My budget is 180, are MS-1's still the best?
Nov 26, 2007 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

emdyeks

Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair for my iPod. I listen to all music, but the majority of my stuff is rap and trance. Are there a better pair of headphones for under 180, or should I just go with the MS-1?

Also, is the treble shrill and painful on them? I like crisp smooth highs, but I can't stand when the highs are shrill and harsh, because it hurts my ears.

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 35
Alessandros are not shrill or harsh, but the flattness of bass makes them sound like they are very bright. Not good cans for rap. Trance might be different story, but everyone has different take how they listen the trance and what attributes they want from headphone.

This time, I would recommend Equation RP-21 for rap. Easy to drive, and closed. Around 100$.

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 35
From the quick research I did, it sounds like the RP-21 is very boomy? Although I like bass a lot, I like everything balanced, I don't like the bass to overpower. I wasn't buying headphones just for more bass, I wanted better sound quality and a smoother sound. But I can't have a pair of phones that have crummy bass, but I also dont' want overpowering "boomy" bass.

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 35
In that case, MS1 is good choice. Flat and neutral sound with slight emphasis on upper mids and highs, in Grado style. There might be better choices, but I cant think one ATM.

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by emdyeks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the quick research I did, it sounds like the RP-21 is very boomy?

No, "boomy" isn't the right term. The worst anybody's called it was "wooly". The MDR-V600 is boomy.

The RP-21 has full and adequate bass. Maybe slightly less extension than a DT770 Pro/80. But it also has crisp and well-defined midrange, better than the DT770.

But bass they have and they have plenty of it, and some people don't really like bass.

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, "boomy" isn't the right term. The worst anybody's called it was "wooly". The MDR-V600 is boomy.

The RP-21 has full and adequate bass. Maybe slightly less extension than a DT770 Pro/80. But it also has crisp and well-defined midrange, better than the DT770.

But bass they have and they have plenty of it, and some people don't really like bass.

damn, this makes my decision harder then. So what are the differences between the MS1 and the RP-21? Like what does the MS1 do better than the RP-21?

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 35
MS1, better details from highs to lows, more soundstage and more energy. Might be bright for some.

RP21, much more bass quantity and reaches lower than MS1 without roll-off, smooth mids and highs. Isolates outside sounds.

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 35
Personally I still think RP21 would be better choice than Alessandro. Alessandro would be more ideal in guitar based music.

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS1, better details from highs to lows, more soundstage and more energy. Might be bright for some.

RP21, much more bass quantity and reaches lower than MS1 without roll-off, smooth mids and highs. Isolates outside sounds.

hmm, so it sounds like the MS1 would be better for trance then ? Which one is the better all around one, to be used for all kinds of music?

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

hmm, so it sounds like the MS1 would be better for trance then ? Which one is the better all around one, to be used for all kinds of music?

Thats tought one. Personally I never warmed up to RP21 so obviously I dont want to use it for all music. MS1 then again is one of my favourites, so...

Yes. Atleast in trance I have listened and in the way I want to listen Trance, MS1 would be better than RP21. But for rap MS1 bass fullness simply wont be enough.

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 35
thanks for the help guys. I thought long and hard, and I think other things are more important than me than bass, regardless of how much I like bass. Although I definately need bass, bass is the least important thing for me when it comes to the enjoyment of my music. I was originally gonna get the Grado SR80, but the reviews said they were very uncomfortable. Is the MS1 more comfortable than the SR80?

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

thanks for the help guys. I thought long and hard, and I think other things are more important than me than bass, regardless of how much I like bass. Although I definately need bass, bass is the least important thing for me when it comes to the enjoyment of my music. I was originally gonna get the Grado SR80, but the reviews said they were very uncomfortable. Is the MS1 more comfortable than the SR80?

It depends on pads. All Grados look same and the pads are interchangeable. MS1 and SR60 has comfy pads, (standard round foams) and others have bowl (cups that doesnt cover the drivers) pads. Comfy pads are more comfortable, but are not on same level in sound as bowls (yes, pads alter sound a lot!) unless one dislikes brightness. Comfy pads do muffle the highs a little bit.

*edit* Also, the comfort with Grados is very personal. Depending on earshape, they can be comfortable or complete hell. I can wear Grados with bowl pads all day long. The headband can (and also is meant to) be bent for looser fit so they wont squeeze your ears so hard.

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on pads. All Grados look same and the pads are interchangeable. MS1 and SR60 has comfy pads, (standard round foams) and others have bowl (cups that doesnt cover the drivers) pads. Comfy pads are more comfortable, but are not on same level in sound as bowls (yes, pads alter sound a lot!) unless one dislikes brightness. Comfy pads do muffle the highs a little bit.

*edit* Also, the comfort with Grados is very personal. Depending on earshape, they can be comfortable or complete hell. I can wear Grados with bowl pads all day long. The headband can (and also is meant to) be bent for looser fit so they wont squeeze your ears so hard.

what exactly is "brightness"?

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

what exactly is "brightness"?

Its about balance between treble and bass, leaning towards stronger treble and upper mids. Higher pitched sounds have more strength compared to bass. Generally can make headphones sound more sparkling or aggressive or "brilliant", depending on what frequencies have boosted. Grados and Beyerdynamics prefer this approach.

Sort of opposite of "warm", where treble is laidback and smooth, and lower mids and bass are on prominent side. Pleasent to listen, but not always really most involving musical experience. Typical Sennheiser sound.

This rarely has nothing to do with, for example, bass power. While some Sennheisers have more "bassier" and lush tone in sound, some Grados or Beyerdynamics can produce better and stronger punch or "slam" in Bass drums and such.

Hard to describe in words. If you have Hifi store nearby that carries headphones and lets you listen them, go and do so. After couple of headphones you notice easily their differences, especially meanings of warm, laidback, bright, forward and aggressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back