My DIY electrostatic headphones
Feb 29, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #2,056 of 4,061
@ GvTT
Thanks for the thread links to the T2. I will read this later in the week.
The main differences are my energiser uses single Metal Oxide resistors on the anodes. They are rated at 3W, 500v operating voltage. These do not produce any noise in the circuit, which was mensioned in the TubeCAD article. These Metal Oxides resistors were probably not around back them.... :). The heater supplies are four separate 12v switched mode power supplies. The four tubes are each supplied with it's own supply, where the heaters on each tube are powered in series at 12v and commoned on each cathode. With the potential difference between the ECC83 cathode and 5965 cathode being at about 283v it is far too big to use one heater supply per channel unless it is floating, which is something I don't like doing. The SMPS's on the heaters eliminate mains hum.
The DC bias voltage is 543v (48v RMS from the transformer feeding an 8* multiplier; 2^1/2 * 48 *8 = 543v). The common is fed to the CT of the HT. I do not use a virtual common by using a resistor network between the plates.
There is not a volume control. I use either a preamp (Rotel RC971) or feed the energiser directly from my PC sound card... The plate voltage peak to peak when using the PC as a source measures a maximum output of around 1200v (measured on an oscilloscope), more than enough even with ESHS plates using each spacer as wide as 1.1mm.

@ Wachara
The HT is about +/- 310v. Maybe a bit more...
I only have two energisers. My original transformer energiser, and this valve energiser.
The valve energiser is obviously far bettter, especially at higher frequencies where the transformers really struggle above 15-16kHz...
The transformer energiser has now been placed in the garage....

Muamp (David).

Mar 1, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #2,057 of 4,061

hi there
I have repaired another lambda owe to your kindness and to the fact that you told me what product to use to make the mylar conductive.

first, the driver will seem ugly and dirty to you ( and they are) it is due to the fact that I have been working on these ones again and again and they were close to the trash, as I could never succeed in  mending them. but now they work very fine !
Georg, by the way, I nearly repaired the one with the broken stator I told you about, but I still have bad contacts sometimes, that give imabalance from time to time, and the imbalance goes away depending on the hand pressure I put on the recomposed driver, so I am wondering wether, on some stax, the imabalance could come from a ill position of the elements of the driver, and not only because of the membrane to be changed
so the parts of the driver you will see are ugly, because each time I finished a repair operation,  I had to glue the whole with glue that melts with heat( don’t know the english word, then, as I probably will have to use it quite a few times in the explaination, I will call it hot glue. sorry, but I am still french and not on my way to become english nor american before a few decades) please correct me when you read. I insist on the fact that my other mendings are cleaner than what you will see.
my hands are dirty too, lol, because I am in a wide repairing moment, and one of my printers (I am a writer and I print my books myself), had a big issue. so I have black ink on my hands.(yes, the printer is repaired too, after a three days fierce struggle against the machine)
what I will show here is what I do, I offer no guarantee that you will be able to have the same result (seven lambdas repaired now out of eight I own) but I think it will have good results on many old lambdas that don’t work anymore, and it would be too bad to leave them in a box if you have some. In my opinion, as a sound engineer and french dubber for movies, they are the best headphones ever for monitoring. and a big pleasure to listen to.
well first, I will show how to replace the protective membrane. This is most of the time the only issue of a lambda, and the point is that when we use it a long time, the warmth of our head makes condensation, humidity, this humidity is not stopped by the membrane, which has holes, and makes short circuits that give the static noises about which many stax user are talking about. the statics can apparently also be given by dust. But I repaired the stax in a non dust-free room, and I had no static issue after mending, only for my last lambda, but I think it is coming from a bad contact.
if you want to be sure you have this very problem of the protective membrane, try your stax, use it long enough for it to sound static problems. Then, stop using it. If, the following day, at the moment when you put the headphones on your head, you have no static noises, it means that the humidity has gone, and then, no static problem. If you still have static problèmes, then, there maybe dust on the central (sounding ) membrane, or if you have an imbalance, you probably have dust on it, or a problem with it.
But for the time being, let’s talk about the protective membrane, that I will call the PM. ( and MM for the main membrane, the one that makes the sound)
To change your protective membrane is very possible if you are patient, attentive, and take care not to brake the copper pieces of the stator that are used to solder the wires. they are very fragile, don’t move them nor change their position.
first, you have to remove the cans, which is very easy, gently removing its attaches on the sides. Take a photo of your lambda before you dissassemble it, because there are possibilities to mix things when reassembling it, things must be put back in a certain way.

unplug your stax form the amp. and be very careful, there are 540 volts in there, said to be tethal. I advise to wear plastic gloves

No need to remove the pads, you have four screws on the corners here

then, to remove the parts that hold the driver, push on the part where you can see I do, This will make the part pop out, don't be too strong, but it needs to be firm anyway.

notice the position of the wires that you will unsolder and solder after the mending
the wire with a continus white stripe is the +, the center is very probably the 540 volts wire,
le last one on the left is the -.

