Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Oct 26, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #631 of 1,482
this cannot be the rule
With the introduction of the USB cable and power supply, I got the biggest progress in getting details, texture, expanding and deepening the sound scene, a blacker background, fullness of tone ...
I noticed a very small shift by replacing the interconnection cables and inserting the IsoTek EVO 3 gemini - IsoTek EVO3 into the power line.
I assume that certain components have different effects on different systems
No, not the rule. Definitely improvements to the sound. But if I was looking purely at bang for buck after having tried all hose other tweaks, I2S output with a Douk U2 is it IMO.

At 50 something bucks, its the lowest cost and provided me the biggest impact.

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #633 of 1,482
No, not the rule. Definitely improvements to the sound. But if I was looking purely at bang for buck after having tried all hose other tweaks, I2S output with a Douk U2 is it IMO.

At 50 something bucks, its the lowest cost and provided me the biggest impact.
I don't know if you used a quality USB cable or still use it, but if you notice a better sound improvement with I2s-> Douk U2 pro, compared to the power cable, then it's a fantastic upgrade, and then it's definitely my next investment .

In that combination, the price of I2s cable is far higher than the price of Douk U2 pro, and I don't understand why the prices of cables are so high, but for me they make a difference, and I am forced to pay.

Which I2s cable are you using?
But, have a couple of not so bad HDMI cables in the house, so I'm ordering Douk U2 PRO today

Another question
whether you use a separate power supply for the Douk

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #634 of 1,482
I don't know if you used a quality USB cable or still use it, but if you notice a better sound improvement with I2s-> Douk U2 pro, compared to the power cable, then it's a fantastic upgrade, and then it's definitely my next investment .

In that combination, the price of I2s cable is far higher than the price of Douk U2 pro, and I don't understand why the prices of cables are so high, but for me they make a difference, and I am forced to pay.

Which I2s cable are you using?
But, have a couple of not so bad HDMI cables in the house, so I'm ordering Douk U2 PRO today

Another question
whether you use a separate power supply for the Douk
I have a supra usb cable, audio quest usb cable and just some generic usb cables, that I tested. No significant differences jumped out at me between those cables. The I2S cable is just a $20 Kondor blue HDMI cable.

In other systems/configs, I've noticed bigger differences between the cables. I think it really depends on your system /environment and what your bottlenecks might be. I think the better system you have, the bigger the difference cables will probably make, because your components aren't the limiting factor.

With the Douk, you can power it via USB or separately from the DC barrel to USB jack. In my setup, I tried both, but again didn't notice any difference so, I just use the same USB to cut down on cable clutter.

The included power supply is nothing fancy. I'm sure if you went with a higher quality LPS, it'd make more of a difference.

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #635 of 1,482
Yes, but as I described in my post above, it all depends on what's before the USB cable.
By the way, the Audiocadabra Ultimus is excellent (test made by several French forums against many other cables).
If you have a streamer with an excellent USB output (Allo USBridge or iFi Stream), the result will be very good.
The usb input of the Pagasus is not affected by the current (same schema as Denafrips). You need 5v to detect the input but the usb port is internally powered.
I do have my Shanti which can power the Douk but honestly, I hesitate to have another audio accessory gathering dust on my shelves ! :relaxed:

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #636 of 1,482
I was thinking of buying a slightly better streamer, but I temporarily gave up because I installed Audirvana Studio in my Dell G5 (32 gb RAM) through which I have a much better sound than through Tidal and for now I am satisfied.
I have a problem finding a Douk U2 Pro for sale in Europe

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #637 of 1,482
I have a supra usb cable, audio quest usb cable and just some generic usb cables, that I tested. No significant differences jumped out at me between those cables. The I2S cable is just a $20 Kondor blue HDMI cable.

In other systems/configs, I've noticed bigger differences between the cables. I think it really depends on your system /environment and what your bottlenecks might be. I think the better system you have, the bigger the difference cables will probably make, because your components aren't the limiting factor.

With the Douk, you can power it via USB or separately from the DC barrel to USB jack. In my setup, I tried both, but again didn't notice any difference so, I just use the same USB to cut down on cable clutter.

The included power supply is nothing fancy. I'm sure if you went with a higher quality LPS, it'd make more of a difference.
There are minimal differences between cables when U2Pro is bus powered, even supplied USB cable works well. USB cable becomes important when attaching external USB cable. This post describe what kind of cable is needed.

HDMI cable is another story. SQ decrease continuously with increased cable lenght, so keep it short, possibly no more than 30cm. I didn't test it yet, but when better quality clocks are installed on U2Pro, HDMI cables should have a bigger impact. In all cases use 4K marked cable, it provides better shielding (if a cable really meets HDMI specs).

Did you get power supply with Douk? The one selling on Amazon US only comes with the brarrel-to-USB power cable.

