Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Feb 25, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #845 of 1,484
Just to post my recent findings on the Musician Pegasus. I replaced the internal fuse with the Synergistic Research purple fuse today. And WoW! It's a mind-blowing upgrade!! The sound stage widens in all directions. I get smoother treble, more emotional vocals (Vocals backed off a bit & less in your face, it's more laid back which I prefer.) Way deeper bass. Blacker background and much more micro details. I might sound crazy to claim a single fuse would bring all those I mentioned to the table. I couldn't believe it when I do my research but saw their 30days return policy so I gave it a shot. I think this is the single most impactful HiFi investment I've ever made. It's expensive for a single fuse but let's think this way if a $200 fuse can improve your setup's SQ in a very significant way then it's not that expensive! I do own the Chord TT2 but always wanted to give the R2R DAC hype a try. The TT2 is still better but after changing the fuse the Pegasus is not that far away!

tempImagecN0Fkr.jpg
7220C5D6-DF5E-4494-B502-B966E1B32A5F.jpg

Feb 25, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #846 of 1,484
Just to post my recent findings on the Musician Pegasus. I replaced the internal fuse with the Synergistic Research purple fuse today. And WoW! It's a mind-blowing upgrade!! The sound stage widens in all directions. I get smoother treble, more emotional vocals (Vocals backed off a bit & less in your face, it's more laid back which I prefer.) Way deeper bass. Blacker background and much more micro details. I might sound crazy to claim a single fuse would bring all those I mentioned to the table. I couldn't believe it when I do my research but saw their 30days return policy so I gave it a shot. I think this is the single most impactful HiFi investment I've ever made. It's expensive for a single fuse but let's think this way if a $200 fuse can improve your setup's SQ in a very significant way then it's not that expensive! I do own the Chord TT2 but always wanted to give the R2R DAC hype a try. The TT2 is still better but after changing the fuse the Pegasus is not that far away!

Amazing what 2 cm wire does!:)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #847 of 1,484
I still have a little trouble believing in the miracle of fuses, one day I'll have to try to get to the bottom of it. On the other hand, your comparison with the Chord would tend to reinforce my doubts. I had both too, there is one where I listen to the sound (he does well technically, but it quickly ends up being tiresome) and the other with which I listen to the music, quite simply and with pleasure. For me, there is no comparison, and I much prefer the Musician. So the fuses, it may be another time :)

Cheers

Feb 26, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #848 of 1,484
I still have a little trouble believing in the miracle of fuses, one day I'll have to try to get to the bottom of it. On the other hand, your comparison with the Chord would tend to reinforce my doubts. I had both too, there is one where I listen to the sound (he does well technically, but it quickly ends up being tiresome) and the other with which I listen to the music, quite simply and with pleasure. For me, there is no comparison, and I much prefer the Musician. So the fuses, it may be another time :)

Cheers
Yes without the SR purple fuse they felt miles apart with the Pegasus more on the warm tone side and way closer soundstage I would say more in your face. On the other hand, the TT2 has a much larger sound stage with better imaging as well. (TT2 sounds more HiFi might be the word.) Synergistic Research claims it will take 200-300 hrs for the fuse to settle so I am still hoping I am able to get more out of it.

Some more interesting findings! I installed 3 x Iso Acoustics Orea damping feet to the Pegasus and the sound stage widens up further with improved imaging and clarity.

Feb 26, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #849 of 1,484
On the other hand, the TT2 has a much larger sound stage with better imaging as well. (TT2 sounds more HiFi might be the word.)
Well, There is only one criteria for the best DAC. The lowest fatigue factor over prolonged time. In the end you will listen to more music and your music library will grow.

Feb 26, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #850 of 1,484
Some more interesting findings! I installed 3 x Iso Acoustics Orea damping feet to the Pegasus and the sound stage widens up further with improved imaging and clarity.
I have a do-it-yourself soft rubber cube 5cm × 5cm × 3cm for each component, but I can't give an opinion on whether it affected the sound

Feb 26, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #851 of 1,484

tempImagecN0Fkr.jpg7220C5D6-DF5E-4494-B502-B966E1B32A5F.jpg
I can't even imagine how sweet the Pegasus will be. Sounds real crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back