Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
May 18, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #346 of 1,482
Wow - that is cheap.

For that price - I would not mind testing it against the PIE2AES. Amazon has a good return policy.

My primitive brain tells me the I2S output would help improve jitter, only question is whether the Douk or the Pie2AES would be better at reducing electrical noise.

I didn't hesitate. I just ordered one.

At a minimum I can use it with my Odroid C2 running Volumio

Airplay > Odroid (Volumio) > USB output to the Douk > I2S > Pegasus

It looks like it has a pretty small form factor, so I can probably mount it on the underside of a table out of sight.

When my Pie2AES arrives I can compare.

May 19, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #347 of 1,482
Wow - that is cheap.

For that price - I would not mind testing it against the PIE2AES. Amazon has a good return policy.

My primitive brain tells me the I2S output would help improve jitter, only question is whether the Douk or the Pie2AES would be better at reducing electrical noise.
:)

It is expected to reduce ground loops entering Pegasus, especially with a linear PSU, but jitter?
It depends on the quality of the on-board oscilators in Pegasus. Better quality, less improvement or even performance drop, as oscilators on U2 Pro a very much standard quality. Pegasus will apply PLL for de-jittering, but it might be insufficient. This is how I2S works: a source is a master clock in this interface.

There is a better price on Aliexpress $40.94, but do I mention it only, as there is a link to the eBay Douk Audio Store. Prices are adjusted for western customers, but there are 3 options to chose:
$52.24 standard
$85.49 with TXCO
$189.99 with Crystek CCHD-957

The last option would bring significant improvemend in SQ, but is so expensive that I would rather order a standard version and mod it myself, as CCHD-957 oscilators cost only $13 each on Mouser or Digikey.

May 19, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #348 of 1,482
Wow - that is cheap.

I want to raise the level of sound quality, but not to invest a lot of money. I look forward to your impression of Pie2AES, although your system is more revealing, so small changes in your sound in my system may not be detected at all.
In any case, we are waiting for your device as eagerly as you are

May 19, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #349 of 1,482
I used Matrix SPDIF2 and didn't hear too much of a diff between USB and I2S input on Pegasus. I don't think I used the option of external power supply on the SPDIF2 though.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #350 of 1,482
:)

It is expected to reduce ground loops entering Pegasus, especially with a linear PSU, but jitter?
It depends on the quality of the on-board oscilators in Pegasus. Better quality, less improvement or even performance drop, as oscilators on U2 Pro a very much standard quality. Pegasus will apply PLL for de-jittering, but it might be insufficient. This is how I2S works: a source is a master clock in this interface.

There is a better price on Aliexpress $40.94, but do I mention it only, as there is a link to the eBay Douk Audio Store. Prices are adjusted for western customers, but there are 3 options to chose:
$52.24 standard
$85.49 with TXCO
$189.99 with Crystek CCHD-957

The last option would bring significant improvemend in SQ, but is so expensive that I would rather order a standard version and mod it myself, as CCHD-957 oscilators cost only $13 each on Mouser or Digikey.
Yah that's quite the price jump.

I ordered directly from Douk's website (not eBay) and they did not offer options for the upgraded oscillators.

Is the mod as simple as unsoldering the 2 standard chips and replacing them with 2 x Crystal CCHD-957?

Maybe I'll get a buddy to do it for me. I'm pretty sloppy with the soldering iron.

May 21, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #351 of 1,482
I used Matrix SPDIF2 and didn't hear too much of a diff between USB and I2S input on Pegasus. I don't think I used the option of external power supply on the SPDIF2 though.

Which LPS are quality? It is said that when you don't know what quality is, look at what is expensive, but I think there are also cheaper quality LPS.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #352 of 1,482
Occasionally it happens that the sound becomes scattered,metallic cross,of course it is impossible to distinguish anything in that scattering (I do not know how to express myself clearer or professionally), and when I pause and then release the sound, everything is normal.
Does anyone have an idea?

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #353 of 1,482
Is the mod as simple as unsoldering the 2 standard chips and replacing them with 2 x Crystal CCHD-957?