To all others, please don't ignore electrical connectivity rules. It is about connecting Topping preamp to Pegasus, even there is an impression of a better sound. It can be misleading. In this case HF roll-off can provide pleasing results, the same when adding colouration due to the small distortions. Both are mathematically proven in this case. Better perception it is rather indicative of a wrong (sterile clean) sound characteristic of the pre-amp which is also abnormal, like a low imput impedance. Pegasus users should look elsewhere, strongly advised.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #639 of 1,482
There are minimal differences between cables when U2Pro is bus powered, even supplied USB cable works well. USB cable becomes important when attaching external USB cable. This post describe what kind of cable is needed.

HDMI cable is another story. SQ decrease continuously with increased cable lenght, so keep it short, possibly no more than 30cm. I didn't test it yet, but when better quality clocks are installed on U2Pro, HDMI cables should have a bigger impact. In all cases use 4K marked cable, it provides better shielding (if a cable really meets HDMI specs).

Did you get power supply with Douk? The one selling on Amazon US only comes with the brarrel-to-USB power cable.

To all others, please don't ignore electrical connectivity rules. It is about connecting Topping preamp to Pegasus, even there is an impression of a better sound. It can be misleading. In this case HF roll-off can provide pleasing results, the same when adding colouration due to the small distortions. Both are mathematically proven in this case. Better perception it is rather indicative of a wrong (sterile clean) sound characteristic of the pre-amp which is also abnormal, like a low imput impedance. Pegasus users should look elsewhere, strongly advised.
Sajunky I have both the Douk with standard and femto clocks. Femto version was like over $250. Wasn't worth it IMO.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #640 of 1,482
How is it installed?
And which you recommend as optimal
Any cellular repair shop with hot-air soldering station can replace oscilators for a small fee. Instruction is here with links. In this post, there are links to the NDK oscilators which are is expected to work the best with U2Pro. I do recommend Crysteks, I was upgrading Amanero Combo386 see this post. Whether it will work the same on U2Pro, I don't know. Audio GD R2R-11 has very good on-board regulators, U2Pro very basic, sound quality can be affected.

You must be patient when deciding whether the upgrade is worth or not. Standard oscilators achieve optimum performance after couple minutes or few hours. On the other side, fem-to oscilators require a long burning time. On my upgraded Amanero Combo384 initial effect was noticeable, but not jaw dropping. However improvements were progressive during the first three weeks. Full burning time is about 500-1000 hours. Now a sound coming from my R2R-11 ($350) is completely transformed. A friend visiting me was surprised and told me that I don't need a better DAC. He owns Springs 2 (Level 2, I don't trust my memory).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #641 of 1,482
Sajunky I have both the Douk with standard and femto clocks. Femto version was like over $250. Wasn't worth it IMO.
I agree with, no question. Even if it improve sound after burnin period. A made my commment before in U2Pro thread, DIY upgrade is the best option.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #642 of 1,482
Try one of these cable out:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081N5VV54/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HP3KKX9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And, there's new discussions that 2m is optimal length. I first heard about this from Pierre Sprey of Mapleshade before he passed away asking why he only sells HDMI cables at 2m length. And, recently, in another forum about SU-6, people are discovering 2m length sounds better.

I didn't try it out myself. I use 1m and .5m.

Oct 26, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #643 of 1,482
I don't know what it is with a length of 2m, but while I was researching which USB cable to buy, a group of enthusiasts came to the conclusion on a blind test that the one with a length of 2m sounds best and they can't explain why.
I didn't find that length in the store, so I took 1.5m
Inakustik USB 2.0 Reference which according to many brought more than Curious USB

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #645 of 1,482
Anyone know what the the Musician Pegasus firmware that's currently up on the Musician site do?
There is no changelog, but I've updated mine and there was no difference in sound. Most likely only compatibility and bug fixes. I was experiencing occasional stutters, which is why I updated mine, and it fixed the problem for me. If you're not experiencing any issues, don't bother updating.

I don't know what it is with a length of 2m, but while I was researching which USB cable to buy, a group of enthusiasts came to the conclusion on a blind test that the one with a length of 2m sounds best and they can't explain why.
I also remember discussions from 10+ years ago about optimal USB cable length, where 0.5 meters was too short because of the cable reflection problem. From what I remember 1.5 meters should be fine.

Finding the HDMI I2S length discussion very interesting. I first bought a 1.5 meters HDMI 2.1 cable by Moshou (cheap), and later replaced it with a 0.5 meters Supra HDMI 2.1 cable. When I first upgraded to the Supra cable I noticed a surprising change in the character of the sound, with a sharper sound. Just now I tried comparing the sound of the two cables in a more controlled way, keeping volume and seating position the same between changes. Sure enough the character of the sound changes between the two, with Supra feeling closer and the 1.5 meters Moshou cable having more air, with a different style of bass attack in certain tracks. I can't tell which is more correct than the other, but they are certainly different. There could be something to the idea of 2 meters being optimal. Both sound good though. There's nothing obviously wrong with either, but now I want to buy a 2 meter cable lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back