My cat tore up my Virtual Dynamics Power 3...
Feb 5, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #31 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most connectors are rated at 10 or 15 amps. I think the 20 amp connectors have horizontal pins so they don't fit standard equipment.

WATTGATE / Marinco

^^ These are rated at 20 amps. Try Google next time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About the conductors being smashed, yep, that's what we call strain-relief.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Schurter 10 amp plug used does not have strain relief for 3 14g wires, it has strain relief for the shielding/covering of a small overall diameter cable.

The wire is smashed right next to the screw where the retaining cap comes down. See the green conductor in this picture :

DSC00091.jpg

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #32 of 773
Can you take your cat apart too? Please include pics...just kidding.

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #34 of 773
I guess the garden hose was the reason for all the talk about electricity flowing like water through unconstricted pipes!

I bet people will still be buying this stuff after seeing those pictures. Some people have a lot invested in cables, and I don't just mean money.

See ya
Steve

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #35 of 773
There was a video on Youtube with Rick Schultz of VD when they launched their partnership with Audiogon. He said there prices are based on how much emotional enjoyment you will get from the sonic experience, nothing to do with build cost.

Obviously they have figured out a way to make those inexpensive components sound good together since most of us with a Power 3 love the way they sound. I have 4 power cables (2 stock and 2 aftermarket) and I can easily tell you that the Power 3 is the best sounding one. For the people who just wish to criticize something before you even try it on your system, it's getting old already.

The OP has a legitimate concern for safety here and that's understandable. If there are build quality issues that affect safety, that is something that needs to be addressed immediately.

But I don't see you jumping down the throat of the company who makes your shampoo. A $4.00 bottle of shampoo costs about 10 - 15 cents to make. Why aren't you upset at their markups? Or how about those bottles of water people like to carry around with them everywhere? It's bad enough they cost what they do, but most use municipal city water (and will be required to put that on the labels very soon). How come you don't have a beef with them?

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #36 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a video on Youtube with Rick Schultz of VD when they launched their partnership with Audiogon. He said there prices are based on how much emotional enjoyment you will get from the sonic experience, nothing to do with build cost.

Obviously they have figured out a way to make those inexpensive components sound good together since most of us with a Power 3 love the way they sound. I have 4 power cables (2 stock and 2 aftermarket) and I can easily tell you that the Power 3 is the best sounding one. For the people who just wish to criticize something before you even try it on your system, it's getting old already.

The OP has a legitimate concern for safety here and that's understandable. But I don't see you jumping down the company who makes your shampoo. A $4.00 bottle of shampoo costs about 10 - 15 cents to make. Why aren't you upset at their markups?

Defend them to the end... Its a cheap-*** piece of housing wiring put in a garden hose to make it appear thicker then it is wrapped in some techflex to make it pretty and sold for $150. This is clearly a genius implementation. What the hell is wrong with you? The only thing you are hearing is "Virtual Dynamics" written on the cable and their marketing BS.

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #38 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really see the point in doing tests. I would definitely be subject to expectation bias now.

Anyways, I'm a little disenchanted with the whole situation.

I wish it would have at least had matched connectors rated at 20 amps, or conductors that weren't smashed (that just blows my mind).

Well at least you are honest enough to say you are affected by expectation bias.

I'm not sure what you mean by smashed. Maybe I'm not looking at the right thing in the photos.

I wish the cable wasn't destroyed though as somebody could've still used it.

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #39 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Chef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really what did you expect? Haven't been dissecting any ~$150 power cords lately have you..?

I dissected a Magic Power cable from Signal Cable that was built 10x better with better components. It was $60.

You claim that this will improve your sound? You also claim that the cheap housing wire is a "LiniPur" conductor. The same "LiniPur" conductor in your Genesis series of cables?

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #40 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WATTGATE / Marinco

^^ These are rated at 20 amps. Try Google next time.

Yep, look at the 20 Amp IEC connectors, they are horizontal and will not fit your standard vertical oriented plug, lets not bite my head off
smily_headphones1.gif
The male wall connectors, yes, those can be rated at 20 Amps, but are you pulling even 1/20 of that? No matter, just wanted to point out the IEC connector.

I have a few power cords, and can easily say that my $3 DIY line filter made a much bigger difference than the $25 Iron Lung power cord that I use for my speaker amp (I also own a Quail).

Hopefully when I build my VenHaus power cord with 3x 12AWG SPC, I'll see a nicer change.

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #41 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Defend them to the end... Its a cheap-*** piece of housing wiring put in a garden hose to make it appear thicker then it is wrapped in some techflex to make it pretty and sold for $150. This is clearly a genius implementation. What the hell is wrong with you? The only thing you are hearing is "Virtual Dynamics" written on the cable and their marketing BS.

I'm not defending anyone, buddy. If you only knew the conversation I had with our VD rep today...
rolleyes.gif
But people like you dont care to praise the good when it's good. I, on the other hand, will praise a company for a product that is good but come down just as hard on them when there is a problem with it. If you've seen my posts lately you would know that. People like you just like finding fault with a product when you haven't even tried one or own one. You jump on the "cable skeptics" bandwagon and find any thread you can possibly join for the sole purpose of attacking a company and their products to make yourself appear "cool" to the cable-bashing in-crowd. Yes, we all know their marketing strategy and choice of words are a little misplaced. But they also have some of the best audio cables and cords on the market and if you actually had one you would know that.

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #42 of 773
I think you should test it out anyway and see if it makes a difference to your system.

Maybe that metal powder is MAGIC FAIRY DUST that AUTOMAGICALY makes everything better?

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #43 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you should test it out anyway and see if it makes a difference to your system.

Maybe that metal powder is MAGIC FAIRY DUST that AUTOMAGICALY makes everything better?

Hmm... maybe it actually could be by acting as an RFI/EMI shield and raising the dielectric properties of the cable. Who knows, there could be something to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #45 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not defending anyone, buddy. If you only knew the conversation I had with our VD rep today...
rolleyes.gif
But people like you dont care to praise the good when it's good. I, on the other hand, will praise a company for a product that is good but come down just as hard on them when there is a problem with it. If you've seen my posts lately you would know that. People like you just like finding fault with a product when you haven't even tried one or own one. You jump on the "cable skeptics" bandwagon and find any thread you can possibly join for the sole purpose of attacking a company and their products to make yourself appear "cool" to the cable-bashing in-crowd. Yes, we all know their marketing strategy and choice of words are a little misplaced. But they also have some of the best audio cables and cords on the market and if you actually had one you would know that.

Problem is, you have not ever had a problem with any of their products (as far as I know). They could literally hand you a coathanger in a garden hose with their logo on it and you would praise it. That and the fact the VD straight up lies to people and you brush it off as nothing. At least Signal Cable (not that I even support Signal Cable) has products that they could actually stand behind and dont use hot glue, electric tape and garden hose. Sure they aren't as pretty on the outside, but they are nicer on the inside. All you see is the pretty outside and the pretty website and the pretty words like ProtecX and LiniPur.

Does it matter at all that the laws of physics are on the "cable skeptics" side? Its not even a matter of "skepticism", its certainty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back