Once unsoldered, maitain with a bit of tape the stopper next to the wires, or it can fall down somwhere, and you can make mistakes while reassembling

remove the driver from the parts on which it is glued. Insist, it will come.
the PM is this membrane which was on the side of your ear when you listened to the headphones. The MM cannot be seen at that time, so you cannot make a mistake.
the PM is held by a very thin metal ring, maybe a tenth of a millimeter,  use a cutter to remove it, and you don't have to keep it or reuse it, it doesn't affect the sound.
here are two of these rings :

when you have removed it, the damaged PM came with it.
you have to remove, then, the ticker plastic ring that was just stick to the thin ring. still with the cutter. 

on the picture, it is on the left. You must leave the driver intact, meaning the black-cooper-copper-black rings on the right. the left ring is just there to hold the PM.

Then, you will need new mylar. The best I found wis used in houses, on furniture, when one leaves for a long while. It is supposed to last, then. And even if I can't be sure of it, because my oldest repairs are only six month old ( The mylar is still perfect now)
I think it is a good product to use for that. it must be very thin, mine is 7 microns. but probably thinner could work,as originally, stax uses thinner. But when I listen to my repaired stax, if  I compare the sound from an original driver to a repaired one, I cannot hear any différence.
and (maybe i am repeating myslef, hope not ?) I have very good ears.rather special. When I was at the information days of the army, long ago, they were very surprised, and told me that in a case of war, I would have worked in a submarine, listenig to every sound
I could then hear for 5 hz to 50 000. Know, I am fifty, so It must not be the same. But I still can hear quite good, and it is important to say that, I think, when you are explianing that you are repairing your stax.

so, on the picture just up there, you can see the side of the driver. there are two copper parts in the "center", these are the stators, and you will only have to separate them with a cutter if you have to change the MM.

to change this PM, you have to find a good glue. I tried many, and even another one, that I wrote about previously on the thread, but today, I could see that it was not the best glue for the lambda membranes.
here is the roller glue I am using
http://www.hobbylobby.com/Scrapbook-Paper-Crafts/Glues-Adhesives/Runners/E-Z-Runner-Vellum-Tape/p/13855

then, you have to glue the side of the plastic ring with this roller. You can replace the mylar in the first seconds, but after, you won't be able to do it without tearing it.
cut a piece of mylar a bit larger than the ring, and take care there is no hole in it, no noticeable dust on it. put the mylar on one side, then, turn the driver, mylar-glued side next to your belly. Block it on your belly, and stretch very gently the mylar, to put the opposite side of it on the glue. Your don't need to have a very strongly strecthed mylar. if you do, it will affect the sound on certains frequencies.

here is the result. you can stretch it a bit more, gently with your thumb on the ring. make sure there is no hole, or you will have to redo it.
normally, the glued spaces are white or grey when using the good glue I gave the link to. On this picture, I used another glue which was not good enouch, and I had to redo.

cut the remaining mylar with a cutter blade

glue the result on the edges of the ring , with the roller
once glued :

put the ring back on the driver

result

using a hot glue pistol, put glue all around on the sides, the edge of the whole and make it thin with the end of the pistol

result :

glue the ring that will be stuck against its standing part

result
put it back on its standing part

use the same hot glue to glue the driver back to its standing part.

result

re solder the three wires

when putting back in the can, take care that the thinner part of the pad must be in front of the thicker part of the can

put back the stopper

remount the screws and the cans, you're done !

If you still are expermienting sound problems, then the MM very probably is the source. here is how I change it

with the cutter, seperate the two copper parts, the stators, as shown here. Sometimes it is hard, sometimes easy. take care to the blade, don't get wounded !
you only can do that after you have removed the glue wich is originally on the sides of the driver, still with the cutter.
after that, be gentle with all your moves. it is very fragile inside.

the MM will appear here, mine is terribly damaged, because as I knew exactly what and how to do, I was not very gentle. Stax makes me suffer, I have to revenge somhow !

the MM is removed and the ring cleaned. You can clean the stator if needed, with something which will not leave humidity : alcohol, for instance, or an compressed air .

glue the copper (side) , take care not to put glue on the rest of the stator. if you do, clean it with alcohol

make sure the mylar is ok

put it on one length and press to glue well

do the same on the opposite side, stretching a bit

do the same on the other sides, one by one

put a bit of the static liquid on a handkerchief, and put the product on the mylar (one side is enough). don't spread the liquide on the whole mylar, only on the effective part of it (not on the sides, you can leave half a cm without product on the sides. if you put it on the whole, it will not work as well as partly.

glue the side of the ring with the roller. no glue on the rest of the mylar is much better !!!

stick it back. Don't wait too long to do this. Glue the other side of the stator wich will be stuck also back
then, glue the edges of the reassembled stator with the hot glue, and follow the same explainations as for the PM for the rest.
You're done !

