Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Mar 24, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #272 of 1,482
Wait for what? This company do not make official announcements. Denafrips and Audio GD is available now and is safe to buy. R-1 2021 version is only $100 more than Ares II and has improvements other companies still have to follow. It makes a sound on the USB connection better without DDC. But I2S is already there, it will be still improvements when adding DI-20HE later, though.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #274 of 1,482
I've owned Ares 2 not long ago and have Pegasus and Pontus 2 at the moment. I've been testing out between Pegasus and Pontus 2 to hear the difference. The first impression of Pegasus is more sub-bass presence using headphones. I really like the bass coming out from Pegasus. The sound stage is well spread out and I can distinguish the instruments and voices. I tried to use i2s between Hermes DDC and Pegasus but it doesn't seem to work well. Also I can't tell the difference much between OS and NOS to my ears.

Pontus 2 delivers music more forward. I feel the music is playing more in front of my head than on the side of my ears. I now understand a little bit what the depth of the music means by hearing from Pontus 2. The voice pops out but I miss the bass from Pegasus while listening from Pontus 2. I can distinguish the sound between OS and NOS better than using Pegasus and I have no problem with i2s connection from Hermes to Pontus 2.

Mar 24, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #275 of 1,482
I've owned Ares 2 not long ago and have Pegasus and Pontus 2 at the moment. I've been testing out between Pegasus and Pontus 2 to hear the difference. The first impression of Pegasus is more sub-bass presence using headphones. I really like the bass coming out from Pegasus. The sound stage is well spread out and I can distinguish the instruments and voices. I tried to use i2s between Hermes DDC and Pegasus but it doesn't seem to work well. Also I can't tell the difference much between OS and NOS to my ears.

Pontus 2 delivers music more forward. I feel the music is playing more in front of my head than on the side of my ears. I now understand a little bit what the depth of the music means by hearing from Pontus 2. The voice pops out but I miss the bass from Pegasus while listening from Pontus 2. I can distinguish the sound between OS and NOS better than using Pegasus and I have no problem with i2s connection from Hermes to Pontus 2.
Interesting. What about Ares II vs Pegasus?

Thank you

regards,
Simon

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #276 of 1,482
Also I can't tell the difference much between OS and NOS to my ears.
This is very strange. It can be a reason that digital filters are not switched off in NOS mode. A boosted bass indicate the same.

Some examples of forgivable sins: pollution, homosexual practice and a heavy bass. They did it for you... :)

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #279 of 1,482

Thank you

regards,
Simon
I owned both and A-B'd them. Ares II is a great R2R at its price point but I found Pegasus to have all the soundstage, instrument separation/layering and holographic sound of the Ares II, but with more slightly more refinement and detail. As it has continued to break in (I leave mine on all the time), I feel it has continue to get better and better.

I have it feeding into a Bakoon Amp-13R with Buchardt S400s and also HiFiman Susvara. It's gonna hold me for a while. Also like that the footprint is still small enough to fit on a desktop.

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #280 of 1,482

Thank you

regards,
S
I didn't have both of them to test out. But I had Ares II and Bifrost 2 at the same time and Bifrost 2 performed very close to Ares II to my ear. That was the reason to sell Ares II eventually. Ares II was a astounding DAC, but as @VintageAudio mentioned above, Pegasus is better in every area in my opinion, especially bass performs very well. Also, I swapped ceramic fuses in Pegasus and it sounds warmer by a hair.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #281 of 1,482
I didn't have both of them to test out. But I had Ares II and Bifrost 2 at the same time and Bifrost 2 performed very close to Ares II to my ear. That was the reason to sell Ares II eventually. Ares II was a astounding DAC, but as @VintageAudio mentioned above, Pegasus is better in every area in my opinion, especially bass performs very well. Also, I swapped ceramic fuses in Pegasus and it sounds warmer by a hair.

I upgraded the fuses too and felt like it was like adding that little pinch of salt that finishes a dish.

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #282 of 1,482
I didn't have both of them to test out. But I had Ares II and Bifrost 2 at the same time and Bifrost 2 performed very close to Ares II to my ear. That was the reason to sell Ares II eventually. Ares II was a astounding DAC, but as @VintageAudio mentioned above, Pegasus is better in every area in my opinion, especially bass performs very well. Also, I swapped ceramic fuses in Pegasus and it sounds warmer
you say ceramic fuses, then that means they are not the same fuses built into every Pegasus

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #283 of 1,482
OK. Thank you.

regards,
Simon

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #284 of 1,482
It is not at all clear to me why you perceive my question - whether you are the owner of a Pegasus (twice asked) as a provocation. It was a question out of curiosity with no subsequent intention.
You said that everything that interests me, I ask publicly
Another question that interests me is regarding your comment - "Some examples of forgivable sins: pollution, homosexual practice and a heavy bass. They did it for you ... :)" - I don't understand what it refers to. You said that question I make it public and other members will answer me better.
My request to the other members to explain this @sajunky thought to me.
thank you all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back