My DAC/Amp is underwhelming - Why?
Sep 1, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #31 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know anything specific about the amp you have but I know my portable mini3 doesn't have the same punch as my old Little Dot MKIII did. I think it's a function of voltage swing.

Also you didn't say how you have the dac hooked up. Are you on XP and if so are you bypassing kmixer?

Mine's set up for bit-perfect playback according to the ASIO guide.

I don't think a Mini3 is comparable to a LDMk3. For one, it's powered through the wall on 12V DC, I believe, and for another, it's a tube amplifier. That's a different sound signature, no?

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #32 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are numerous problems with this; for instance how long were they given to listen to equipment, I mean I personally think head-fi meets are pointless for a few reasons; One, you have only a short period to listen to the equipment, not a couple weeks in the comfort of your own home... and two; generally have to listen to the equipment at a louder volume than you are used too because of all chit-chatter going on.

Once again, if it takes you a couple of weeks in the comfort of your home to hear differences between two piece of equipment, then the differences are obvious very small (if they exist at all). You are just reinforcing my point.

Quote:

The same can be said for just about everything, even headphones... going from my $30 JVCs to Denon D2000s or Ultrasone HFI-780 are also minimal, just as minimal as going between different Amps and DACs.

Not really. I have yet to hear two headphones that I could not immediately differentiate. I have listened to the HD800's, PS1000, SR-007's, Ed8's, HD650's, and lots of crappy phones, and they ALL sound completely different and the difference is immediately audible. The same cannot be said of amps and DAC's.

Quote:

. And I don't ever buy magazines because generally they are full of crap as your link proved,

Oh okay. How about a paper published in an audio engineering journal (JAES) that summarizes about 20 different experiments that essentially say the same thing as the Stereo Review article? I can send you a link if you're interested (but I know you're not).

Quote:

my thinking behind the magazine no longer in print was if they published something like that and stood behind it they basically talked themselves out of a job... see what I'm saying?

Exactly! It was obviously financially disadvantageous for SR to publish that article (as it was for the magazine Audio to publish a similar one) - which means that the evidence is even more damning!

Quote:

No, I'm saying the online tests are complete nonsense, I know I don't have better hearing than a dog... I put it down crappy equipment, with my amp I can only hear a few of them, with no amp I can here them all. Get a real test done at a doctors office... this self diagnoses is disastrous.

Woh. First of all, an audiogram performed in a "doctor's office" only tests hearing from 250Hz to 4kHz - they are trying to diagnose hearing loss in the speech range. Audiograms do NOT detect high frequency hearing loss. Please get your facts straight. Secondly, who said anything about online tests? Any monkey can use a sine wave generator available in numerous audio software packages to determine one's highest audible frequency.

Quote:

Well some day you should make a really fancy looking amp, a huge monstrous $6,000 amplifier and bring it to a meet... have people test it, see what they think of it... and then at the end of the day open it up to expose a single wire from input to output... that would be believable, none of this I paid 7 people $20 and this is there alleged findings.

Oh, this happens all the time. If I brought on a monstrous expensive-looking amplifier and had people listen to it, they undoubtedly would tell me how amazing it sounded blah blah blah. Then, when I opened it up to reveal a $10 CMOY amp, they would probably get pissed...on that note, people thought Grado's $700 RA-1 amp was amazing and really brought out the best qualities of the expensive Grado phones...until someone opened one up and found out it's essentially a CMOY in a wooden box. DOH.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #33 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmellyGas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once again, if it takes you a couple of weeks in the comfort of your home to hear differences between two piece of equipment, then the differences are obvious very small (if they exist at all). You are just reinforcing my point.

You're missing the point and replacing it with your own. Example; when I bought Denon D2000 I loved them at first, thought that was the last headphone I would ever buy... a few months went by and I started to think to myself how boring and uninvolved the music was, it wasn't until I spent $33 on the JVC RX700 that I got back into audio again and sold the Denons.

Quote:

Not really. I have yet to hear two headphones that I could not immediately differentiate. I have listened to the HD800's, PS1000, SR-007's, Ed8's, HD650's, and lots of crappy phones, and they ALL sound completely different and the difference is immediately audible. The same cannot be said of amps and DAC's.

Funnily enough your preference of headphone is expensive; HD800's, PS1000, SR-007's, Ed8's ~ so if it has a high price tag you tell yourself it must be good and noticeably different, yet you don't play the same game on the source. Now let me ask you, what gives the HD800 it's high price tag, is it the material used, perhaps the engineering that went into it, or is it simply because if they charge a lot more for it then it must be a lot better than there previous headphones. You see you pick and choose where to spend your money, you justify a $1400 headphone because it sounds a little better than a $200 headphone, but won't apply the same thinking to the source. Furthermore did you hear the HD800s from a portable CD player or an expensive amp/DAC?

