My budget is 180, are MS-1's still the best?
Nov 28, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by emdyeks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No not at all, I am about sound quality + clean bass. Car audio is my first love, and I have a "SQL" subwoofer, which means it puts off an absurd amount of bass, but retains excellent sound quality and is not boomy or muddy at all. I don't need an insane amount of bass, but the MS1's have barely more bass than my old cheapo head phones. But at this point I don't think I can return them so I might be stuck with these.

That's puzzling. I used the PortaPro before I got my MS-1, and although the PP (known for being bass-heavy) does have more bass quantity, the bass is somewhat bloated and can't keep up with certain tracks. The MS-1 low-end is much more refined and doesn't obstruct the mids or highs. Also, it responds very well to EQ-ing, if you're running it out of a neutral source.

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

No not at all, I am about sound quality + clean bass. Car audio is my first love, and I have a "SQL" subwoofer, which means it puts off an absurd amount of bass, but retains excellent sound quality and is not boomy or muddy at all. I don't need an insane amount of bass, but the MS1's have barely more bass than my old cheapo head phones. But at this point I don't think I can return them so I might be stuck with these.

then look for another head-fiers that want to trade RP-21 with your MS1...
wink.gif
check "Headphone for sale/trade" room/section of this forum...
biggrin.gif
goodluck !

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #33 of 35
I've contemplated selling my MS1 over some time but keep changing my mind once I listen to them again. For certain songs they just have a beautiful presentation. My everyday headphone is my HD25 but at home I like to listen to my MS1s a lot. The mid-range has a nice presentation of strings, male/female vocals, and the bass is sharp.

For an all around headphone I'd pick the HD25 over the MS1 but the MS1 still beats it in certain areas. Also depending on the hip-hop the MS1 can sound good for that genre too. Stuff that's more on the jazzy side sounds good like Tribe Called Quest or Jay-Dee.

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then look for another head-fiers that want to trade RP-21 with your MS1...
wink.gif
check "Headphone for sale/trade" room/section of this forum...
biggrin.gif
goodluck !

what would I be giving up if I switched to the RP-21? Also, if I just swapped the pads on the MS1, do you think that would add a dramatic amount of bass? If so, I might just do that, because everything seems fine except for the bass.

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

what would I be giving up if I switched to the RP-21? Also, if I just swapped the pads on the MS1, do you think that would add a dramatic amount of bass? If so, I might just do that, because everything seems fine except for the bass.

Check out Todd The Vinyl Junkie flat pads. They pronounce bass, but also kills some sparkle out of them. As I said, the bass quantity in Alessandros isnt very good. But bass QUALITY is very nice. On rap, it doesnt really matter since its mostly drums and midbass rumble, but on more "sophisticated music" where details and such matters, it is excellent. Bass quanity Is almost dead flat and in same volume level as mids and highs (minus slight peak in highs). If recording is bass light, (and a lot of recordings are actually, even music that is bass driven) they sound bass light and wont even try to artificially boost them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back