My budget is 180, are MS-1's still the best?
Nov 26, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #16 of 35
You could have someone recable the MS1s with the Cardas from the extra money in your budget. It definitely helps tone down the highs, which are problematic for me with Grados / Alessandros. I personally find the Beyer DT990 to be an enjoyable can for trance, they have some nice groovy bass and you'll still have your crisp highs coming through. You should be able to find the older model for your budget (not the '05 revision).

Nov 26, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally find the Beyer DT990 to be an enjoyable can for trance, they have some nice groovy bass and you'll still have your crisp highs coming through. You should be able to find the older model for your budget (not the '05 revision).

Good recommendation. But it needs some amplification to shine though.

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #18 of 35
I think MS-1's will do rap music nicely if you use flats or taped bowls and some give Alessandro's some amplification.

I do like the punchiness of the bass in my SR-225's with flats or taped bowls.

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #20 of 35
to me the MS-1s sound like a great 2.1 setup with the subwoofer turned off. while amplification does make a difference in the positive direction, the OP said "for my ipod". they will be fine for what ever music you listen to. it wont "raise the roof" for rap but it does have bass, i was a pleasantly surprised at the level of bass. it is enough it just doesn't slam like some headphones do if that makes any sence.

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by cin__server /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to me the MS-1s sound like a great 2.1 setup with the subwoofer turned off. while amplification does make a difference in the positive direction, the OP said "for my ipod". they will be fine for what ever music you listen to. it wont "raise the roof" for rap but it does have bass, i was a pleasantly surprised at the level of bass. it is enough it just doesn't slam like some headphones do if that makes any sence.

are the mids/highs intense though? I think i'd rather have intense highs/mids than a ton of bass anyway. Bass is fine for my car system, but I dunno how enjoyable insane amounts of bass would be for headphones (usually I listen to headphones when I am doing schoolwork)

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #23 of 35
You need a system. MS1 are a great start but do not travel well . Get them and PX100s or an in ear phone and you will be set (Until the Head Fi bug Bites again)

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parisis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need a system. MS1 are a great start but do not travel well . Get them and PX100s or an in ear phone and you will be set (Until the Head Fi bug Bites again)

I was just getting these to listen to in my place, i don't plan on carrying them around. I have 30 dollar headphones from best buy that really don't suck that bad, so I use those for walking to class and stuff.

Nov 28, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #26 of 35
I just got them today. They sound really good, but the bass is definately lacking, and the sound quality isn't that big of a difference over my old one. Since I listen to rap and trance, am i screwed in that no headphone will do both well?

Nov 28, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #27 of 35
Yea I'm really thinking that I should have gotten the RP-21's now. I knew these wouldn't have a ton of bass but they barely have any bass. Does anyone know if Alessandro takes returns?

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by phyrefly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^Are you looking for 'Ricer with huge muzzler and sub in the trunk' kind of bass?

No not at all, I am about sound quality + clean bass. Car audio is my first love, and I have a "SQL" subwoofer, which means it puts off an absurd amount of bass, but retains excellent sound quality and is not boomy or muddy at all. I don't need an insane amount of bass, but the MS1's have barely more bass than my old cheapo head phones. But at this point I don't think I can return them so I might be stuck with these.

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #30 of 35
for $190, you could easily get a pair of SR225s, if the grado sound is your thing. Or you could get a pair of DT770s or DT250s. Or any number of other headphones. There are a lot of options in the under $200 market, and personal preference matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back