Quote:

Oh okay. How about a paper published in an audio engineering journal (JAES) that summarizes about 20 different experiments that essentially say the same thing as the Stereo Review article? I can send you a link if you're interested (but I know you're not).

Exactly! It was obviously financially disadvantageous for SR to publish that article (as it was for the magazine Audio to publish a similar one) - which means that the evidence is even more damning!

So despite this 'obviously financial disadvantageous' SR published the article in 1998 and continued presumably for the next 10 years to promote and 'talk up' amplifiers, DACs, CD players and so on. Almost as if the article was never even printed?

Quote:

Woh. First of all, an audiogram performed in a "doctor's office" only tests hearing from 250Hz to 4kHz - they are trying to diagnose hearing loss in the speech range. Audiograms do NOT detect high frequency hearing loss. Please get your facts straight. Secondly, who said anything about online tests? Any monkey can use a sine wave generator available in numerous audio software packages to determine one's highest audible frequency.

And I can use a stethoscope, it doesn't make me a doctor. Your choice of soundcard could be limited to producing 20Hz to 20kHz (especially as you don't buy quality source) and therefore you'll hear more than you should. Don't you see what I'm saying, when I do the tests directly out of my soundcard using software I can hear them all, even the ones only a Dog or a Dolphin can here, and I am neither.

Quote:

Oh, this happens all the time. If I brought on a monstrous expensive-looking amplifier and had people listen to it, they undoubtedly would tell me how amazing it sounded blah blah blah. Then, when I opened it up to reveal a $10 CMOY amp, they would probably get pissed...on that note, people thought Grado's $700 RA-1 amp was amazing and really brought out the best qualities of the expensive Grado phones...until someone opened one up and found out it's essentially a CMOY in a wooden box. DOH.

You do this all the time... so supposedly numerous people can back you up on this from there first hand experience with you?

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #34 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a different sound signature, no?

I think of it like this. A tube amp has a "fractal" edge to the sound, a non distinct barrier at the edge of the sound. SS on the other hand, is delineated on the edges by a continuous series of steps. SS has far less distortion but when it does distort it's more like noise whereas tubes distort more harmoniously - like when you see sugar mixing into iced tea or contrails off the wings of a jet. If that makes any sense.

The mini3 is "faster" and more accurate, but I think since its voltage is limited more than the 120 volt desktop amp, it can't grab ahold of the drivers as forcefully. The LD literally would make the HD650's rumble on my head. But the mini3 is actually cleaner.

Since you're running ASIO all I can really say is that maybe what you're after isn't gonna happen until you get something that grabs ahold of your drivers and makes them rumble. Portable amps are limited in this department.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #35 of 225
Can I just say thankyou to SmellyGas for giving your interesting views. At times, this forum can be a bit of an echo chamber, so I've enjoyed readng your posts. Your position would seem to make sense intuitively. (Not that it makes my decision for a dac to replace my onboard laptop audio any easier).
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #36 of 225
Quote:

The reality is that the source and amp don't make dramatic differences in sound quality. You've fallen for one of the classic "shared delusions" that is propagated and reinforced by people on these audio forums. Undoubtedly, someone will appear and tell you there's something wrong with your ears if you cannot hear the incredible improvement of this dac/amp upgrade, or perhaps he/she will claim that you have headphone/amp mismatch. You might even be tempted to upgrade your source/amp, only to find that it sounds....exact the same. Now, in all fairness, I would have expected there to be a subtle improvement going from a sound card to a dedicated amp...but that being said, if you want to dramatically alter your sound, upgrade your headphones.

If you don't think the source does not make much of a difference I have some stax to sell you with your laptops internal sound card. I think most folks who have been around a while will agree that the source is the main contributor to sound. Start with crap - end with crap. No sense throwing a $500 pair of cans on a cheap soundcard on a chip. But if you like that sort of thing, have at it.

Kind of like using your rca victrola for listening to your vinyl collection. The source matters!

I do agree that some amps are subtle, but then again it is all in how one perceives value. Lots of mediocre dacs can sound the same, but hear a good one with decent cans and you can be much happier. If not, who............wee, save yourself a lot of cash and listen to what you have.

I'd much rather be delusional
atsmile.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #37 of 225
SmellyGas, you figured it out. This whole audio business, the websites, forums, trade shows, all of it, was really just part of an elaborate rouse to see if you would notice that it was just a big scam. Congratulations on figuring it out. Jokes over people, go about your business. Nothing to see here.
ph34r.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #38 of 225
Remember the Gaincard everyone? Great amp wasn't it?