Maybe I'll get a buddy to do it for me. I'm pretty sloppy with the soldering iron.
Not 100% sure, a photo shows SCTF clocks, the same as on my Amanero Combo384 module to which I do have schematics. I have confirmation of compatibility in my case and I am planing to do it, local conditions make it expensive on my side, trying to find a workaround.

There is a one important difference. SCTF has an enable pin with three-state output (if disabled). It means that outputs from two oscilators can be wired together. If it is in your case, then no, Crystek cannot be used, as it has no enable pin, its output is active all the time. As they also offer a Crystek version, it is expected that in this design Crystek is a drop-in replacement.

Soldering is not a problem, but removing the existing chip is. You need at least two soldering irons and three hands to do a job. Not a normal iron, but esd safe. Some workshops have SMD rework station that works on the hot air principle. When soldering a new device you also need two irons, as uneven heating may damage internal structure and it must be done quick. In other words, better do a professional job.

May 21, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #354 of 1,482
Occasionally it happens that the sound becomes scattered,metallic cross,of course it is impossible to distinguish anything in that scattering (I do not know how to express myself clearer or professionally), and when I pause and immediately release the sound, everything is normal.
Does anyone have an idea?
This only happens while streaming music from the network,not in Audirvana. I think the problem is over-sampling in MIDI
But that didn't happen to me in previous years with other systems,and why it happens occasionally?

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #355 of 1,482
Not 100% sure, a photo shows SCTF clocks, the same as on my Amanero Combo384 module to which I do have schematics. I have confirmation of compatibility in my case and I am planing to do it, local conditions make it expensive on my side, trying to find a workaround.

There is a one important difference. SCTF has an enable pin with three-state output (if disabled). It means that outputs from two oscilators can be wired together. If it is in your case, then no, Crystek cannot be used, as it has no enable pin, its output is active all the time. As they also offer a Crystek version, it is expected that in this design Crystek is a drop-in replacement.

Soldering is not a problem, but removing the existing chip is. You need at least two soldering irons and three hands to do a job. Not a normal iron, but esd safe. Some workshops have SMD rework station that works on the hot air principle. When soldering a new device you also need two irons, as uneven heating may damage internal structure and it must be done quick. In other words, better do a professional job.

Hmm...I'll see how well the Douk and the Pie2AES do against my existing setup first before throwing more $ at it. My system already keeps me happy, but if its not cost prohibitive, I enjoy playing to squeeze out more performance.

If it seems like it'll be worth it, I'll probably just by the Douk with the Crysteks instead of modding. Price is a big jump from the standard, but not overly pricey in the big scheme of things relative to my other gear.

May 21, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #356 of 1,482
Which LPS are quality? It is said that when you don't know what quality is, look at what is expensive, but I think there are also cheaper quality LPS.
I use ifi ipower with matrix usb hcard and hear a small improvement. I'd suspect matrix spdif2 would also benefit the same.

May 21, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #357 of 1,482
This only happens while streaming music from the network,not in Audirvana. I think the problem is over-sampling in MIDI
But that didn't happen to me in previous years with other systems,and why it happens occasionally?
I have experienced the same issue using Roon/Qoboz. A new song starts and there is static/tinny distortion. Hit the pause and restart in Roon and it clears the issue and returns to normal. I suspect it might be an issue with change in sampling rate between songs but will have to observe and document more closely.

May 21, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #358 of 1,482
If it seems like it'll be worth it, I'll probably just by the Douk with the Crysteks instead of modding. Price is a big jump from the standard, but not overly pricey in the big scheme of things relative to my other gear.
Yip,it is worth to try a mod. Original Douk with Crystek is overpriced, there is no justification for such big jump, it could be export restrictions from US. Otherwise an interesting product in a standard form, but remember that there is no USB isolator and versatility of reclocking that real standalone DDC have.

May 21, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #360 of 1,482
I have experienced the same issue using Roon/Qoboz. A new song starts and there is static/tinny distortion. Hit the pause and restart in Roon and it clears the issue and returns to normal. I suspect it might be an issue with change in sampling rate between songs but will have to observe and document more closely.
That happened to me when I watched videos on Youtube or streaming music on net, the last time yesterday, and a month before that ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back