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #2,059 of 4,061
Can anyone help me with this?

I have just taken delivery on "10pc CMC 8P Tube Socket Gold plated Pin Hex-Snap 2x10mm Hole". These are the pins to make a Stax Pro Socket.
I was a bit suprised, thinking they would be bigger. I had read somewhere that XLR pins were the same size as the Stax Pro. These are smaller.
Could some one measure the diameter of the Stax pins on the plug. Ideally if you have a micrometer, even better.
Cheers.

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #2,060 of 4,061
Can anyone help me with this?

I have just taken delivery on "10pc CMC 8P Tube Socket Gold plated Pin Hex-Snap 2x10mm Hole". These are the pins to make a Stax Pro Socket.
I was a bit suprised, thinking they would be bigger. I had read somewhere that XLR pins were the same size as the Stax Pro. These are smaller.
Could some one measure the diameter of the Stax pins on the plug. Ideally if you have a micrometer, even better.
Cheers.

Stax pins (Male 5/6 pin amphenol connectors) are exactly 2.38mm in diameter, with clearance to 2.4mm. Sounds like you accidentally got a 165 or a 91T series connector.

These are the ones you want. There should be a female connector down near the amphernol 5 and 6 pin connectors that's the exact dimensions.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #2,061 of 4,061
Originally Posted by GvTT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A nightmare to deburr. Does someone have a trick here? How do you clean up the edges?

I've found that a sharp razor blade works very well on soft copper, and if you can get the entry angle right you can de-burr a few holes at a time.

Also, if you don't have any already, I'd recommend high flute count double compression bits for relatively burrless holes in FR4. I was getting really crappy cuts with regular dill bits and end mill bits.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #2,062 of 4,061
Hello wppk,

thank you for sharing this with us.

I did not expect that it would be such a mess taking the STAX apart. It all seems glued and bonded together.

I have a few questions though:

a.) is this the Mylar you got from the store selling furnature covers?
(Mine looks a bit different, not so opaque. The stuff I got from DuPont is high gloss, see through like glass...)

b.) you stetch the membrane just by hand? Wow!
No stretcher or anything?

c.) then you apply the antistatic clearner, you stay away about 5mm from the spacer. Do you make contact in one section or do you keed the distance all around?

Glad to know it works. My Lambdas are still working fine, even if I think that they lost tension over the years.
It is allways a great help to know what you will find when takig things apart. You pictures really help there.

I just finished the woodwork of my inner tire stretcher. I will post picutes one it's complete.

Greetings
Georg

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #2,064 of 4,061
Hi Wppk,

Thanks for sharing the information with us.

May I give you a tip?  For cutting away Mylar, the best tool to use is the tip of a soldering iron.  It'll melt through Mylar and give you a nice cut.

How you manage to stretch the Mylar without using a stretcher is amazing.  Please do share with us more details.

Wachara C.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #2,065 of 4,061
thank you Georg and chinsettawong, and to all those who gave me good reputation !

Georg, I am not sure to understand your first question... I bought it very cheap from a diy shop (like 7 euros for 10 square meters) , and it purpose is to cover furnitures. I tried other mylars but they didn't give good results.
b and for chinsettawong  : no stretcher, and the glueing is immediate. as many very simple things, it is quite hard to explain. I put the glue. Press rather firmly the mylar on one large side, as shown ( take care that when you put the mylar the fisrt time, it is  stretched from the right to the left, so that nothing gets wrinkled in the end, then, I turn the driver the other way round, block it on my body, and gently stretch, then put the mylar on the opposite side. pressing then on the new stuck part, gently. then I spin the driver, and stretch it a bit more, on the short side. before puting the mylar on the ring, I make sure that there is no fold. After, I spin it the opposite way, and do the same for the last side to glue. After, I press rather firmly all around the ring , where the mylar is glued. If needed, I gently stretch again, with my thumb, to have the whole well set. I have to take care not to wait too long before I put the glue on the other ring, wich will fit the first, and then, make everything strong. and then, making sure  one last time that the mylar is perfectly tight, I make the two rings front again, and press them firmly. Then, I put the hot glue on the sides of the driver, still in a short delay. No real hurry in all that, but no time to waste neither. 

