My Audez'e LCD-2 pickup @ DXC Store in Culver City, CA!
Jan 30, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #16 of 56
That glossy box looks better than the previous one, at least in this picture
beerchug.gif

What size is it? (inside)
If you just put your LCD-2 inside, as for storage, how does that look?
(Can you store the LCD-2 in there with the cables still attached?)

Quote:

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #17 of 56
Quote:
beerchug.gif

(Can you store the LCD-2 in there with the cables still 

The glossy box is definitely appealing! But it's so nice looking I've already found myself being overly protective of it!

If I had to make a guess on the size, by eyeing it, I would say it's: 13 x 10 x 6(Tall)

And yes, the LCD-2's fit with the cable attached. I think this is the reason for the change in the placement orientation. I know it used to be the wide way, versus the current, tall way. The one thing that kinda bums me out on it, is that with the headphones inside, and the top closed, the pads get slightly pushed on. If they've been in there for a while, when I open the box, you can see the leather pads squished a bit, where the top of the box presses on it...

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #18 of 56
Hey guys... Just got done listening to a new album, Kaputt, by Destroyer, on the LCD-2's. It was definitely a listening pleasure. All the tracks were recorded well, and there is a great amount of dynamics throughout the whole album. Vocals and instruments sounded very well represented. 

The album, besides dynamics, is pretty darn good too! This was the first, of any Destroyer album, I've gotten a chance to listen to, and it will definitely be listened through in its' entirety again sometime soon.

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #19 of 56
Top foam is a tad too thick then?

Could you post a picture of your LCD-2 resting in it's box?

Quote:
Quote:
beerchug.gif

The glossy box is definitely appealing! But it's so nice looking I've already found myself being overly protective of it!

If I had to make a guess on the size, by eyeing it, I would say it's: 13 x 10 x 6(Tall)

And yes, the LCD-2's fit with the cable attached. I think this is the reason for the change in the placement orientation. I know it used to be the wide way, versus the current, tall way. The one thing that kinda bums me out on it, is that with the headphones inside, and the top closed, the pads get slightly pushed on. If they've been in there for a while, when I open the box, you can see the leather pads squished a bit, where the top of the box presses on it...

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #20 of 56
Quote:
Top foam is a tad too thick then?

Could you post a picture of your LCD-2 resting in it's box?

Quote:
Quote:
beerchug.gif

I guess so man... but I tried messing with it and there's not much thinner the foam could get without properly protecting the headphones.

I'll definitely take pics, they won't be up until tomorrow though, I'm already sitting in bed. But, will do. I'll try to capture a pic of the pads being flattened after sitting in the case for a while too.

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #21 of 56
Ok Here are some pics:

It's really hard to see the creasing, so I took another photo to show how much the headphones stick out, over the top. AND look at the pad of the box top, and you'll see the crease marks from the headphones:

And lastly, here's how the headphones fit, with the cable still inserted:

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #22 of 56
Then there has to be "too much" (I assume it's all perfectly safe and good since you received it like this) paddning under the cups, unless the new box is lower than the old one.

I posted a photo of how re-arranged my (old) box, some time back, but I lost track of it so I took a new shot:

There is NO pressure on the cable exit points, and NO pressure on top of the headphone when I close the lid.
(the Norse Audio cable kind of covers a bit of the phone making the arrangement somewhat hidden, sorry about that....)
This photo also shows how much nicer your box looks on the inside. That's also a nice change for the better
beerchug.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #23 of 56
Are you folks really putting your LCD-2 inside that smelly box? I almost puke when opening the lid. Mine glossy box has that terrible odor one usually get with cheep Chinese woodwork. That's the way it looks to with lots of wood knots and uneven distributed lacquer. And what are that ugly gray foam doing in the lid? Why isn't it covered with silk like the bottom?
Luckily the HP came in a sealed plastic bag so they wasn't contaged by the odor. I ruined a great guitar I once had by storing it in a case that had a bad smell so I'm a bit sensitive to this issue.

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #25 of 56
I'm probably one of the weird ones that enjoys the smell...

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #26 of 56
Quote:
Are you folks really putting your LCD-2 inside that smelly box? I almost puke when opening the lid. Mine glossy box has that terrible odor one usually get with cheep Chinese woodwork. That's the way it looks to with lots of wood knots and uneven distributed lacquer. And what are that ugly gray foam doing in the lid? Why isn't it covered with silk like the bottom?
Luckily the HP came in a sealed plastic bag so they wasn't contaged by the odor. I ruined a great guitar I once had by storing it in a case that had a bad smell so I'm a bit sensitive to this issue.

I don't know if each box has its' own scent, but mine just smells like a leather jacket, or something along those lines.

If I'm correctly imagining what you mean by "cheap chinese woodwork", I can see why that would be a problem. But I've got no issues with the smell of leather...

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #27 of 56

Quote:
Quote:

I don't know if each box has its' own scent, but mine just smells like a leather jacket, or something along those lines.

If I'm correctly imagining what you mean by "cheap chinese woodwork", I can see why that would be a problem. But I've got no issues with the smell of leather...

Needer do I. hmmm, where the leather smell should come from are a mystery to me. At least my leather pads did not smell and they where packed in sealed plastic. The bad smell in my box is from glue or lacquer (solvent).

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #28 of 56
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Needer do I. hmmm, where the leather smell should come from are a mystery to me. At least my leather pads did not smell and they where packed in sealed plastic. The bad smell in my box is from glue or lacquer (solvent).

Eww... Yeah, that would be a problem for me too. How have you ben storing your LCD-2's instead of the box?

I initially wanted to get a headphone stand, but I don't know if I like the idea of them being out all the time.

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #29 of 56

Quote:
Eww... Yeah, that would be a problem for me too. How have you ben storing your LCD-2's instead of the box?

I initially wanted to get a headphone stand, but I don't know if I like the idea of them being out all the time.

I only had mine for a week before they where packed in a box for return. Time passes slowly when audez'e take they're time doing me right. I feel like I'm in a state of limbo. There are no fun listening to music with the other crap I have.

As for having them out I only see a problem with the foam in the headband. That stuff often gets hard and sticky when it ages. In my experience unprotected foam age very fast when exposed to IR light and/or ozon gas. Keep them away from any gizmo that claims it clean the air from electrostatic dust participles. Some of them actually produce ozon gas.
In my mind I would like the foam to have a wrapping of the same nice leather as the pads for protection and looks. Then we could also wipe of sweat when necessary.

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #30 of 56

Quote:

I would follow my usual practice of putting all headphones in separate zipbloc begs. It gives the phones protection from everything (smoke; scratches ...) and the cable enough space to form a bigger loop. Once they are in the beg you can store them anywhere you want. I find boxes that come with most headphones too small and it is always a pain to coil and crunch the cables trying to get everything in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back