(actually it was, just really overpriced . . . yet many gobbled it up till they saw an OPAMP. HOW DARE THEY?!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby
If you don't think the source does not make much of a difference I have some stax to sell you with your laptops internal sound card.

You're missing a key point of his argument, which is "assuming nothing is deficient". In other words if A measures the same or so close to B they sound the same. With onboard sound you have to worry about crosstalk, underpowered output stages, interference . . . all of which gets worse with a laptop due to placement of parts.

You'll hear a difference with DACs and amps till the law of diminising returns, assuming you strive for accurate reproduction. Tubes are too subjective and measure all over the board to even be considered usually. If you like their sound great, but they are used purely for ones own tastes.

As for hearing massive differences in headphones, it depends on the headphones. A blind test with Grado vs. Grado would be quite hard I imagine if they have similar FR and square wave response. A Sennheiser compared to a Grado would generally be seen as a night and day difference, depending on the models of course (HD650 vs. RS-1 for example).

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #39 of 225
I can hear clear signatures among my headphones -- HD580, ATH-AD700, Etymotics ER6 -- but I can source the more efficient Etys and ATs through just about anything -- any of several amps I've had and still have, old receivers, my iPod Touch, or even straight out of my MacBook Pro and the differences are subtle enough that I'm not at all sure I'm not imagining them, subtle enough that when listening blindly, I can't identify them.

Could be my hearing, but then again there are lots of things I can hear, like those headphones, the differences between masters of the same recordings, sometimes even, mike placement and choice. So I suspect our controversial poster is more or less right. Are there differences? Probably. Are they "night and day?" That's just silly. If you've got a good quality DAC and amp, both of which have respectably low noise and distortion, appropriate input and output impedances, enough power to supply good headroom and flat response...spend your money on music and transducers. MHO. YMMV. Etc.

P

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #40 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funnily enough your preference of headphone is expensive; HD800's, PS1000, SR-007's, Ed8's ~ so if it has a high price tag you tell yourself it must be good and noticeably different, yet you don't play the same game on the source.

The simple and OBVIOUS answer is that these headphones have large differences in frequency response curves. Amp's and DAC's typically don't.

Quote:

So despite this 'obviously financial disadvantageous' SR published the article in 1998 and continued presumably for the next 10 years to promote and 'talk up' amplifiers, DACs, CD players and so on. Almost as if the article was never even printed?

Yep. Because people like you and a lot of people here refused to acknowledge the results. People buy these audio magazines to read how "clean and transparent" the sound is, how it made the listener's toes tap, etc. - that's what sells magazines.

Quote:

And I can use a stethoscope, it doesn't make me a doctor. Your choice of soundcard could be limited to producing 20Hz to 20kHz (especially as you don't buy quality source) and therefore you'll hear more than you should. Don't you see what I'm saying, when I do the tests directly out of my soundcard using software I can hear them all, even the ones only a Dog or a Dolphin can here, and I am neither.

Okay so that made absolutely no sense to me. I think what you're trying to say is that using your web-based tests, you can hear test tones beyond 20khz. This leaves three possibilities. 1) you are actually a dog or non-human animal, 2) you have supranormal hearing, or 3) the test tones were not pure sine waves, but blended tones that have lower frequencies mixed in. The fact that you claim to have downloaded web-based test tones and not a sine-wave generator suggests #3. The quality and thought put into your responses suggests #1.[/QUOTE]

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwatkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I just say thankyou to SmellyGas for giving your interesting views. At times, this forum can be a bit of an echo chamber, so I've enjoyed readng your posts. Your position would seem to make sense intuitively. (Not that it makes my decision for a dac to replace my onboard laptop audio any easier).
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, man. Most of the stuff I write is basically the position argued and supported by the writers and engineers who contribute to The Audio Critic magazine. Needless to say, they don't have a very large advertising budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SmellyGas, you figured it out. This whole audio business, the websites, forums, trade shows, all of it, was really just part of an elaborate rouse to see if you would notice that it was just a big scam. Congratulations on figuring it out. Jokes over people, go about your business. Nothing to see here.
ph34r.gif

You're mostly correct. The whole audio business is essentially driven by sales and marketing. When you walk into an audio retail showroom, are you met with engineers? Nope. You're met with SALESpeople. They're GOOD salespeople, and they're good at selling you things. Nobody disagrees that transducers (speakers, headphones) differ in how they sound. This has even been confirmed experimentally (blind listening tests). However, when it comes to things like cables, DAC's, amps, green markers on CD's, etc. it all comes down to the basic question - are there measurable differences that are compatible with audible differences? In most cases, the answer is no. That is the big scam of audio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're missing a key point of his argument, which is "assuming nothing is deficient". In other words if A measures the same or so close to B they sound the same. With onboard sound you have to worry about crosstalk, underpowered output stages, interference . . . all of which gets worse with a laptop due to placement of parts.

