Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Apr 17, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #302 of 1,480
Hi Guys,

A while back I was looking some additional tweaks to help me squeeze more out of my Pegasus. Still my preferred dac at it's price-point, small form factor and sound quality. I upgraded the fuses, gonna build a sexier, thicker gauge power cord on it and was also considering a DDC (Digital to Digital Convertor) to clean up the timing and any potential electrical noise.

My top option at the time was a Denafrips DDC - but was hesitant if it was worth the cost. For me desktop real estate is important, would prefer not to add another big box if possible.

Just discovered GoldenSound's channel on YouTube and he has high praise for a PIEAES to do the job. Seems to fit my criteria - relatively cheap, and the box is probably small enough that I could mount/hide it someone instead of leaving it on the desktop.

Anyhow try this out?

If so, what interconnect do you recommend with Pegasus? What to consider between AES and I2S (if it's even compatible)?

Most importantly if you've tested this, how's the sound?

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #303 of 1,480
Hi Guys,

A while back I was looking some additional tweaks to help me squeeze more out of my Pegasus. Still my preferred dac at it's price-point, small form factor and sound quality. I upgraded the fuses, gonna build a sexier, thicker gauge power cord on it and was also considering a DDC (Digital to Digital Convertor) to clean up the timing and any potential electrical noise.

My top option at the time was a Denafrips DDC - but was hesitant if it was worth the cost. For me desktop real estate is important, would prefer not to add another big box if possible.

Just discovered GoldenSound's channel on YouTube and he has high praise for a PIEAES to do the job. Seems to fit my criteria - relatively cheap, and the box is probably small enough that I could mount/hide it someone instead of leaving it on the desktop.

Anyhow try this out?

If so, what interconnect do you recommend with Pegasus? What to consider between AES and I2S (if it's even compatible)?

Most importantly if you've tested this, how's the sound?
We are in a similar dilemma to upgrade.
Rejoice in the power cable, because it brings the most striking change of all cables. For 200 e or $ there are already great power cables

Apr 19, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #304 of 1,480
We are in a similar dilemma to upgrade.
Rejoice in the power cable, because it brings the most striking change of all cables. For 200 e or $ there are already great power cables
Well, I purchased some Black Mamba V2 raw cable and some connectors, but I don't like how stiff the cable is.

Any recommendations on some good cable, reasonably priced that is more supple?

I like them more supple so I can route/hide them much easier. When the cable is too stiff, I find it puts too much tension on the devices is just a pain the butt to work with.

I also forged ahead and ordered a Raspberry Pi 4B + Pie2AES Audio Shield. I plan to run ROPIEEE XL on it as an Airplay device. I'm not a ROON user, and despite my decent gear, I mainly listen to music via Youtube, free Spotify, and least from my personal digital library.

I like to strike a balance between having the audio adapt to my style/environment for listening instead of the other way around, especially since I have a small apartment. Can't give speakers all that breathing room, have to make the best of the space I have.

So my plan is to Airplay from my Mac or iPhone streams from Youtube, Spotify and any other system audio to the Pie2AES Audio Shield > I2S/HDMI > Musician Pegasus > Bakoon Amp 13R > to Hifiman Susvara or my Buchardt S400.

For me it's the right balance of convenience and sound quality in a compact form factor.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #305 of 1,480
Well, I purchased some Black Mamba V2 raw cable and some connectors, but I don't like how stiff the cable is.

Any recommendations on some good cable, reasonably priced that is more supple?

I like them more supple so I can route/hide them much easier. When the cable is too stiff, I find it puts too much tension on the devices is just a pain the butt to work with.

I also forged ahead and ordered a Raspberry Pi 4B + Pie2AES Audio Shield. I plan to run ROPIEEE XL on it as an Airplay device. I'm not a ROON user, and despite my decent gear, I mainly listen to music via Youtube, free Spotify, and least from my personal digital library.

I like to strike a balance between having the audio adapt to my style/environment for listening instead of the other way around, especially since I have a small apartment. Can't give speakers all that breathing room, have to make the best of the space I have.

