My audiophile dreams: vanished. Dead. Over for the next 2 years.
Jun 26, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #46 of 87
Wow! This is for real!

After my dad took me driving around, we sat down at tangent's website and read together. . .

I'll be making a parts list soon. Then we'll go through some of the stuff that I have that I've desoldered, and we'll see!
eek.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #47 of 87
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
I'd like to touch on the issue Audio&Me addressed -- "enslav[ing] the kid to your way only."

Nowadays it's a common liberal idea that parents should be careful not to instill too strong of a value system on their children because it may hinder their growths as independent human beings. The mother of my friend (also third cousin) said that she wanted her son to discover his values for himself.

What do we get when values aren't instilled in people by those that have more experience and, like it or not, wisdom? We have children who grow up with no real values except those formed by inexperienced minds not guided into the world. How can values be shaped? Only through action, not through words alone.

It's often tough to accept that one's parents have more experience and wisdom -- but it's no coincidence that the three largest religions in the world hold as one of their central precepts to "honor thy father and mother." It's also no coincidence that every modern totalitarian society has made a point to specifically target children -- the Hitler Youth of Nazi Germany and the Pioneers and Continental Union of Youths in the Soviet Union, for example.

In the end, like it or not, your parents have control of your actions, whether you like it or not. I've tried to justify that control, but justification or lack thereof will not have influence on the way life is. As soon as you accept reality you will begin enjoying it more -- but it seems you already do accept it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Excellent post DanG!

Jun 26, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #48 of 87
I think we should all be very careful when we criticize someone else's parenting skills. "My dad won't let me spend my own money on an amplifier," may seem injust to you but there are certainly a lot worse things that some people have to complain about with their parents. Clearly Andrze's parents think he is not yet capable of making his own decisions about finances and frankly, they may be right. They may not be, but my point is--who are we to say.

One thing I will tell you, Andrze, is that your dad earned bigtime points for me by offering his time and knowledge to you. You'd be a real fool to not take advantage of that. I've gone the commercial amp route myself, being a so-called adult and whatnot, and I'll tell ya--there's a lot to be said for DIYing. So much so that I myself am all but begging for help to get started myself. I'm more than a little bit envious that you've got someone willing and offering to help you get started right there in your own home.

If you really take the time to learn this stuff, you'll also find yourself better positioned to argue next time the subject of how to spend your money comes up. Imagine if instead of saying "I wanna buy this thing from this company because this random guy using an alias on the internet says it might be good", you could tell him specifically what makes it good--you'll be able to talk about the design and components they chose and why you think it's a good product.

Likely one of two things will happen here, either you'll get good enough with the amp building that you'll not want so strongly for the commercial stuff.... or you'll realize just how much work goes into it and be able to better articulate why the commercial stuff is worth the money.

Meanwhile, take this opportunity for you and your dad to get to know each other and work on something together. Later on I bet you'll appreciate that experience more than even the freedom to spend your money as you please.

Jun 26, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #49 of 87
I am 36 with 2 kids. I would have to agree with your dad. I think it is great that he will help you build your own amp. You will have a great amp that will be better than a lot of the low buck amps out there. Maybe you two can upgrade your CD player as well. I used to do that in the 80's with Magnavox players.

The other thing is this, a great amp in your price range today will be significantly bettered in a few years. This is the known as the dreaded upgrade crisis.

Keep working hard, and save your money for really important things. College is expensive, but the real world is even more expensive. Rent, furnishings and things like that will eat up your money so fast you will not believe it.

Take the money you earned and save part of it, buy some music, buy some theater or symphony tickets for you and your dad. Live music will really educate your ears as to what instruments really sound like.

As far as golf clubs go, $400 for a set of irons is not much. Most pro-line iron sets for $650+. A putter is easily $150+, drivers $350+. This is a thing that continues every generation. Your parents won't look so dumb to you when you have your own kids.

The only thing in life that is precious and scarce is time.

Cut your dad some slack. Don't listen to or take advice from some of those here who tell you to buy stuff and hide it from your parents. They will know what you did, and even worse you will remember it far longer than you will enjoy your amp.

A little story for you:

My father had kids early in life. He sacrificed a lot of personal fun for us, to help save money to send us to college. He never complained. My dad was diagnosed with MS 8 years ago. We both love music and golf. He could still enjoy music. We never played golf together after 1992. My dad passed away this weekend. I sure am glad I never pissed away time with him over petty/stupid things like how to spend money, etc. I sure wish he was around so I could talk to him or get advice from him.

Life is an adventure and you are just beginning it. I went from being 16 to 36 in a flash.

Jun 26, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #50 of 87
I'm 28 going on 15 and getting younger every day
wink.gif

I still live with my parents because I choose to. I have verything I want here and it's cheap and I can come and go as I please with reason and as long as I respect them and the house then I have a home for life (their words). My Dad is more like a brother to me than a dad as such and we do everything together (computers, hifi, the ship). Life is good. So get to know your dad and spend a little time with him, it's much better than having a headphone amp.

