My audiophile dreams: vanished. Dead. Over for the next 2 years.
Jun 25, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #16 of 87
And if he dies before he gets to enjoy some musical piece that makes him feel something extraordinary?

Get outta here. Theres more to life than "success." It's too short to constantly worry about everything all at once. He should be able to buy the amp and enjoy the damn thing if he can fund it without starving to death or living on the streets.

Jun 25, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #17 of 87
Quote:

Originally posted by sTaTIx
I know how you feel, andrzejpw. You have a hobby that you're really into and you really like, right? You feel like your whole life and your enjoyment of life is based almost solely around that hobby right? You can't live without having hi-fi equipment, right? And your parents, stereotypically are "unsympathetic" and "cruelly insensitive," right? I understand what you're feeling, right now. And guess what? They're RIGHT.

You're 16 years old. You have two years of high-school left and you need to focus all your energy on that. After that, you'll have several more years of college, and you'll have to focus on THAT, even if you won't be under your parents' wing anymore. It IS obscene to spend 4-5 hundred dollars on a headphone amp. They ARE overpriced and they ARE preying on our money. This is all truth, not fecal matter sputtering out of your parents (except what your mom said about being able to live on stuff from Best Buy.)

I've been down your road before when I was a teen, and I used to feel like I needed a lot of things. Hey, guess what? I couldn't live without toys, so I NEEDED one of those Transformers action figures! I couldn't live without videogames, so I NEEDED that Super Nintendo! I couldn't live without guitars, so I NEEDED this Fender! My parents busted my balls on all of these things that I truly felt like I NEEDED, but in hindsight, I realize how much I didn't need them. Part of growing up and maturing is about learning that there's WAY more to life than material posessions. You have your priorities screwed up right now, as do many adolescents. It doesn't seem like I or your parents is right, right now, but maybe in the future, you'll realize the truth in what they're saying.

You're absolutely right. Theres more to life than material posessions. Theres more to life than the money you make and the success you have, too. Theres more to life and to short of life and especially childhood, than to have to deal with half-wit narrowminded supressive parents, also.

If people stopped trying so hard to "prepare" their kids as if the life they have hasn't already begun, or isnt important enough, maybe they'd have a better idea of what lifes about at a younger age, as apposed to having to wait for those boundaries to disappear so they can figure it out on their own years later.

Somehow parents think all of these witty unexplained gestures help shape their children into better people.. Really it just confuses the hell out of them and forces them into taking longer periods of time figuring out what life is all about.

Jun 25, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #18 of 87
I think your dad is a turd for holding your money hostage. What good is money if you don't spend it on stuff you may enjoy? Save a few bucks, blah blah blah, I don't suggest you become a spendthrift like myself, but your dad has no business interfering with you getting yourself something that you really want. An audio amp is not a life threatening drug, nor is it illegal.

Jun 25, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #19 of 87
Quote:

Originally posted by Xander
And if he dies before he gets to enjoy some musical piece that makes him feel something extraordinary?

So, basically what you're saying is that without good music, one's life is incomplete? He'll die unfulfilled? That means that everyone who isn't an audiophile is living their lives in vain? Please. Despite how much I disagree with the above comment, I'll ask you this: a Sennheiser HD580 with a CMOY amp isn't good enough to enjoy the "fantastic, extraordinary piece of music" you're talking about?

Quote:

Get outta here. Theres more to life than "success."

Then how about knowledge or education? Your idea of the word "success" is wrong in the first place. Success is job, career, and financial stability. Success is living a life comfortably and productively. When you say that there's more to life than success, what you're saying is that life on the streets as some homeless guy is a fine prospect.

Quote:

It's too short to constantly worry about everything all at once. He should be able to buy the amp and enjoy the damn thing if he can fund it without starving to death or living on the streets.

Ok, sure, he may be able to spend several hundred dollars on stereo equipment right now, when he's leeching off of his gaddam parents. But what if, when he moves out, he'll constantly be swallowing his pride, and calling up his parents and begging them for cash because he's dead broke? If his parents were encouraging him to spend several hundred dollars on a sudden fancy, they wouldn't be teaching them an f'ing THING about how the real life works!

Jun 25, 2002 at 6:10 AM Post #20 of 87
Quote:

Originally posted by Xander

You're absolutely right. Theres more to life than material posessions. Theres more to life than the money you make and the success you have, too. Theres more to life and to short of life and especially childhood, than to have to deal with half-wit narrowminded supressive parents, also.

If they're narrowminded, supressive, and half-witted, then they are unwittingly doing the correct thing. A 16 year old teenager shouldn't be spending a half grand on stereo equipment. Nevermind if the parents are being ignorant, at least in this case they're doing the right thing.

Jun 25, 2002 at 6:14 AM Post #21 of 87
Try to understand your dad--his life and situation today, in his youth, and as a young man. Right or wrong, there are reasons for his decisions, and it will help you if you can try to understand those reasons. I think it's admirable that he'll help you build a Meta-42.

Jun 25, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #22 of 87
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
What good is money if you don't spend it on stuff you may enjoy?

My philosophy has been to spend money on things you enjoy when you're retired, ocassionally spend money on things you enjoy when you're financially stable, and save or invest money for future enjoyment when you're young.

