are you using?  I tried Heekscad, inkscape, CamBam and Free Cad to design with but cannot figure out how to do holes in a grid pattern?

I would like to start with 80mm active round stators..
Are your files posted anywhere?

any help or suggestions would be appreciated...

Thank You
  Gary

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #337 of 4,058
Hi Gary,

It's nice to hear that you are going ahead to build your own CNC.  I'm sure that you will find the CNC machine to be really fun to work with.

I also use EMC2 and I love it.  For drawing the holes pattern, I actually draw them manually and use copy and paste function.  It's quite confusing at the beginning, but when you know it, it's not too difficult.  I can share with you my drawing if you want.  PM me with your email address and I will send my drawings to you.  Is general .dxf be good for you?

About PCB, you will need 1 mm PCB for your stators and dust cover rings.  0.5 mm PCB is only good for making spacers.

To me, my Omega clone sounds pretty good.  But, for my next headphones, I would go back to my original oval shape design.  You know - nothing beats big diaphragm when it comes to electrostatic.  The bigger diaphragm is always the better!

2 microns Mylar is a good start, but you really want to have thicker Mylar to try too.  I am now using 3 microns and I like it better than 2 microns.  I will try 6 microns very soon.

Wachara C.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #338 of 4,058
  Wachara:

Thank you for your quick reply....

I trust your knowledge on this as I have followed your posts for a while..and they make sense!

Will PM email and .dxf is fine as I will learn to use it..

Thanks for the 1mm  stators>> correction. Will use plastic for spacers..

I will try any design you think is best , just thought the Omega would be simpler

what do you import the .dxf file into (what program) to make G-Code?

The CNC might take a month or two to get going depending on my work schedule..

Gary

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #340 of 4,058
Wachara

The same store has .5mm FR4 single sided PCB for spacers
and .94 or 1.2mm for stators

on the  oval shape ones:  2mm holes, 4mm on center ... about 400 of them:)

many decisions.....

thanks
Gary

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #342 of 4,058
Just want to show how desperate one of my friends is to build his own electrostatic headphones.  
bigsmile_face.gif

He uses 1 mm PCB for the stators and spacers.  The diaphragm is made from plastic food wrap from his kitchen.  I give him two thumps up for his devotion and creativity.  
smily_headphones1.gif

He even records the sound from his headphones here in this VDO.  
L3000.gif

Jul 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #344 of 4,058

A while back I was able to help Wachara with some components. It  wasn't a big deal and I was happy to help. You can imagine how stunned I was when a few months later he offered me a pair of his DIY Omega clone electrostatic drivers and enclosures.   It took me awhile to get them up and running, but here they are. The cable is a Stax extension cable. The earpads are Stax 007 replacements. The headband is from an HE-5. I fabricated the arcs out of aluminum bar stock. Definitely a "Frankenphone", but I think they look pretty good.

How do they sound?  I've heard the original Omega a few times, it's my all time favorite Stax headphone. Maybe it doesn't have quite the resolution and linearity of the O2, but it's not far off, and it's got a bigger sound stage, slightly warmer and fuller midrange, and a powerful dynamic abilty that no other Stax possesses.  Audio memory is very transitory, but I think he has come very close here. These are wonderful headphones by any standard. I own a a pair of 507's and Koss 950's.  In the past I've owned several Lamdas. I prefer Wachara's headphones to any of them. Truely stunning work.  The journey's not over either. He's got plans for further refinements and experiments.

I'll be bringing these to the LA meet. Come listen for yourself.

Thanks again Wachara! These are truly a stunning accomplishment!

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #345 of 4,058
Quote:

A while back I was able to help Wachara with some components. It  wasn't a big deal and I was happy to help. You can imagine how stunned I was when a few months later he offered me a pair of his DIY Omega clone electrostatic drivers and enclosures.   It took me awhile to get them up and running, but here they are. The cable is a Stax extension cable. The earpads are Stax 007 replacements. The headband is from an HE-5. I fabricated the arcs out of aluminum bar stock. Definitely a "Frankenphone", but I think they look pretty good.

How do they sound?  I've heard the original Omega a few times, it's my all time favorite Stax headphone. Maybe it doesn't have quite the resolution and linearity of the O2, but it's not far off, and it's got a bigger sound stage, slightly warmer and fuller midrange, and a powerful dynamic abilty that no other Stax possesses.  Audio memory is very transitory, but I think he has come very close here. These are wonderful headphones by any standard. I own a a pair of 507's and Koss 950's.  In the past I've owned several Lamdas. I prefer Wachara's headphones to any of them. Truely stunning work.  The journey's not over either. He's got plans for further refinements and experiments.

I'll be bringing these to the LA meet. Come listen for yourself.

Thanks again Wachara! These are truly a stunning accomplishment!

That's very cool.  Any chance you'll be at RMAF this year with those? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back