My DIY electrostatic headphones
Jun 27, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #2,716 of 4,059
yeah i can upload images :) here are some images of the stator and distance frame :) the membrane i need to renew this evening

IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1791.JPG

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #2,718 of 4,059
as i wrote need to glue it this evening destroyed the last one :D but its so much fun this project will keep you guys updated my plan was to build a "high end" hybrid tube and solid state amp but this will cost to much at the moment perhabs i will try to build after my testbench works a middle expsive engergizer :D

cheers janosch

Jun 28, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #2,719 of 4,059
IMG_1792.JPG
here is a picture of 2 diaphragm with 2 different household foils one is from kaufland brand and the other from toppits. im not happy with how the glue is distributed hmm also the more expensive toppits foil looks cleaner the kaufland has some wrinkels will test both later today.

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #2,721 of 4,059
Hello,
I am looking the reason for central big hole (1cm diameter). I suppose that around this hole there in no electrical field, thus this membrane area does not oscilate. Possibly there is in order to simulate the spherical waves. Do you know about this?

T. Sarafidis

I have made my version of SR009 stators.
I used 1mm FR4 for the test, since it is just as rigid as aluminiun but easier to work with.

The holes are 1.7mm dia, and the centre is 8mm dia.
I have listened to various music for about an hour with this panel, and my preference still lies with the standard 2mm holes in a full panel layout.
Does anybody know if the Stax "Multi layer etched stator" means that the inner side of the stator is NOT flat.
That is, for example 0.3mm spaced at the edges and 0.6mm at the centre, in the way of a stepped stator....?

David.

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #2,722 of 4,059
Hello,
I show the photo of stator and I observed that it has no holes for bolts. Can I suppose that all the stators and spacers are bond with glue?

T. Sarafidis

No. Stax puts the driver in an enclosure that sandwiches everything together. Therefore there are no screw holes.

Hello,
I am looking the reason for central big hole (1cm diameter). I suppose that around this hole there in no electrical field, thus this membrane area does not oscilate. Possibly there is in order to simulate the spherical waves. Do you know about this?

T. Sarafidis

I don't know the exact reason for that hole.

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #2,723 of 4,059
Hi Janosch,

I noticed that you didn't insulate your stators. Using 0.5 mm spacers, everything has to be perfect. Just a tiny bit of dust can cause unpleasant noises in the driver. Please spray paint your stators to insulate them and clean them really well.

Wachara C.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #2,724 of 4,059
hey wachara :) today was a great day :) i bought a cheapo lepy 20w amplifier and guess what IT WORKS :D the amp from my collegue is damaged so my desing was from the beginning OK not perfect but workable yeah :)

where you mean to spraypaint the stators? the copper side or the outside?

cheers happy janosch

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #2,726 of 4,059
Where are you from, Coinmaster?
If you are in the London - Essex area, you are more than welcome to come round and back to back audition mine with any headphone you choose. Then you can decide for yourself!
I am sure other stats DIY'ers (in their respective areas) would welcome you as well....

David.

Jun 29, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #2,727 of 4,059
Oh man I wish I was, you seem like my kind of fellow. I'm from Connecticut, USA. I ask because over the past year I've done a lot design and development of ultra high end amps and unfortunately during one of my prototype tests I had quite a large amount of DC current surge through my HD800s rendering them damaged (they still work but the frequency response is all over the place). From what I've read here and there it seems like DIY headphones can sound just as good or better then commercial ones and if I'm going to get new headphones I might as well make "better" ones if I can. Although no one seems to want to give a straight answer as to whether diy headphones are actually on par with commercial ones.

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #2,729 of 4,059
Hello,
Can you compare the frequency responce with central hole and without it? Is it possible the central hole to have better frequency responce in low frequencies ? I think that it changes the oscillating modes of membrane.

No. Stax puts the driver in an enclosure that sandwiches everything together. Therefore there are no screw holes.

I don't know the exact reason for that hole.

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #2,730 of 4,059
I don't think so. And I have no way to measure them.

On my two DIY versions of JF clone, one with center big hole and the other without, the sounds have no noticable difference.

Since this is a DIY thread, I encourage you to make them and try them out by yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back