Jun 25, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #23 of 87
Absolute bummer about your parents crimping your audio choice.
But, THAT'S LIFE. I am not being nasty. It is a decision you will just have to live with. Be happy with you 580's. Be happy with whatever amp you will end up with. Hey YOUR SIXTEEN! You have 70 years to buy a darn amp!!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Another reason to get used to doing without.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Someday you will probably marry. Think folks cramp your style!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you want it BAD. But you will get over it.

Check out your local libraries for CD collections. Start listening to other types of music, including classical. If your folks find out you are enjoying CLASSICAL music, that might impress them.....points for you toward the amp you really want.

Be cool.

Jun 25, 2002 at 9:59 AM Post #24 of 87
My thoughts have always been to never, ever put yourself in dangerous or volatile situations for the sake of audio. It's not worth giving up the more important things in life for the sake of audio. It's also not worth driving yourself bankrupt for the sake of audio (not that you are, but it applies here as a message to others). I've already ran into a couple of Headfiers who actually thought about taking loans out for the sake of this hobby, and that is what I call dangerous. This hobby can become a dangerously addicting hobby if one isn't careful.

Just watch yourself, and don't put relationships with your parents over audio, and never put audio over your bank account.

Jun 25, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #25 of 87
andrzejpwe,

While I think this discussion has been taken to levels well beyond what your conversation with your father actually meant (but making for an interesting thread nonetheless), I think what you experienced was something much simpler. Your father simply doesn't believe that an expensive headphone amp can possibly be worth it. Hell, I don't blame him. In many ways, the thought of spending say $400 on a headphone amplifier is absurd. I certainly would have thought so six months ago.
smily_headphones1.gif
To a non-golfer such as myself, spending that money on clubs would be ludicrious. But I do know enough about golf to realize that he could have spent a lot more. Further, I respect what people choose to invest in for their hobbies. He may be questioning your judgment as a 16 year old, but that's to be expected. As you said, only 2 more years to go. You might wonder, though, if you had wanted to spend $400 on a hobby that he emjoyed (golf), if he would have reacted the same way.

Jun 25, 2002 at 4:39 PM Post #26 of 87
I still think building that Meta42 is the best thing you can do... here's why:

#1, You'll get to spend some bonding time with your dad doing something that's inheriently testosterone driven. It may not sound like a great thing now but...

#2, You will both come to understand each other. You will understand why he thinks it's insane to spend money on audio and he may just come around and understand the enjoyment you get out of it.

#3, If he likes what he hears you may just drag him into this hobby with you! And with that a life-long close relationship might just deveop all because he said 'no' to spending a few hundred on an amp.

#4, You will likly end up with an amp you will be MUCH happier with in the end! It will be built to *your* specs for *your* equipment with *your* hands. You can't say that about an Orpheus even!! This amp will inheriently be *yours* and is a product of creation through both your's and your fathers hands and minds. There is no amount of money you can put on that.

#5, Both you and your dad will learn something from this venture. Even if it's just each-others limits.

At your age, lets face it, you have more time than money. This really is the best option for you. I'm also sure that's what your father sees as well though he may not have phrased it in a way you really wanted to hear.

After going through this experience you may find he is more open to you spending some cash on a pre-built amp. But, if you do it right, you probably won't have that craving for a while. Instead you may be trying to talk him into letting you buy a $8000 Wadia 861 (try doing *that* yourself!).

Jun 25, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #27 of 87
i'd tell them that you decided you don't like headphones anymore and you're going to start drinking and doing drugs with the money instead.

i totally understand you though, my mom wouldn't ever let me go to any concerts even when i was seventeen. she told me the story about how her first one was when she was eighteen and then she didn't go to another concert until she was twenty-one and blah blah blah. nevermind the fact that i was paying/driving there myself. "you've already been to TWO concerts this year!"
gimme a ****ing break.

however, i really wish i could build a meta42 with my dad, even now. i actually think that's an even better idea than buying a little. it's gotta sound better than this mg head crap too..

Jun 25, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #28 of 87
I too think that building an amp with your Dad will be a rewarding experience. Get him involved with the selection of parts and make it a joint project. You will remember the time together far longer than you will remember the purchase of an amp. When he is able to hear the result you may also find that he becomes more interested in the hobby. Part of what they are doing is trying to make sure you are really interested and that it is not just a fleeting fancy.

Most of all accept there decision and work with them to achieve a reasonable compromise such as the DIY amp. If you complain and push back they will just push harder and you both end up loosing.

Jun 25, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #29 of 87
You guys have really given me a lot to think about. I'll talk to him about the META42 tonight. We might start choosing components, etc. But what I don't understand is that I've grown an appreciation for other hobbies. My dad's is obviously golf. I'm sure he's spent more money on balls, tee-times, clubs, etc than I've spent on audio. Then there's my mom. You only have to look at MY closet to see what she likes. Clothes, jewlery, etc. I mean she doesn't spend a lot of money at once on it. Maybe $15, 20, but it all adds up!

Now if my dad backs out of this. . .

Jun 25, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #30 of 87
While it may seem like a good argument to compare the cost of your parents expenditures to yours it is a loosing battle. In a parents mind what they choose to do with their money and what their children choose to do are totally separate and no rational discussion is going to change it.

At best they may say you are right but your not buying the amp anyway. At the other end you may anger them and only make what is now a workable situation worse.

Another idea for involving your Dad is to ask his opinion on things related to the DIY project, get him involved intellectually not just as an extra pair of hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back