Although I get on really swell with my folks, I still have the same issues as you. My local emporium called today to say that the Sugden Headmaster that I ordered had came in and was ready for collection. My mum took the call. When I got home from work I got the 20 questions and I admitted that I had spend £350 on it (it was actually £600, but my folks don't need to know that). I neglected to mention that the HD600s were £170 and the Red Dawns that go with it were also £180.

So even though I work damned hard for my money, and i'm 12 years older than you i stell get the same hassle. But hey, that's what parents are for.

I'd say you should get your father involved in building that META42. You'll get to spend some QUALITY time with him and you just can't put a price on that..... ever! And hey he might get so interested himself that he may consider dropping some dollars on some equipment for you both to share.

I did that with my father a few years ago when I was into Ham Radio and he got his license 2 years after me. Ever since then i've had a second pair of hands for any projects that I work on and have never had any problems with putting up any antennas or masts.... no matter how big. Method in my madness? Moi? Hehehehe.

Sound As Ever

Jun 26, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #51 of 87
andrzejpw : Do you find it all ironic that this thread, with its dramatic title, is your place to show your excitement that you and your dad's META42 is for REAL!?

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #52 of 87
lol, true coolvij.

The $400 was for a used set from a golfing instructor he knows. Almost new. The instructor got em as a discount. Their orig. price was near $700, so he got a good deal.

wink.gif

Anyway, we'll be starting the project soon!

Jun 27, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #53 of 87
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
lol, true coolvij.

The $400 was for a used set from a golfing instructor he knows. Almost new. The instructor got em as a discount. Their orig. price was near $700, so he got a good deal.

wink.gif

Anyway, we'll be starting the project soon!

You should mow cahnge your avatar to Team Meta-Heiser.

Do you have the 580s or is this just a wish?

Jun 27, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #54 of 87
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
You guys have really given me a lot to think about. I'll talk to him about the META42 tonight. We might start choosing components, etc. But what I don't understand is that I've grown an appreciation for other hobbies. My dad's is obviously golf. I'm sure he's spent more money on balls, tee-times, clubs, etc than I've spent on audio. Then there's my mom. You only have to look at MY closet to see what she likes. Clothes, jewlery, etc. I mean she doesn't spend a lot of money at once on it. Maybe $15, 20, but it all adds up!

Now if my dad backs out of this. . .

Not to be critical or anything, or sound mean, your Dad works his ass off for stuff, then he has to give it to other people. Support other people. He can't use all his money for taking care of himself then buying toys for himself. He spends his cash on you and your family. He NEEDS relief, time off, a hobby of his own. He NEEDS to have fun and relieve stress. Best thing to do is hope he co operates in what he does allow and enjoy life. Your time without responsibilities is short. Enjoy it. Soon you will have to work YOUR ass off to get ready to support yourself.
Have fun NOW.

Jun 27, 2002 at 12:56 PM Post #55 of 87
If you could have shut up about it until AFTER you'd bought the damn things at least you could have saved the homebrewed flame war until AFTER you got your goods...
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 27, 2002 at 1:24 PM Post #56 of 87
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer

You should mow cahnge your avatar to Team Meta-Heiser.

Do you have the 580s or is this just a wish?

no, no. I have the 580s. The Little was on loan from headroom. I just sorta thought that I'd get the premium little. . .
rolleyes.gif

Jun 27, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #59 of 87
Wow, I don't normally read the Members' Lounge forum but I just had to reply to this one...

Andrez's dad is wrong and foolish. (Though I do think the offer to help build an amp is very positive.) His attitude doesn't teach anything positive at all, and instead conveys a lot of negative messages:

1) Hard work is not rewarded. If you want something, don't bother working hard to get it, because you won't be able to have it anyway. The kid worked his butt off for days to save up the money! I admire that. (Andrez, don't be discouraged; in this country, hard work pays off the way it should, much more often than not.)

2) Don't bother thinking logically. Headphone amps are overpriced because I say so, even though the parts cost for a DIY amp equivalent to the Little Premium is about $200, putting Headroom's profit margin well below the margins enjoyed by the kind of consumer electronics manufacturers that make stuff for Best Buy.

3) Do as I say, not as I do. Sure, I blow money on golf clubs, but I have a right to.

4) Time is worth nothing. People have been going on and on about how important money is when you grow up. Reality is, if you're working anything beyond blue collar, your time is more precious than relatively small amounts of cash. As an adult, it's not a rational way to allocate resources to spend three days building something, when you can just go out and buy it.

Andrez, your father is being a fool on this issue. Learn to trust your mind and logic. They'll get you much farther in life than always bowing to what people tell you to do, just because they're supposed to be more knowledgeable than you.

When you're an adult, you'll realize that your parents are merely human -- they're right on some issues, dead wrong on others, and they don't have any special insight or wisdom imparted by god. They're just doing their best, and they have their own neuroses and pasts to deal with, and these cloud the way they think and respond to things (and some are just intrinsically a**holes).

Jun 27, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #60 of 87
Well, I just got my check today for some work over the last 2 weeks.

$330. That brings my balance to $1105. I can't do anything with it, but boy! Doesn't that look pretty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back