My DIY electrostatic headphones
Dec 23, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #3,151 of 4,058
I am working on my housing for drivers with ear pads and headband. Headband is from Sony MDR7506 and earpads are some 100mm type from ebay. I only need to add some foam to headband for increasing comfort.
gEoLasO.jpg

AlWGV2W.jpg

Jan 1, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #3,160 of 4,058
Hi Wachara, I have gone through almost 150 pages of this thread, And although my basic concepts are clear the size and dimensions are getting diverse.
So the question is, which Headphone Driver Size gave you best result?
I am right now making a dremel based diy CNC (Just started), I already own a 3d printer, but lack knowledge in CNC, what milling bit you use for your CNC?
Also I think you said KGSSHV is really good amp. Is there any better and easier to make SS amp than this?

Jan 1, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #3,161 of 4,058
Both of my Omega and Orpheus clones are very good. You can follow either of those designs. Beside the shape, the diaphragm tension is very critical in making good sound. You have to practice to get just the right tension. I can't really tell you how much is enough. You'll need to experiment with it.

I'm not sure if a dremel is powerful enough for the job. It's probably OK to drill and cut the FR4, but for cutting wood, I'm not sure. Anyway, try it and let us know how it goes.

Yes, I still recommend you to build a KGSSHV. Please go with the latest version which is KGSSHV Carbon. It's a step above the earlier KGSSHV version. It's also known to be the best DIY SS amp design so far.

Jan 1, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #3,162 of 4,058
Hi Wachara, I have gone through almost 150 pages of this thread, And although my basic concepts are clear the size and dimensions are getting diverse.
So the question is, which Headphone Driver Size gave you best result?
I am right now making a dremel based diy CNC (Just started), I already own a 3d printer, but lack knowledge in CNC, what milling bit you use for your CNC?
Also I think you said KGSSHV is really good amp. Is there any better and easier to make SS amp than this?

I bought an old Stax amp just to get started with DIY headphones when I stumbled upon Chinsettawong’s blog... I built a KGSSHV after that because the old Stax was noisy as anything! The KGSSHV was great but I was really glad I built the KGSSHV Carbon: more power, cleaner sounds at high volume, my DIY drivers sound louder and cleaner with the newer KGSSHV Carbon... all to say that you should listen to Chinsettawong’s advice. He’s got so much experience with both amps and headphones.

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #3,163 of 4,058
I bought an old Stax amp just to get started with DIY headphones when I stumbled upon Chinsettawong’s blog... I built a KGSSHV after that because the old Stax was noisy as anything! The KGSSHV was great but I was really glad I built the KGSSHV Carbon: more power, cleaner sounds at high volume, my DIY drivers sound louder and cleaner with the newer KGSSHV Carbon... all to say that you should listen to Chinsettawong’s advice. He’s got so much experience with both amps and headphones.

Happy New Year to you, Vinh. We should get together again when you are back in Bangkok. Looking forward to listening to your DIY headphones again.

Jan 1, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #3,164 of 4,058
Thanks for the advice Wachara, I am making this CNC (converting my 3d printer) just to drill FR4 board only. For headphone I am going to use 3d Printer with ABS Plastic.
But first I will make AMP. Time to look into KGHSSV Carbon..

Jan 1, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #3,165 of 4,058
Although I have to agree that the KGHSSV Carbon is likely close to or is top of the heap for Electrostatic amplifiers, you might consider something a bit simpler for a first pass at building an Electro amp. Check out the CFA electrostatic amp thread on the forum where the Stax Mafia hang out (not sure if it is OK to link to them here, pm me if you need more direction). It is a much simpler build, and only needs the GRHV to supply it (vs a GRHV and a GRLV for the KGHSSV Carbon) (although I think Kerry designed a hybrid PS board that contains both the HV and LV circuitry). Great bang for the buck from what people are saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back