Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Oct 26, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #646 of 1,482
Anyone know what the the Musician Pegasus firmware that's currently up on the Musician site do?

I'm hesitant to upgrade anything without knowing.
Between the Musician and Denafrips firmware, the file names and sizes are identical.
TotalCommander compares them: identical.
So I guess the Denafrips changelog can be validated (?)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/musician-audio-pegasus-r2r-dac.942618/post-16626895

And I confirm...
No more PCM1536 or DSD1024 (removed since V3.4.1) tested under HQplayer.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #647 of 1,482
Between the Musician and Denafrips firmware, the file names and sizes are identical.
TotalCommander compares them: identical.
Good to know! Then we'll know when new Musician firmware updates are available by looking at the Denafrips changelog.

Oct 27, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #648 of 1,482
Only the file 'libusb0.dll'.
In doubt, i always put a copy of the dll in the same folder as the program that needs it.
Then, reboot.
Hey, where did you get this file? I can't seem to find it in the firmware folder. I am starting to experience occasional stuttering or pausing during playback. Just started today which is probably day 3 of having it.

Oct 27, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #649 of 1,482
Hey, where did you get this file? I can't seem to find it in the firmware folder. I am starting to experience occasional stuttering or pausing during playback. Just started today which is probably day 3 of having it.
It's just written in the first post.
Just read (everything) and click. :wink:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/musician-audio-pegasus-r2r-dac.942618/post-16626694

For occasional stutters or pauses during playback, I think it's upstream of the dac (streamer, network).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #650 of 1,482
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #651 of 1,482
Had another quick observation and question - when using Roon and my Sony TA DAC/Amp via USB, hitting pause releases exclusive mode so I can say listen to audio from Youtube however with the Pegasus, this doesn't work unless I close Roon. Is there a setting that needs to be configured for this to happen? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Oct 27, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #652 of 1,482
Don't use Roon. You are trading sound quality for convenience.

Oct 27, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #653 of 1,482
Don't use Roon. You are trading sound quality for convenience.
I mainly stream tidal so you’re saying stick to using the tidal app? Tried Qobuz but some albums are missing..

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #654 of 1,482
The cable length talk from yesterday made me curious, so I bought a 2 meter HDMI 2.1 cable today and spent a few hours comparing 0.5 meters vs 2 meters.

I found posts claiming that the HDMI standard itself uses 2 meters as a reference length, and that any deviation from 2 meters whether longer or shorter requires the sender & receiver to do error compensation. So at least for home theater, 2 meters might be optimal. I don't think this applies to I2S though.

In my comparison I initially thought the longer cable length was better, because the sound was smoother, easier on the ears, and airier. But the more I listened, the more it seemed like a defect and not a feature. All sounds were kept at a distance, no matter the recording. With the 0.5 meter cable, there was more variability in sound, which to me means it's more true to the source and that it's bringing out the unique flavor of each recording more clearly. After a while the longer cable sound felt hollow and almost out of phase. The more distant and pleasant character became a source of frustration, because everything sounded the same. The airiness felt fake. This was my impression when listening with speakers.

To really decide once and for all which is best, I put on the HD 800, as they make comparisons with equipment ridiculously easy. With the 2 meter cable the stage width was noticeably wider, but also with a grainy layer on top, like digital noise. This was heard across all music. Changing to the 0.5 meters cable made the music sound more pure and clean. The grain was gone, the stage shrunk a bit in width, and the treble became a bit hotter. It felt like a more authentic reproduction of the source material, and more importantly it was more entertaining to listen to. It's hard to make the HD 800 dynamic and exciting, and with the 0.5 cable the Pegasus managed to do so. The 2 meter cable degraded the sound enough to make them sound sterile and analytical.

It'd be useful if someone with the right knowledge or equipment could tell us which HDMI cable length is optimal for I2S. But in my subjective experience after comparing 0.5 meters vs 2 meters for 3-4 hours, shorter is better.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #655 of 1,482
It'd be useful if someone with the right knowledge or equipment could tell us which HDMI cable length is optimal for I2S. But in my subjective experience after comparing 0.5 meters vs 2 meters for 3-4 hours, shorter is better.
I did it in this post, not long ago.
HDMI cable is another story. SQ decrease continuously with increased cable lenght, so keep it short, possibly no more than 30cm.
My explanation may be not clear for everybody, so it is better to say that I2S was standarized for inter-chip (or inter-board) communication. If I remember correctly 30cm is a maximum practical distance. Adoption for audio equipment as an external interface was not very successful (if you remember RJ45 connector). HDMI ports use LVDS signaling, it extended a maximum distance, but a topology of using a separate clock line make it useful only on short distances. HDMI I2S still has a major problem; it is strictly feed-forward interface (master clock is at a source). It would be better if it had a clock line feeding back, but it is how it was decided without my presence. :)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #656 of 1,482
Oct 28, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #657 of 1,482
I did everything you did but still got the Error 010: no valid device found. I placed the dll file in both the pegasus PES folder and windows\system32 and still have that error. Any idea?
So, I didn't take a note but I used both the Denafrips pack mentioned here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/musician-audio-pegasus-r2r-dac.942618/post-16626895
I had been looking for it since in the "Device manager" I had a "HiRes Audio F-20" driver installed incorrectly.
And Sajunky's advice on disabling the mandatory driver signature check

After checking, I have installed via the Denafrips software a libusb0.dll version (74,5k - 2019\08\25) present in the amd64 folder.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #658 of 1,482
The cable length talk from yesterday made me curious, so I bought a 2 meter HDMI 2.1 cable today and spent a few hours comparing 0.5 meters vs 2 meters.

I found posts claiming that the HDMI standard itself uses 2 meters as a reference length, and that any deviation from 2 meters whether longer or shorter requires the sender & receiver to do error compensation. So at least for home theater, 2 meters might be optimal. I don't think this applies to I2S though.

In my comparison I initially thought the longer cable length was better, because the sound was smoother, easier on the ears, and airier. But the more I listened, the more it seemed like a defect and not a feature. All sounds were kept at a distance, no matter the recording. With the 0.5 meter cable, there was more variability in sound, which to me means it's more true to the source and that it's bringing out the unique flavor of each recording more clearly. After a while the longer cable sound felt hollow and almost out of phase. The more distant and pleasant character became a source of frustration, because everything sounded the same. The airiness felt fake. This was my impression when listening with speakers.

To really decide once and for all which is best, I put on the HD 800, as they make comparisons with equipment ridiculously easy. With the 2 meter cable the stage width was noticeably wider, but also with a grainy layer on top, like digital noise. This was heard across all music. Changing to the 0.5 meters cable made the music sound more pure and clean. The grain was gone, the stage shrunk a bit in width, and the treble became a bit hotter. It felt like a more authentic reproduction of the source material, and more importantly it was more entertaining to listen to. It's hard to make the HD 800 dynamic and exciting, and with the 0.5 cable the Pegasus managed to do so. The 2 meter cable degraded the sound enough to make them sound sterile and analytical.

its good to know

Oct 28, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #660 of 1,482

Users who are viewing this thread

Back