Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Feb 28, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #227 of 1,482
Ah. Can't help except to confirm that it does Native DSD; I suspect you won't be able to use Native until Roon approves the Pegasus (Optical Rendu is approved).
Researching this a bit more on community.roonlabs.com, I read that macOS core audio driver (the native macOS driver) doesn't support a Native DSD option in Roon without an ASIO driver. It only supports DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP) option unless the dac manufacturer provides an ASIO driver. Most dac manufacturers don't provide ASIO drivers for macOS just for windows os. As far as I can tell that includes Musician.

Feb 28, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #228 of 1,482
Researching this a bit more on community.roonlabs.com, I read that macOS core audio driver (the native macOS driver) doesn't support a Native DSD option in Roon without an ASIO driver. It only supports DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP) option unless the dac manufacturer provides an ASIO driver. Most dac manufacturers don't provide ASIO drivers for macOS just for windows os. As far as I can tell that includes Musician.
Try to contact Musician for support, I think macOS does not support ASIO. Find out online.

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #231 of 1,482
Half of the reviews I've read find the bass a bit north of neutral, the other half find the bass a tad soft. Everyone seems to agree the bass is tight and articulate - the discrepancy seems to be in the bass level. What's everyone's view on this? Hard to know if these reported differences are due to system synergy, insufficient burn-in, inconsistency in the production units, etc. Thanks.

Mar 7, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #234 of 1,482
0E958687-9ECB-4BB6-BD4B-0891DA02EA63.jpeg
I tried to configure I2s pin according to the website. Pressing NOS button for 3 secs does not make I2s light flashing. Has anyone successfully changed the configuration? I even held a button for over 10 secs but no avail.

Mar 8, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #235 of 1,482
I tried to configure I2s pin according to the website. Pressing NOS button for 3 secs does not make I2s light flashing. Has anyone successfully changed the configuration? I even held a button for over 10 secs but no avail.
I tried a Gustard U16 in PSA mode - worked but the unit was glitchy (lost clock sync between tracks). When it was in sync though, it sounded great. I then just tried the Matrix XSPIDF2 this weekend which outputs in PSA mode and should work, but it sounds static-y on the Pegasus.

I tried changing the I2S mode and I'm having the same issue as you. I emailed Aoshida yesterday, waiting to hear back.

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #236 of 1,482
I tried a Gustard U16 in PSA mode - worked but the unit was glitchy (lost clock sync between tracks). When it was in sync though, it sounded great. I then just tried the Matrix XSPIDF2 this weekend which outputs in PSA mode and should work, but it sounds static-y on the Pegasus.

I tried changing the I2S mode and I'm having the same issue as you. I emailed Aoshida yesterday, waiting to hear back.
Let us know

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #237 of 1,482

I've emailed to Aoshida as well. Let's see why Pegasus doesn't work on i2s configuration.

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #239 of 1,482
Very uncomfortable. I hope we get a clarification
Since I purchased the Matrix from Power Holdings (now distributing Musician in the US), they're checking on it too. They have a Matrix playing fine w/ the Pegasus at their office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back