Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Oct 24, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #616 of 1,482
Hey guys, I just got a Pegasus and was wanting to know if I should update the firmware? I'm using Win 10 x64..
If yes, should i upgrade the firmware before installing the driver?

Just wondering if it makes a difference.. thanks!

Edit: couldn't update firmware. had a library error.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #617 of 1,482
Also having issues updating the firmware. I'm having precisely the problem @Zaurux described. Tried with my Windows surface book

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #618 of 1,482
yeah and I can't figure out how to install the 32bit version of the driver. DAC seems to work fine tho..

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #619 of 1,482
Yes - that's what I'm using.

Only caveat that comes to mind is the left and right channels are reversed.

On Mac, I just fix that by swapping them in Audio Midi Setup.
You mentioned you're using the Pre90 with the Pegasus. I'm considering it as well mainly for the volume control across my amps/monitors. I watched reviews and some say it improves the sound? What are your thoughts on the pre90?

Oct 25, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #621 of 1,482
Oct 25, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #624 of 1,482
and if not, apart from the software stories, is there any music coming out of this tool?
Those who have a Pegasus discuss software and improvements... and enjoy the sound, so buy it ! :p

Read the reviews, it makes great music and sound !

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #625 of 1,482
@TheManko & @sajunky :

I2S hdmi vs USB (?)
Honestly, after tests you think that a following assembly : Doukaudio XU208 + hdmi (which cable ?) would be superior to USB imput, connected directly to my Allo USBridge (gentooplayer) with an Audiocadabra Ultimus ?
I remain circumspect!
I use the Pegasus only in DSD 256 native via HQPlayer.
So the setup would be as follows: I put the Douk between the USB cable and the HDMI input (?).
An extra intermediary can certainly bring colour but an improvement ?
But I listen to those who have tested it... :sunglasses:

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #627 of 1,482
I2S hdmi vs USB (?)
Honestly, after tests you think that a following assembly : Doukaudio XU208 + hdmi (which cable ?) would be superior to USB imput, connected directly to my Allo USBridge (gentooplayer) with an Audiocadabra Ultimus ?
That's a tricky one, because the only USB source I've used is my PC, which I know is a noisy source. With my PC there was a clear improvement when using a 10 year old Musical Fidelity V-Link 192, which is a USB to AES converter. The DI-20 which I use now has coax, AES and I2S output, and I've compared all three several times, with I2S sounding best. So if you were using a regular PC with mediocre or bad USB quality, I'd strongly recommend getting something like the Doukaudio XU208 or similar. But because you're using an Allo USBridge I'm not sure you'll hear as big of a difference, as I assume it has a clean USB output. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #628 of 1,482
You mentioned you're using the Pre90 with the Pegasus. I'm considering it as well mainly for the volume control across my amps/monitors. I watched reviews and some say it improves the sound? What are your thoughts on the pre90?
Nope. It can only make sound worse. Topping input impedance is extremely low, people should be aware of that. It is below 2kOhm if I remember correctly, it should be close to 100kOhm on XLR. When paired with Pegasus you can expect high frequency roll off, increasing distortions, as ladder is overloaded by low input impedance of the preamp.

In addition, it is nested lopback opamp design, it measure well, but will react poor to the high frequency components coming out of a ladder. For a ladder DAC like this, Class A discrete amplifier is better, or a tube.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #629 of 1,482
Nope. It can only make sound worse. Topping input impedance is extremely low, people should be aware of that. It is below 2kOhm if I remember correctly, it should be close to 100kOhm on XLR. When paired with Pegasus you can expect high frequency roll off, increasing distortions, as ladder is overloaded by low input impedance of the preamp.

In addition, it is nested lopback opamp design, it measure well, but will react poor to the high frequency components coming out of a ladder. For a ladder DAC like this, Class A discrete amplifier is better, or a tube.
Thanks for your reply. Thoughts on adding a DDC like the Iris to the mix? I'm using a gaming pc as my source and currently have an iFi Silencer+ with the USB cable input to the Pegasus. Perhaps that would be a better upgrade? I am also looking to connect to my TA using Coax/Optical so a single USB out from my PC into the Iris and I2S into the Pegasus and coax/opt into the TA might be better than two usb out from my pc.

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #630 of 1,482
I can only speak from my 1st hand experience. I didn't observe any of the degradations Sajunky suggested based on the tech stuff. I believe it sounds better - it was clean amplification as far as my ears could tell. I cranked it and tested it with and without. It noticeably boosts the output from the Musician Pegasus to a better level for my amp.

I hesitate to say adding additional things to signal path can technically "improve" the sound, but it does what a preamp is supposed to do, and gets the audio to a better level for a power amp, in a minimally distorting way, so it sounds better to me.

My grip with it is the remote control requires very direct line of sight to work. Another grip, is it has a click stepped attenuator where sometimes the click will overshoot the half-steps in DB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back