My DIY electrostatic headphones
Dec 18, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #91 of 4,058
Bigger isn't always better...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #93 of 4,058
Hi Wachara
smile.gif

I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of the new stators. I'm still listening to the 1st version but I do like the look of that new stator. It would be nice to be able to use the Stax pads too!

I obtained a sample of the Staticide but haven't stretched new diaphragms yet. I've been dragging my feet a bit as I need to rebuild the bias supply in my amp and increase the voltage a bit. I also have been sorting a large quantity of vintage stereo gear I just came into. I've got most of that sorted at this point and am ready to try my next project.

Any chance you could email a pdf of that new stator design? That is if it isn't proprietary or anything...I'd like to try making a set myself.

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #94 of 4,058
Hi Matt,

I'm glad that you still enjoy the headphones. I really feel that my 1st design is a good one. Mine sounds so much better now with 0.9 micron diaphragm and Staticide coating. The good thing with this coating is that you can really coat it very, very thin.

As for my design, nothing is proprietary. In fact everything is open source. Whatever you want to know about, let me know. Hell, I can even supply you with what you want. :)

Anyway, I think you should let me test this design first to see if it is indeed worth our while. I will have a Stax 407 coming very soon. We'll see how mine can stack up with Stax.

Wachara C.

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #95 of 4,058
Nice stuff indeed!

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #98 of 4,058
Hi Wachara,

The ESLs are slowly taking form, but the frame was a bit more hazzle than expected.

I'm so tired off inhaling MDF and painting edges!
wink.gif

I took the short road and bought a pair off Sennheiser HE60s to listen to while I build the ESLs, and a new amp is probably on the way.

But as I'm new to tubes I'll probably build a simple SE class-A amp with a trafo output and se how that sounds!

/Roger

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #99 of 4,058
Amazing stuff!

Makes me feel completely useless as I have no DIY skills when it comes to building stuff.

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #100 of 4,058

Quote:
Hi Wachara,

The ESLs are slowly taking form, but the frame was a bit more hazzle than expected.

I'm so tired off inhaling MDF and painting edges!
wink.gif

I took the short road and bought a pair off Sennheiser HE60s to listen to while I build the ESLs, and a new amp is probably on the way.

But as I'm new to tubes I'll probably build a simple SE class-A amp with a trafo output and se how that sounds!

/Roger

Hi Roger,

If you want to, you can try the amp design I posted.  It's very simple to make and it sounds pretty good.

Wachara C.

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #102 of 4,058
How much does it cost to put one of these together?

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #104 of 4,058

Quote:
Hi Lff,

As I have my own CNC machine, making a pair of these is really very cheap. It's more on finding the time and the mood to do it.  :)

Wachara C.

Lucky you! I wish I had the skills and time to make one.

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #105 of 4,058
[size=medium]Hello Wachara,[/size]

[size=medium]Yes, Stax compatible connectors are possible DIY.[/size]

[size=medium]I made myself "Stax compatible" connectors and sockets easily because the diameter of the pins are 3/32 inch (or 2,381 mm). That's corresponds exactly to the diameter used in standard XLR 3 pins connectors ![/size]

[size=medium]For one panel mount female 6 pins Stax compatible connector I used :[/size]

[size=medium]- The metal chassis socket from one 3 pins XLR panel mount male connector[/size]
[size=medium]- The 6 female pins from two 3 pins XLR females connectors[/size]

[size=12pt]Views of a DIY 6 pins female "Stax compatible" chassis connector I made from a Neutrik NC3MP connector and epoxy from PCB epoxy plates :[/size]

[size=12pt][/size]

[size=12pt][/size]

[size=12pt]Philippe[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back