Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
May 13, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #331 of 1,482
I don't know anything about ground loops, but on my laptop the usb works without any problems. I tried with iDefender and the expektation to get any improvement, instead of the improvement I just got a slight brightness. So for me it was a waste of money.
Maybe I didn't choose a good option, and if my laptop has ground loops, how can I reduce them?
I deal with ground loops on my R2R-11 by cable management for power cables, placing them tight together, then using ferrite clamps on the USB cable. Sometimes there is a need linking laptop ground with PC enclosure. These USB purifiy devices do not work.

May 13, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #332 of 1,482
I deal with ground loops on my R2R-11 by cable management for power cables, placing them tight together, then using ferrite clamps on the USB cable. Sometimes there is a need linking laptop ground with PC enclosure. These USB purifiy devices do not work.
Thanks for the reply, I'll try with ferrite clamps. Would you recommend some specific ones?

May 13, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #333 of 1,482
Neither Denafrips models, except Terminator+$$$$. The cheapest ladder DAC with USB isolator is Bi(t)frost 2, then Soekris, but I wouldn't buy any of them just for the isolator. Audio GD R-8mk2 is replacing 2021 model and comes with bidirectional USB isolator. It is very good design, as it doesn't do reclocking on USB port, the best for low jitter.

Good to know! To some that info might sway them one way or the other when picking a new dac. I'm hearing a big difference between coax, toslink, AES and USB depending on the source I've got plugged in. My old Xonar Essence STX via Coax sounds awful, my TV via toslink sounds fine, but a bit underwhelming, whereas V-Link 192 via AES sound by far the best. I bought a iFi SPDIF iPurifier2 because I wanted to improve the toslink audio from my TV (for PS4 and bluray use), and it made a big difference. Not as good as V-Link 192, but way better than USB or coax from my PC. I have no doubt now that the best sound would come from a I2S digital interface. It's just an inevitability before I get one.

May 13, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #334 of 1,482
Thanks for the reply, I'll try with ferrite clamps. Would you recommend some specific ones?
No specific requirements, all do the job. Not an Audiophile type, not in this case. They increase impedance on the shield allowing ground loops to flow the easiest way - between power cords. It is what you want.

Put two clamps one on each side of the cable. My Audio GD cable came with one clamp, it was not enough.
Good to know! To some that info might sway them one way or the other when picking a new dac. I'm hearing a big difference between coax, toslink, AES and USB depending on the source I've got plugged in. My old Xonar Essence STX via Coax sounds awful, my TV via toslink sounds fine, but a bit underwhelming, whereas V-Link 192 via AES sound by far the best. I bought a iFi SPDIF iPurifier2 because I wanted to improve the toslink audio from my TV (for PS4 and bluray use), and it made a big difference. Not as good as V-Link 192, but way better than USB or coax from my PC. I have no doubt now that the best sound would come from a I2S digital interface. It's just an inevitability before I get one.
Without ground loops the best quality theoretically should give USB, but it not happen frequently. Then AES, coax, optical being the worst.

S/PDIF type usually have mini-transformers inside sockets. USB is extremely difficult to isolate. The best way is to leave USB on a dirty side and isolate I2S pins. Yes, I am talking about USB to I2S converter, and even better: DI-20HE. :)

May 13, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #335 of 1,482
Yes, I am talking about USB to I2S converter, and even better: DI-20HE. :)
I've been looking at the DI-20 as a serious option. It's just on the edge of what I can rationalize paying for a digital interface. The DI-20HE is a bit too much as it's approaching the cost of the Pegasus alone. But I might be ordering a DI-20 given it looks like the best option at this time.

May 13, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #337 of 1,482
I've been looking at the DI-20 as a serious option. It's just on the edge of what I can rationalize paying for a digital interface. The DI-20HE is a bit too much as it's approaching the cost of the Pegasus alone. But I might be ordering a DI-20 given it looks like the best option at this time.
DI-20 is very good, there are competitors and advantages are not obvious for an average user, so many other DDC can be found at the same price. HE version has regenerative power supply. This is a feature that nobody else can offer, ir is easily to recognise amoung the cloud. Even in the Audio GD deparment HE equipped DACs are above $2k, so value of this offer is undeniable.

All right, @Ludique is right, I shouldn't mention DDC at all, forgotten, sorry. While pinout is the same, but no one has reported yet that PS-Audio compatible DDC works with Pegasus. There were reports about bugs in firmware, and there is no confirmation it had been fixed.

May 17, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #339 of 1,482
Still waiting for my PIE2AES to arrive but in the interim I've been playing around with what I have.

My current setup is Airplay > Apple TV > HDMI switch with COAX out > Pegasus > Loki + > Bakoon Amp-13R > HiFiman Susvara or Buchard S400

Despite the convoluted chain, its sounds great.

However I have an old ODROID-C2 I had kicking around and have it setup with Volumio 2. I airplay to Volumio and the Odroid C2 > USB > Pegasus.

Works well too.

Then I realized Odroid-C2 has an I2S output on it...

Any smarties out there know if I can go Odroid C2 > 7-pin I2S output to HDMI > I2s HDMI on Pegasus?

Here are all the spec sheets including the I2S to HDMI adapter:

1620421576468.png
Hello,

did you get the PIE2AES? Is it working with Pegasus?

regards,
Simon

May 18, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #344 of 1,482
May 18, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #345 of 1,482

Users who are viewing this thread

Back