My A900s just cracked while on my head. (need possible replacement suggestions)
Nov 26, 2010 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SpacemanSpiff23

100+ Head-Fier
My A900s just made a popping sound while I was wearing, them and when I took them off to inspect them, one of the support arms for the right ear cup had a large crack running though it, and the cup was noticeably looser on that ear.  I super glued the crack, and I'm hoping that they will stay together, but it's not looking good.  It's at a high stress area.  I've only had then for 4 years.  Even though I wore them almost every day for that time, I only ever dropped them twice (a long time ago), and I've always been gentle when handling them.

Anyway, if I do need a replacement set, it's been a while since I've looked at headphones, so I thought I'd ask for suggestions.  I'd basically like to get something as close to the A900s ( I love them so much
frown.gif
)as possible, but I would also like to try something new.

-My budget is $250-$300
-Closed, full size, circumaural.
99.9% of the time they will be powered by the headphone jack on my computers sound card.  I'd like them to be reasonably easy to drive though. (less than 100 ohms?)
-Comfort over extended periods (6+ hours) is extremely important
-While bass is nice, I would say that accurate and crisp mids and highs are equally, if not slightly more important.  However, I don't want them to be lacking in bass.

I was looking at the following headphones.

Ultrasone (HFI780 or PRO 650), but I've heard a lot of people say they are not comfortable over long periods of use.
Beyerdynamic DT770.  I know they have awesome bass, but I never really hear anything else about them.
Denon D2000 I don't know anything about these except they are good.
AKG K271  Ive only heard positive things about these.

Does one of these fit by criteria better than the others?  is there another option I should look into?  pleas let me know.

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 10
The same thing happened to my A900's a while back...if you really like them, why don't you just send them in to Audio Technica USA to get repaired? (thats what I did)

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 10
fellow a900 lover here :)
you would probably like a denon d2000- tho i'd say it needs a small amp. also u would like a dt770 NON-pro 250 ohm. again, needs a small amp (the pro version is a bass monster but has weird sibilant highs to me)
hfi780-not comfy
k271-needs a strong amp, little bass-really a atudio mixing headphone, not a fun headphone

consider the jvc harx700 and 900 as well. the 900 is a bass monster, nice stage for a closed can

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 10
I used to own the A900 and used it from a sound card. You love the A900 so much. You're plugging into a sound card and want headphones from $250 to $300 that are close to the A900. That narrows your choices all the way down to exactly one - another A900. Get your old one repaired, or buy another.

Quote:
I'd basically like to get something as close to the A900s ( I love them so much
frown.gif
)as possible, but I would also like to try something new.

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 10
What exactly is involved in getting these repaired?  I bought them from audiocubes.com in '07.  Are they still under any sort of warranty?  Would I have to send them back to Japan?

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 10
How much did it cost for the repair?  The form says its $30 just for an estimate.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 10
My repairs included a broken left wing and wing support, replacement pads, and repair of the left cup (I couldn't hear anything out of this side).

It was 51$ + 10$ shipping.

better then spending 250$ on a new pair imo.

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #10 of 10
That doesn't sound bad at all.  I wonder if I could tell them to replace the pads with the better pleather pads.  probably not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back