Musiland MD-10
Dec 3, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #226 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautikal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it compare to the Beresford MK6?

I would also like to know this.

Feb 2, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #228 of 269
Just to let you guys know, the Musiland MD-10's usb input is inferior to its other inputs. I had used mine exclusively through USB and when I switched over to BNC (from my X-Fi using a custom cable) I noticed an immediate improvement in clarity. I'm not saying USB input is always inferior, but with this DAC IMO it definitely is.

EDIT: Wow alot of you guys use this DAC via USB! Definitely compare it to the other inputs.

May 27, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #230 of 269
Just yesterday ordered one from Pacific Valve.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #233 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrycan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read in this thread the md10 take a long time to burn in.
Can anyone tell me how long is recommendable?

I'd like to know too.

Got mine yesterday and left it playing for the past 14 hours via optical out on my Sony CD player; just took my first tentative comparison listen against my standard X-fi Elite Pro and the difference is already quite noticeable.

Huge difference in soundstage.

Musiland is GIANT compared to the Elite Pro.

Instruments have a noticeably 3 dimensional trait with the Musiland.

The "playing field", if you will, if you imagine it as a dome extending out and around your head, is way way bigger with the Musiland. Instruments have great seperation and again, the spatial characteristics are creepy good.

The Elite Pro, very much sounds 'inside my head' compared to the Musiland.

The bass is also way deeper, tighter and up front than is the X-fi Elite Pros.

I've only demo'd it with several tracks so far and am not going to write up a lenghty log/review until it's played for at least 100 hours.

BTW, the above comments were generated while listening via digital out from the X-fi to the RCA coaxial input on the Musiland.

I was doing A/B's between the X-fi digital out to Musilland vs. the X-fi's primary mini-jack line out to Musiland.

I'm also using my own head amp (XM4 with AD822 OPAMP).

Haven't spent much time with the Musiland's amp except for a quick listen that made me really appreciate how good my modded XM4 sounds
wink.gif
. Then again, maybe the Musiland headamp will sound better after a couple hundred hours.

All things considered ... I am very much enjoying what I'm hearing.

More comments later ...

May 31, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #234 of 269
Thanks for the reply. Mine is still processed by customs,
frown.gif

but hopefully it's deliverred soon.
I'll let it burn in for 100 hours to begin with and listen in between how it's evolving.
I like to read your experiences.

Jun 1, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #235 of 269
[size=small]Musiland ****:[/size]
-------------------------------------------

musiland_2_1.jpg

musiland_2_2.jpg

musiland_2_3.jpg

40 hours play time and some of the initial brightness/edginess is smoothing out.

This is a good thing.

Otherwise, incredibly musical and spatious sound.

Makes me want to throw my 300 dollar X-fi Elite Pro in the trash.

wink.gif

Jun 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #236 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Makes me want to throw my 300 dollar X-fi Elite Pro in the trash.

wink.gif

It's still good as a digital transport
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #238 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by triggerc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's still good as a digital transport
biggrin.gif

Yeah ... that's it's role now. Other than 5.1 for movies.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #239 of 269
I'm confused. If there is only a line-out why is there volume control? Isn't like the definition of a line-out that it is fixed volume?

edit: oops just noticed the little headphone jack in the back. But still, someone mentioned "changing the line out volume" this is confusing to me.

Jun 3, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #240 of 269
I borrowed an MD-10 for a while, while my buddy had my OMZ. The 10 has some nice bells and whistles, but it left me underwhelmed. It was by no means bad, but I did an A/B comparison with the DAC built in to my player (coax out to the MD, to my amp, and line out from CDP to input 2 - I adjusted the volume level on the DAC to closely match my line out), and honestly I could hear no difference. Well, not enough to justify buying one anyway. The highs were a tad clearer and more defined, but that was it. This was at all three resolutions on the MD-10. I did the same thing with the OMZ, and it was night and day. The OMZ was much more detailed, musical, weighty, and natural than either the Denon alone or the MD-10. All that aside, if you were looking for a good upgrade for an older CD/DVD player with lots of other cool features and did not want to purchase an amp, this would be a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back