thanks Chinsettawong for the tip. But doen't it make the tip too dirty ?

for you c question, Georg, I don't really calculate, because I don't have much time to end the gluing process, so, I put the antistatic product making my best not to fill the mylar. of course, then, it is not precise at all.

the pc wizard : sorry, I don't really catch it ... where do you want to put the mylar and what for ?

all the best

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #2,066 of 4,061
Just a quick hint. Dremel makes a woodburining/soldering iron that comes with a tip which will take an exacto blade. You used to be able to to buy the screw in tip as an accessory. It with a number 11 xacto blade is perfect for fine cuts.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #2,067 of 4,061
thanks for the dremel info
i have to say that one of the stax I have repaired ( photos I left ) went out of balance. I don't know why. have to find... and will tell you if I do .
for the time being, the repair that works for long is the PM protective membrane changing. for the other one, maybe I will have to find a stronger glue.

so, the following day : I repaired one lambda. the problem was not the membrane, but the stator, which doesn't fit well now, can't figure exactly what is going on. so it makes noises. and the sound is not as good as it should be.

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #2,068 of 4,061
for you c question, Georg, I don't really calculate, because I don't have much time to end the gluing process, so, I put the antistatic product making my best not to fill the mylar. of course, then, it is not precise at all.

Hello Wppk,

sorry for not expressing it in more detail when I asked "question C".

There is surely nothing to calculate there, at least nothing that would be worth giving a try.
My question was concerning the application of your coating:
you connect the bias voltage to one of the spacers. This spacer should be in contact with the coated mylar, so the charge can populate the membrane.
So I was wondering if you made a section where the coating comes to the spacer.

If this is not the case, either your Mylar must already be coated or/and it should take a long time for the charge to build up. In this case the headphone should be very quiet at the beginning.
(Maybe your Mylar is already treated, as it's purpose seams to be to cover furnature. This would be easier with a material that will not stick to everything by electrostatic.)

Do you have a clue how thick your Mylar is?
Maybe you can provide some more information on this material. Something is strange to me with this stuff. (Don't misunderstand me, something seems strange, not meaning there is something wrong with it.
That you might only treat the center of the membrane and can stretch the membrane by hand (and get good sound) is amazing. This might be the stuff you could use in a DIY kit ;-P
I would be interested in having a closer look at your mylar, maybe we can arrange for a sample to be shipped to me (Germany). I would try to measure the conductivity, thickness and elongation under load. This might give a hint if it's just pure mylar.

Greetings
Georg

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #2,069 of 4,061
well in fact I have no section with the coating coming to the spacer. it's glued all around, with no gap.
I don't think my mylar is already coated, because it sticks a bit on what it touches. and if I don't use the product I added in  my explainations, the sound is weak. and when I use the product, it works at once, without waiting, with a wonderful sound. the sound is getting poorer when I have problems withe the position of the stators when reassembling the driver.
when I bought the mylar, it was said to be 7 microns thick (written on the package)
don't worry I don't have problems with your finding it strange. who wouldn't find strange things in all that ?
the mylar I bought was found in a Leroy Merlin DYE shop in Dijon, burgundy, France. where we have probably better mustard and grand crus than mylar, I assume. Of course, I can send some to you (talking about the mylar, not the wine or mustard). please give me your postal address in a pm. that would be very interesting to have your observations on it.

I'd like to add, too, that is true that I have a weak sound when I don't coat the mylar. that is the reason of my writing on this post ( one of the reasons indeed). The point was that I had changed the MM, and used a product that was antistatic. and it pefectly worked; After a while, the sound went weak, and I supposed that it came form the fact that the product I had used had lost its antistatic properties. So I asked for another product that would work and last, and that is what you gave me here, thank you again.

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #2,070 of 4,061
Hi wppk,

I don't think the product you use for diaphragm is Mylar. It might have been the similar product as food wrap plastic. I have tried it a long time ago when I first started making my headphones. Yea, with that plastic, you surely can stretch it by hands. It can elongate so much before it tears. It can sound quite amazing too.

With 7 micron Mylar, I don't think you can stretch it like the way you described. It's just too strong.

About your sound getting weaker after a while, it might have been the problem with your diaphragm not stable and collapsing to one side (sticking to one stator).

This kind of plastic, while is OK for testing purpose, is not good for long term usage, IMO.

Wachara C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back