Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #814 of 1,482
Oops, just bought myself a used Pegasus while browsing the second hand market for a Pontus! Obviously I was also interested in the Pegasus, but it's hard to find any real comparisons between the two. Well well, now I get to try this one anyway. Any tips on digital interface from the computer? Is the I2S much preferrable to the AES or coax inputs on the DAC?

Feb 4, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #815 of 1,482
Oops, just bought myself a used Pegasus while browsing the second hand market for a Pontus! Obviously I was also interested in the Pegasus, but it's hard to find any real comparisons between the two. Well well, now I get to try this one anyway. Any tips on digital interface from the computer? Is the I2S much preferrable to the AES or coax inputs on the DAC?
I would recommend quality USB

Feb 5, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #816 of 1,482
Oops, just bought myself a used Pegasus while browsing the second hand market for a Pontus! Is the I2S much preferrable to the AES or coax inputs on the DAC?
I recognize your screen name, the Pegasus you bought is mine. In my experience I2S has a cleaner sound, whereas AES and coax have different styles of haze over the sound. AES sounds harder, whereas I2S is smoother and cleaner. With HD 800 it was very clear that I2S was the more pure reproduction of the signal, but with speakers it wasn't as obvious. The Pegasus own USB input sounded too soft to me, whereas AES/coax had more slam and dynamics. These things might vary in your case depending on how polluted your source is. I most likely have all sorts of ground loop problems in my setup which the DDC helps mitigate.

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #817 of 1,482
I recognize your screen name, the Pegasus you bought is mine. In my experience I2S has a cleaner sound, whereas AES and coax have different styles of haze over the sound. AES sounds harder, whereas I2S is smoother and cleaner. With HD 800 it was very clear that I2S was the more pure reproduction of the signal, but with speakers it wasn't as obvious. The Pegasus own USB input sounded too soft to me, whereas AES/coax had more slam and dynamics. These things might vary in your case depending on how polluted your source is. I most likely have all sorts of ground loop problems in my setup which the DDC helps mitigate.
In theory, could the AES reference cable be competitive with I2S

with headphones

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #818 of 1,482
In theory, could the AES reference cable be competitive with I2S
I have no doubt about that! On my old Asus Essence III all the inputs (USB, Coax, Toslink, AES) sounded identical, whereas on the Pegasus they all sounded different. That was using the same speakers, headphones, amplifiers, sources and cables on both dacs. I assume it's all down to how the Pegasus handles the inputs, how the incoming signal is handled with regards to isolation, buffering, reclocking, PLL etc. For cost reasons they probably left some potential on the table and left it to the user to get the most out of the dac with a separate DDC, compared to say the Aquarius where the input processing seems more advanced.

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #819 of 1,482
I have no doubt about that! On my old Asus Essence III all the inputs (USB, Coax, Toslink, AES) sounded identical, whereas on the Pegasus they all sounded different. That was using the same speakers, headphones, amplifiers, sources and cables on both dacs. I assume it's all down to how the Pegasus handles the inputs, how the incoming signal is handled with regards to isolation, buffering, reclocking, PLL etc. For cost reasons they probably left some potential on the table and left it to the user to get the most out of the dac with a separate DDC, compared to say the Aquarius where the input processing seems more advanced.
Yes a lot depends on the system.
AES cheap but good (Supra) from Gustard U18 to Pegasus makes the sound clean, deep, thick and more detailed than it was without U18. I'm not sorry that I2S on Pegasus is not working. I'm happy with all upgrade in the right direction:o2smile:

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #820 of 1,482
Wrong thread

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #823 of 1,482
Today I was at the home of the North American distributor for Rockna , he gave me a i2s cable that’s still in development to take home and try though I really wasn’t interested in another cable to try , I hate it .
My good Lord , overall musicality I’m hearing with the Aquarius in the mix is eye opening. I can tell you there’s another level of performance in the Aquarius then some will realize . I would say an across the board improvement from top to bottom however the output quality of the i2s board in the server is of high level , switching i2s cables it‘s pretty much apparent.

Im finally sending the Aquarius off to its new owner , it is a very good dac for the money no question.
Researching on I2S vs AES forums, opinions are divided.
Again, as in everything, everyone should evaluate personally.
I think the transmission quality of I2S cable can be surpassed by expensive AES cable

Feb 6, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #825 of 1,482
Why are you posting about the Aquarius in the Pegasus thread?
A mistake,..I wondered what happened,…hmm I misunderstood the topic of i2s ? ,…I use a Rockna WaveDream Net server based on the i2s outputs used in Rocknas product line by the guy who PS Audio and other manufacturers commissioned designing for their digtal components.
Im currently using a i2s cable commissioned a cable manufacturer design by the North American distributor of Rockna , he told me most i2s cable offerings are not very good.
Yes I now know just how much the digital cables I used held back my system.

Be it Holo Audio using top quality USB board or any other manufacturers using the best available input out puts in their top end products that prefer another choice of inputs outputs depends entirely what would sound best using said components.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back