So my plan is to Airplay from my Mac or iPhone streams from Youtube, Spotify and any other system audio to the Pie2AES Audio Shield > I2S/HDMI > Musician Pegasus > Bakoon Amp 13R > to Hifiman Susvara or my Buchardt S400.

Perfect balance and convenience and audio quality with great sounding gear in a small footprint.
Yes, that Black Mamba V2 case looks really stiff. My Pegasus has a Supercord Gold MK 2 plugged in, and it's flexible, and a Bryston has an Audioquest (I forgot which model is) as thick as a finger, and it's very stiff.

For years I have been listening to certain internet stations in direct access (not via Winamp or others) so the quality is the best, there are other options like SoundCloud.. .
Tidal has the option of videos, but I don't know if it is present in the free version.

I'm glad you opted for Pie2AES (I'm interested in which power supply you opted for), and I'm interested in what kind of change it makes in the sound.

I hope you get it as soon and share your experience with us

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #306 of 1,480
Yes, that Black Mamba V2 case looks really stiff. My Pegasus has a Supercord Gold MK 2 plugged in, and it's flexible, and a Bryston has an Audioquest (I forgot which model is) as thick as a finger, and it's very stiff.

For years I have been listening to certain internet stations in direct access (not via Winamp or others) so the quality is the best, there are other options like SoundCloud.. .
Tidal has the option of videos, but I don't know if it is present in the free version.

I'm glad you opted for Pie2AES (I'm interested in which power supply you opted for), and I'm interested in what kind of change it makes in the sound.

I hope you get it as soon and share your experience with us
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into the Supercord Gold MK2!

Apr 29, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #308 of 1,480
anyone use RCA output from Pegasus? Is it much worse than balanced? Because my Exposure 3010s2d doesn't have an xlr input.
I use RCA of the Pegasus connected to the Singxer SA-1 and don't hear any degradation in sound quality compared to XLR.

Apr 29, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #310 of 1,480
I use RCA of the Pegasus connected to the Singxer SA-1 and don't hear any degradation in sound quality compared to XLR.
OK. Interesting. hmm... Decisions decisions ...
By no means can I decide between Ares II, Pegasus and Pontus II.
The problem is because I can only buy Pegasus and return it in 14 days if I don’t like it. Denafrips does not have this option.

Apr 29, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #311 of 1,480
The problem is because I can only buy Pegasus and return it in 14 days if I don’t like it. Denafrips does not have this option.
Even I might get some bashing here, but the at least in my experience having both, the Ares II and the Pegasus don't differ fundamentally from each other (since designed basically by the same OEM team), but the Pontus II might be a step up over both (did not listen myself yet). But the Ares II and Pegasus are so good already, that either one of them easily can be your "end game" (but you also might get intrigued to buy the Pontus II later :) )

Apr 29, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #312 of 1,480
So far I haven't heard any R2R DAC. Probably, however, the sound is quite different from the DS DAC. I’ve had quite a few of these over the years (Rega DAC-R, Naim DAC V1, Aune S16, Nuprime DAC 9, and now a modded :smirk:Topping D30 ).

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #313 of 1,480
So far I haven't heard any R2R DAC. Probably, however, the sound is quite different from the DS DAC. I’ve had quite a few of these over the years (Rega DAC-R, Naim DAC V1, Aune S16, Nuprime DAC 9, and now a modded :smirk:Topping D30 ).
Hearing D30... What a opportunity for a mod, :) as a stock one sounds totally crap, supplied with inferior parts and a (suspected) fake opamps. It had been displaced by a Nobsound 8xTDA1387 DAC/HPA that arrived around the same time. Now using a Nobsound on the road, having on desktop Audio GD R2R-11. It is in a different league, competing against other products costing 5 times more.

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #315 of 1,480
OK. Interesting. hmm... Decisions decisions ...
I don't think you would go wrong with either of these three DACs. ARES II + Power cord, Pegasus which is great and you can also return it + Power cord or Pontus II which is certainly not worse than both DACs

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back