Thank you for being one of the few people who actually READS what I write.

Quote:

As for hearing massive differences in headphones, it depends on the headphones. A blind test with Grado vs. Grado would be quite hard I imagine if they have similar FR and square wave response.

I have never A/B'd two Grado's, but I have A/B'd Sennheiser 535 vs. 580 and 580 vs. 650, and for each, the difference is immediately audible to me. However, if two headphones had nearly identical FR curves, similar distortion vs. frequency, etc., then they would probably be hard to tell apart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can hear clear signatures among my headphones -- HD580, ATH-AD700, Etymotics ER6 -- but I can source the more efficient Etys and ATs through just about anything -- any of several amps I've had and still have, old receivers, my iPod Touch, or even straight out of my MacBook Pro and the differences are subtle enough that I'm not at all sure I'm not imagining them, subtle enough that when listening blindly, I can't identify them.

Could be my hearing, but then again there are lots of things I can hear, like those headphones, the differences between masters of the same recordings, sometimes even, mike placement and choice. So I suspect our controversial poster is more or less right. Are there differences? Probably. Are they "night and day?" That's just silly. If you've got a good quality DAC and amp, both of which have respectably low noise and distortion, appropriate input and output impedances, enough power to supply good headroom and flat response...spend your money on music and transducers. MHO. YMMV. Etc.

P

Exactly! Everybody here can tell you different headphones sound different. Nobody will argue that they measure differently. On the other hand, if there are no significant measurable differences in equipment, how COULD their possibly be audible differences?

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #41 of 225
SmellyGas, you say that much of high-end audio is driven by sales and marketing. That is true.

However, how do you explain the small - but significant - portion of the market that designs and builds their own amplifiers? Most are aware their designs have no commercial viability, they build for the fun of it. Many breadboard their amps and slowly tweak the designs while listening and measuring. These are people with plenty of technical knowledge and test equipment. Are they completely delusional? Are they not really hearing what is confirmed by their measurements? After all, amateur speaker designers do the same exact thing, and you acknowledge a difference between speakers.

You can contrast that with the cable industry. There are no measurements because you "can't" measure cables. There's no amateur body of technical knowledge for cables. All you ever find is that typical "silver is bright/copper is warm" crap and people talking about how to put Techflex over a cable. There isn't a shred of science in what little amateur cable writings exist. However, there are many scientific amateur writings on amplification going back a few decades.

I do agree that much of high-end audio is repackaging the old and fomenting sales with "new" products that aren't much different from the old ones. But that doesn't mean that amateur experimenters aren't doing legitimate work.

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #42 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, how do you explain the small - but significant - portion of the market that designs and builds their own amplifiers? Most are aware their designs have no commercial viability, they build for the fun of it. Many breadboard their amps and slowly tweak the designs while listening and measuring. These are people with plenty of technical knowledge and test equipment. Are they completely delusional? Are they not really hearing what is confirmed by their measurements? After all, amateur speaker designers do the same exact thing, and you acknowledge a difference between speakers.

I fail to see what you're saying here, even though it's aimed at SmellyGas. How can measurements endorse "darkness" between notes and "transparency"? If there's a supporting measurement that finds a deficiency between one of two amps then obviously one is not on the level of performance as the other. Assuming this isn't a dismal difference then it would make sense it's found during listening tests . . . .

Do you have an example of what you're trying to say?

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #43 of 225
Quote:

However, when it comes to things like cables, DAC's, amps, green markers on CD's, etc. it all comes down to the basic question - are there measurable differences that are compatible with audible differences? In most cases, the answer is no. That is the big scam of audio.

While I know what you are saying here is wrong, I will indulge you here. When I swap the op-amps on my sound card, the difference from one op-amp to another is extremely noticeable; as noticeable even as changing headphones. Nothing is defective and I still get as much current as I need to drive my headphones without distortion. Both op-amps are easily capable of producing a frequency range that goes beyond what I am capable of hearing at both ends of the spectrum, and yet they sound totally different.

So please tell me how do you explain that and reconcile that all DAC's sound exactly the same?

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #44 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I know what you are saying here is wrong, I will indulge you here. When I swap the op-amps on my sound card, the difference from one op-amp to another is extremely noticeable; as noticeable even as changing headphones. Nothing is defective and I still get as much current as I need to drive my headphones without distortion. Both op-amps are easily capable of producing a frequency range that goes beyond what I am capable of hearing at both ends of the spectrum, and yet they sound totally different.

So please tell me how do you explain that and reconcile that all DAC's sound exactly the same?

See what he's saying as that you aren't actually hearing a difference... you just think you are. If they measure the same, then they sound the same whether you believe it or not.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back