Musiland Monitor 02 US
Nov 1, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #121 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by HotHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coolfungadget, I bought this from you off eBay. Mine does not turn off like its suppose to when I power off my computer. I also had a computer crash yesterday where the drive just decided to take a crap. Not sure what caused the crash and driver issue. But the light staying on when the computer is off is very annoying and according to you, is not how its suppose to work. Others have chimed in saying theirs turns off when computer is off. So it sounds like I may have a defective one. What should I do?

Have you checked the BIOS setting to turn the USB ports off when PC is off?

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #122 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by witness /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats your opinions about amp function for this magic sound card
smily_headphones1.gif

*i've just bought it from hifikanon (it's on the way) and i will with little dot mkiii to drive my rs1.
*but some users say mkiii is not a good choice for akg k702. so do you think musiland 02 us can drive properly k702? is there any user who tried k702 with musiland 02?
thanks,

Hi witness,

I also have k702 and was wondering if the headphone amp of it will be good with k702. When you get yours, would you please let us know how the headphone amps fair? I'd very appreciate it. Thanks!

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #124 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonsurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi witness,

I also have k702 and was wondering if the headphone amp of it will be good with k702. When you get yours, would you please let us know how the headphone amps fair? I'd very appreciate it. Thanks!

I've got a pair of K701s and i'll try to remember to post a quick summary on how it sounds when mine arrives. I'm not expecting much from the amp, i'm really buying for the DAC.

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #125 of 1,340
Quote:

[...] Why doesn't my Monitor 02 US detect when the computer is turned off? It detects when the USB cable is unplugged and turns itself off then, but it does not power off when my PC is shut down. [...]

Did you read Ninkul's post?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some mobos [motherboards] leave power running to the usb ports even while off. Take a look at your bios settings i suppose?

It's not Musiland's fault that the Monitor 02 US doesn't detect that your PC is turned off. Your device isn't 'defect' or faulty in any way...

best regards,
bearmann

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #126 of 1,340
I find the musiland 02 is better suited with higher sensitivity headphones like my Audio Technica ATH1000's, the headphone amp in the musiland will drive lower sensitive headphones like the 701's or my other headphones Beyer DT880 250ohm model, but I find the audio technicas give a better sound and have more volume adjustment available, with the lower sensitive beyer's on some flac recordings maximum volume on the musiland control panel could still do with a bit volume, this may be a personal taste and will depend also the recorded level of the albums. I think for the best sound it is best to use the musiland to supply the digital signal into a dac followed by a proper headphone amp.

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #127 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonsurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi witness,

sure i will
regular_smile .gif

but i haven't buy k702 yet. actually i couldn't make a choice between k702 and hd600. but synergy of rs1 also will be interesting because rs1 is one of the most sensitive headphone i've ever head. i will share my impressions with rs1 and k702 or hd600 later.

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #128 of 1,340
i am very intersted in this dac as it fits my price range exactly.

my major reason to get a dac is my extremely noisy pc. i can hear my hdd and other stuff when listenning to music.

some say noise will be removed when using a dac. some say when your system is noisy it will be noisy even with a dac.

i will connect the dac to my "z-audio lamdba" amp.

is this the right amp for me?

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #129 of 1,340
As the Monitor 02 US isn't USB powered there shouldn't be any problems with interferences from your pc (aka "noisy" audio signal).

best regards,
bearmann

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #130 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the Monitor 02 US isn't USB powered there shouldn't be any problems with interferences from your pc (aka "noisy" audio signal).

best regards,
bearmann

thanks for your reply.

does that mean all usb powered dacs will be noisy in some degree and all external powered dacs are more silent?

so the "powering" makes a dac noisy?

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #131 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not Musiland's fault that the Monitor 02 US doesn't detect that your PC is turned off. Your device isn't 'defect' or faulty in any way...

best regards,
bearmann

Yes, I see that now. I have also seen where others with the same motherboard noticed the USB ports are always powered on even when the PC is off. I checked my BIOS and did not see any setting that would remedy the problem. I fear that the life of my Monitor 02 US will be shortened by leaving it powered on 24/7.

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #132 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipumuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for your reply.

does that mean all usb powered dacs will be noisy in some degree and all external powered dacs are more silent?

so the "powering" makes a dac noisy?

Even USB powered DACs can be dead silent, but it's very difficult to achieve that (through the design of your DAC). Because of that fact you shouldn't worry about interferences from your PC while using a DAC with a dedicated power supply.

Quote:

Yes, I see that now. I have also seen where others with the same motherboard noticed the USB ports are always powered on even when the PC is off. I checked my BIOS and did not see any setting that would remedy the problem. I fear that the life of my Monitor 02 US will be shortened by leaving it powered on 24/7.

No need to worry...

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #133 of 1,340
Quote:

Bad grounding can also cause noise in USB ports. I had my laptop's transformer replaced and the noise went away from my DAC.

Edit: (@HotHead) Oops. I hit the wrong "quote" button on the post. Was meant to quote the post by ipmuk.

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #134 of 1,340
Quote:

Bad grounding can also cause noise in USB ports. I had my laptop's transformer replaced and the noise went away from my DAC.

What does that have to do with me leaving my Monitor 02 US on 24/7?

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #135 of 1,340
Quote:

I've got a pair of K701s and i'll try to remember to post a quick summary on how it sounds when mine arrives. I'm not expecting much from the amp, i'm really buying for the DAC.

Thank you, Ninkul! I will look forward for your impression!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back