Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Jan 25, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #796 of 1,480
So, I have gotten myself a Pegasus... quick question did you notice a difference (there shouldn't be) between USB and Coax (I don't have I2S handy.... until N8ii) ?

Jan 25, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #797 of 1,480
My mistake...I was thinking driver

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #799 of 1,480
Yeah my Aquarius occasionally plays distortion too. I just pause playback and pause and it comes good. I’ve only read of this happening with USB as the source so I suspect it’s the USB implementation. At least I hope that’s what it is as I plan to just use I2S from the U18.
I have what I think is the same distortion issue with the Musician Pegasus. If I pause and resume the distortion ceases. It only happens when using the USB input. Have you found a solution for this?

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #800 of 1,480
Ev

I am sure the engineer was talking about pure resistance, which means without capacitive or inductive components which are frequency dependent. There is no such term as pure impedance. Even with such correction he is not right, as excessive load of the ladder matters.

Topping A90 amp cannot work stable without low pass filter on the input, sorry. :)
His original Chinese is:
对于我们的DAC只要是纯阻抗输入的前级不要太在意阻抗匹配
只有变压器输入的前级匹配存在问题

阻抗should be translated into impedance. Anyway, not only me claimed A90 sounds no problem with Pegasus, that's strange to matching theory.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #801 of 1,480
So, I have gotten myself a Pegasus... quick question did you notice a difference (there shouldn't be) between USB and Coax (I don't have I2S handy.... until N8ii) ?

If you are after a smoother sound, coax could be better. I find the USB more detailed, but I also use USB filters and a Lumin streamer so it's supposedly "clean".

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #802 of 1,480
I think it should be USB, but it depends on the quality of both. It's best try both and see what you like .
When I replaced the WireWorld ultraviolet USB with a new Inakustik USB Reference, he gave me a complete opening of the sound scene, lots of new details and cleaner sound on a black background. Although it's not an expensive USB cable (considering how expensive they can be),i think any other cable wouldn*t bring me more.

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #803 of 1,480
I think it should be USB, but it depends on the quality of both. It's best try both and see what you like .
When I replaced the WireWorld ultraviolet USB with a new Inakustik USB Reference, he gave me a complete opening of the sound scene, lots of new details and cleaner sound on a black background. Although it's not an expensive USB cable (considering how expensive they can be),i think any other cable wouldn*t bring me more.
Well I have tried and found Coaxial to be more analogue sounding and more organic, doesn't make sense to me that both being digital connexion they sound quite different (does the Pegasus have different spec for each input I wonder...), USB is cleaner and sharper but depending on which IEM / Headphone this might not be what I want. I have the Audioquest cable, not insane expensive but no cheapo either.

1643232637777.png

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #804 of 1,480
I didn't hesitate. I just ordered one.

At a minimum I can use it with my Odroid C2 running Volumio

Airplay > Odroid (Volumio) > USB output to the Douk > I2S > Pegasus

It looks like it has a pretty small form factor, so I can probably mount it on the underside of a table out of sight.

When my Pie2AES arrives I can compare.
Did you need to change the I2S pin configuration setting on the Pegasus to get it to work with the Douk ? Or did it work out of the box?

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #806 of 1,480
I changed to a Gustard U18 and use I2S maze that too my Aquarius. Problem solved along with a very nice boost in overall sound quality. :)
Gustard U18 should be at my door soon. I hope I will be able to use I2s, I have Pegas from the first series, if not, then AES-EBU.
I expect that through my HD 540 RG a new experience and a new level of enjoyment will emerge for me

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #807 of 1,480
I didn't get that error. Once I resolved the libusb0.dll missing error, the process worked for me. When you put the Pegasus into firmware flashing mode, ie with the USB light flashing, did Windows discover a new device and install drivers for it? That's what happened for me when the Pegasus was put into firmware update mode. Pegasus identified itself to Windows as a new different kind of hardware device and Windows automatically installed drivers for it. I can't remember the device name it identified itself as unfortunately, but you could probably find it in Device Manager in Windwos 10. It's possible that identification process hasn't worked correctly and that's why the updater isn't finding a valid device.

One more thing I did, which I don't know if it'll help, was to install a Chinese language pack and change system locale to China. I don't know if it's necessary for the firmware update to work, but it'll at least change those garbled characters into Chinese characters. It could be worth trying if you don't get it to work. I don't know if you need the language pack installed to change system locale. But you can install language packs in the Windows 10 settings under Time & Language. After that go to the old Control Panel, Region and Language, Administrative settings, Language for non-Unicode programs, and set it to China. You don't need to change the display language in Windows to Chinese, only the system locale setting. It's a bit mysterious why Windows has these settings, but I'm familiar with them because they can solve problems with fan translated Japanese games.
Would you be able to let me know how you were able to get your Pegasus into firmware update mode, USB light flashing? Thank You

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #808 of 1,480
Would you be able to let me know how you were able to get your Pegasus into firmware update mode, USB light flashing? Thank You
I can't remember the exact process. But it involved holding down the NOS button until lamps started blinking, and then maybe pressing Input. Something like that. You'll know you succeeded if Windows detects a new device and starts installing drivers.

Jan 29, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #810 of 1,480
3. Plug in USB, choose USB as input way, Long press the NOS button
until the 1X and 2X light on, short press NOS button again until the DSD
light is on, too, and the USB light start Flashing.
Back to the computer, double-click the decompressed file to upgrade, it
will be finished in several seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back