Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Mar 27, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #346 of 964
After trying many different tubes and not quite satisfied I decided to roll a couple of real Sylvania 1952 badboys with adaptors. What an improvement over the many other tubes I rolled. I have the mp-d2. I hope I'm not hurting anything like this and so far so good. The synergy with the mullard rectifier is great.
Cheers,
Ron.

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #347 of 964
Can anyone please tell me the correct way to install the capacitors, does the negative go on the front terminal and the positive on the back terminal? I dont want to kill my dac by putting them in the wrong way :)

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #348 of 964
After when @john8105 killed his MP-D2 dac...

vmoOGnMl.jpg

Mar 29, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #350 of 964
After trying many different tubes and not quite satisfied I decided to roll a couple of real Sylvania 1952 badboys with adaptors. What an improvement over the many other tubes I rolled. I have the mp-d2. I hope I'm not hurting anything like this and so far so good. The synergy with the mullard rectifier is great.
Cheers,
Ron.

So what tubes did you put in? You said Sylvania, but what number? If you are ever unsure about any tubes just ask Gary from MP, he is a nice guy and responds within a day or so

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #351 of 964
[QUOTE = "gkr7007, должность: 14525905, участник: 474637"] Различия для меня очень тонкие. Мой депутат с 4497 и 9038, мне нравится 4497 с этими великолепными бархатными фильтрами. Безусловно, это было большое изменение. Мне нравится выпрямитель NOS Phillips and Telefunken e88cc 60-х годов. Они, черт возьми, избили поставленные трубы. Это совершенно другой уровень. [/ QUOTE]

АКМ разработал новый ЦАП, AK4499EQ. Это новейший продукт VELVET SOUND VERITA, вслед за флагманским ЦАП предыдущего поколения AK4497EQ.

AK4499 принимает архитектуру Токовый выход, который является первым среди продуктов AKM. THD + N и высокое S / N. https://velvetsound.akm.com/global/en/products/

P.S. Mass production of the AKM AK4499EQ chip is scheduled for may 2019. With interest we will expect the emergence of new devices using this Converter.

Attachments

• 1555911836929.gif
    1555911836929.gif
    24 KB · Views: 0
  • AKM_2_2.jpg
    AKM_2_2.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #352 of 964
I have installed output capacitors are the huge Jupiter HT 4.7 UF + bypass Mundorf Silver Oil Supreme (Yes, a hybrid, best of both worlds, supposedly beating even pure silver one-cap solution). The top cover does not close completely .

Attachments

• IMG_20190421_215609.jpg
    IMG_20190421_215609.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #353 of 964
Hello
Has anyone tried to install to MKI another USB interface instead of the original one? I want to install https://www.engineered.ch/products/usb-interface-1/ . I want to connect it directly to the bus I2S, there is even a place on the board for connector 20 pin, but I do not know pinout on this board...Maybe someone will tell me if it has already tried to do.
https://radikal.ru]
ce2eb58fb932.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #354 of 964
Does a rectifier need to burn in?

Got a new Sophia Aqua 274B and replaced the GE 5Y3GT.

After few songs ... first impression.
There is more bass, darker and warm sounding.
But .... loss a bit of sound stage, less airy and in some high dynamic. There is less involve or presence being there.

Will 100 hours burning in change the dynamic?

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #357 of 964
Sophia and JJ, The beginning.
It was OMG. I like it warm, bass extension. It works better than GE 5Y3 GT.
They are just rectifier and I never thought the difference is BIG.

I do not have to push the amplifier gain and cut down loudness to 55-60 db.
It was not to loud, yet amazing. Me and my wife could hear the guitar string or piano bass hitting us in a subtle way.

Lately, Sophia swings to some brightness zone and less bass. I switched JJ out and replaced with EH.
EH helps to tone down the brightness, but bass is not well define as JJ and I do have to adjust the amplifier gain higher.

Objective: To burn in Sophia Aqua and EH over 100 to 120 hrs.

Rather hard to comment at the moment.
I would have to switch EH and JJ to hear which signalling tube works better with Sophia.

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #358 of 964
A long break in, 150+ hrs to date for Sophia Aqua rectifier.
In the process, MPD2 signalling tube moved from JJ to EH and finally settled with stock 6H6.

With GE 5Y3GT rectifier, I remembered 6H6 was boring in high and muddy in low.

Sophia with 6H6 is musical, smooth, polite, warm in the voices and bass is good.
Still, the dynamic is not as good as GE with JJ. Not much of those OMG or did you hear that.
There is still some brightness with the pair. Hopefully, Sophia needs some time to break in.

To solve the brightness issue, I added the following foobar dsp filter:
1. CD De-emphasis
2. IIR Filter low pass @ 18 kHz, 6 db
3. IIR Filter high pass @ 38 Hz, 6 db
4. Resampler 44.1 kHz

Tomorrow, I will change to Sophia with JJ E88CC.
And later, much later ... will re-evaluate Sophia with EH 6H30Pi Gold.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #359 of 964
I am burning both Sophia Aqua rectifier and EH 6H60 PI together.
They are at 70 hours of usage.
Hey there, buddy
You're tubes were "broken in" after about 10 hours (if that is even necessary). The only thing that may change with a tube is to burn off a bit of trace contaminant gas that may have been introduced. And that takes next to no time at all, certainly not 150 hours. The other thing is to let the tube warm up before use for a few minutes before listening for optimum operation of the tube.
What you need to remember is the bias of the unit in relation the the tube swapping you are doing. If the bias is off, you may be shocked at the difference in sound from correct bias to what it may be now. Problem is there is no bias adjustment on the unit as far as I know.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #360 of 964
Hey there, buddy
You're tubes were "broken in" after about 10 hours (if that is even necessary). The only thing that may change with a tube is to burn off a bit of trace contaminant gas that may have been introduced. And that takes next to no time at all, certainly not 150 hours. The other thing is to let the tube warm up before use for a few minutes before listening for optimum operation of the tube.
What you need to remember is the bias of the unit in relation the the tube swapping you are doing. If the bias is off, you may be shocked at the difference in sound from correct bias to what it may be now. Problem is there is no bias adjustment on the unit as far as I know.

GE is quite old, as you said could be bias related.
All other tubes new.

I wish you are right.
Well, my experience was different.

At the beginning, the rectifier sounded dull.
After several hours, it got better and we like the sound when it was paired with JJ.
After 40+ hours, there is a some loss in bass and followed by increase brightness. Example, cymbals was definitely sound way off right up front. Male or female voices was sharp, lot of 's'. My left ear was irritated after long listening.
I started switching signalling tubes. JJ to EH to 6H6.
Followed by setting dsp equalizer and dropped 7kHz onward down a fair bit.

At the moment, dsp equalizer was removed.
Some brightness, at least not all music. My ear no longer feel irritated.

Hopefully, Sophia gets better, else another hunt for rectifier.
Or as a friend said, get a subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back