Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Mar 8, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #241 of 1,482
I have tried U16 to Pegasus i2s with no problems. With external clock.
I saw you had and another mentioned using the Matrix successfully - so I’m a bit confused. Hoping for a response soon.

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #242 of 1,482
I have tried U16 to Pegasus i2s with no problems. With external clock.
Are you able to get into the I2s settings option on the Pegasus?

1615253210999.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #244 of 1,482
Musician Audio said, the older model doesn’t support the I2s pins configuration
Which means a current mode, right?
I didn't hear about new model.

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #246 of 1,482
I’m not sure what is the dividing line between the older model and the new.
I got the same answer from Aoshida. I2S setting is fixed on the original units in PS Audio mode.
After digging around, it looks like they made some revisions to the PCB. The latest pic on the Musician website is labeled v4 while my unit is v2.

They said I could send it in for an upgrade.... I asked what else has changed and how much would that be.... will update the forum accordingly.

Attachments

• v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 0
  • v4.jpg
    v4.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 0
Mar 9, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #248 of 1,482
In my case, I think the Matrix SPIDF2 I received is faulty and the I2S input using PS Audio mode is fine.

I realized I had another DDC in my car system and it actually had I2S out and operates in PSA mode (cheapo SMSL X-USB). I tested it this morning and it is working perfectly into the Pegasus. Similarly, I had mentioned earlier that the Gustard U16 in PSA mode also worked into the Pegasus (but the U16 had other issues so it was returned).

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #249 of 1,482
I got the same answer from Aoshida. I2S setting is fixed on the original units in PS Audio mode.
After digging around, it looks like they made some revisions to the PCB. The latest pic on the Musician website is labeled v4 while my unit is v2.

They said I could send it in for an upgrade.... I asked what else has changed and how much would that be.... will update the forum accordingly.

Looks like some fairly substantial differences between those versions of the PCB.

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #251 of 1,482
What are you seeing other than the transformer and wiring?
All glue logic area right to FPGA is completely different.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #253 of 1,482
Response from Aoshida

"The I2S pin layout is the same in the manual and website, your i2s is the first version so it without the 8 setting mode, other function is the same, no other difference.

You could fix the compatible problem by use a customized I2S cable, or you could send it back to us to upgrade, there is no charge for it, only the returning shipping cost."

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #254 of 1,482
Response from Aoshida

"The I2S pin layout is the same in the manual and website, your i2s is the first version so it without the 8 setting mode, other function is the same, no other differenc
You could fix the compatible problem by use a customized I2S cable, or you could send it back to us to upgrade, there is no charge for it, only the returning shipping cost."
How to get customized I2s cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back