My DIY electrostatic headphones
Oct 21, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #62 of 4,059
Those earpads really aren't all that comfortable, long live the 70's and vinyl everything...
smily_headphones1.gif
  You could have some earpads made from real leather (which should breath a bit) or copy the Sennheiser HE60/90 design which uses a fabric in contact with the head but the rest is vinyl/leather. 

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #63 of 4,059
This is amazing work.  Now I'm itching for a CNC even more.  Too bad you don't live close I would have loved to auditioned them.

The ear pads do look uncomfortably thin.  How's the soundstage & leakage with these as closed headphones?

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #64 of 4,059

Quote:
This is amazing work.  Now I'm itching for a CNC even more.  Too bad you don't live close I would have loved to auditioned them.

The ear pads do look uncomfortably thin.  How's the soundstage & leakage with these as closed headphones?

Hi Region2,

CNC is an amazing machine.  I just love it.

The headphones are not closed back though.

As I'm typing this, I'm listening to them right now.  Even though the ear pads are not that comfortable, they do make pretty good seals.  The sound stage isn't as open as my previous version which has a big open back, but it's not bad - not bad at all.

Now I need to find someone who can help me make a pair of leather pads. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Wachara C.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #65 of 4,059

Quote:
Hi Region2,

CNC is an amazing machine.  I just love it.

The headphones are not closed back though.

As I'm typing this, I'm listening to them right now.  Even though the ear pads are not that comfortable, they do make pretty good seals.  The sound stage isn't as open as my previous version which has a big open back, but it's not bad - not bad at all.

Now I need to find someone who can help me make a pair of leather pads. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Wachara C.

That's embarrassing.  Thanks for the correction!  Too bad the housing isn't more rounded, I wonder how they would feel and sound if you could put on some pads from the O2.  I'm sure if you can get some patterns down you can find some customs leather company to get it made for you.  I've been considering this for some of my other headphones as well.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #66 of 4,059

Quote:

That's embarrassing.  Thanks for the correction!  Too bad the housing isn't more rounded, I wonder how they would feel and sound if you could put on some pads from the O2.  I'm sure if you can get some patterns down you can find some customs leather company to get it made for you.  I've been considering this for some of my other headphones as well.

Too bad that I can't find any O2 pads to try. 
frown.gif

Wachara C.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #67 of 4,059
I've been listening to my new headphones for a few days.  I find that the treble on these headphones is a little better than my fully open back version.  Do you think that the less open area and a piece of sponge at the back side of the drivers cause a little coloration on the sound?

Wachara C.

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #68 of 4,059
With any obstruction to the backwave you will get a colored sound, no way around it.  The Stax 4070 is a marvel of engineering but the effect its closed shell is clearly evident in the midrange.  It's hard to say how these drivers behave in that chassis but it is certainly well worth it to try different damping setups.  Felt, wool and other semi acoustically transparent materials have worked well in the past. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #69 of 4,059
Hi Spritzer,

Thanks so much for your information.  I searched your old threads, and I found that you mentioned once that you didn't like the sound from these Marantz headphones.  You said that they didin't fixed the drivers in place and the sound wasn't that good.  Could you tell me how the drivers in the original Marantz were put?

May I ask something about Stax?  How do they prevent sweat from entering into the drivers?  The way I do it is to put a layer of diaphragm between my ears and the drivers.  Is this a good way?

Wachara C.

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #70 of 4,059
I'm digging way back here but I think they were built like the Magnavox unit.  There they just fitted the driver in a circular slot on the baffle and fixed it in place with the foam behind it.  No care was taken to eliminate baffle leak and thus they sounded dreadful...

All Stax sets from 1960 have had a film next to the ear to seal off the driver and after 1994 all of the models also have a PVC film on the back as well.  If you want to see how the brand new Stax phones are made, Google "SR-507 investigation".  I can't give you the link as it will just be deleted...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back