Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Jun 19, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #361 of 958
GE 5Y3GT is back as my MP-D2 rectifier.

Sophia Aqua 274B with EH 6H30Pi and AK 4490 dac module, I could count Sarah Brightman singing with 's' in every sentences.

gkr7007 is right. Sophia Aqua is already break in.
Maybe I got a Sophia lemon.

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #362 of 958
Finally, Sophia Aqua rectifier with JJ EE88CC sounds a good match in MPD2.

Took a long while to burn in the Sophia Aqua.
All dsp in foobar removed.

Now, listening to Eva Cassidy, True Colors.
"Ahh beautiful, like a rainbow."

Cheers.

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #365 of 958
I would like to upgrade the USB card of my MP-D2 MK2 to the latest version. I read somewhere that in order to reap the benefits I should upgrade the MP-D2 firmware. Is there a detailed guide on how to do this?

The new firmware zip file has a tutorial in it.

Did your MP-D2 MKII come with the Arduino Board? You need one for flashing the Atmel chip in the MP-D2. Or you can flash a new Atmel chip and swap it with the Atmel in the MP-D2.

My MP-D2 didn't come with a new Atmel chip so I flashed the old one with the program XLoader. I am not sure if it erased the old flash first, it still worked. So I thought maybe I should try erase the old flash and I did that with the Arduino program. I believe when you run the Arduino program in order to erase the Atmel chip you just don't load a hex file. Then I flashed the Atmel chip with Xloader and the new hex file.

The Atmel chip has to go into the Arduino board the correct way or it wont read/write. I put the Atmel in the Arduino board the wrong way at first, just rotate the chip 180 degrees. When I took the Atmel out of the MP-D2 I marked the top with a red felt pen and I believe the top of the Atmel goes to the middle of the Arduino board.
P1010338.JPG
P1010345.JPG
P1010346.JPG
P1010353.JPG
P1010357.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #366 of 958
I also used the MP-D2 MKIII driver too. I use Foobar2000 and after the new firmware I swear it sounded better. Flac files worked great, but I did discover an issue playing DSD files. I downloaded this plug in for FB2000 foo_input_sacd 1.1.3zip and that cured everything. I still haven't upgraded to the new MKIII usb board yet, one of these days. I think when I do get the new board I will get the Crystek clocks.

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #367 of 958
Currently 9 have a teac ud301 as my dac. I play mostly 24 bit pcm, some 16bit, and some dsd. I thought my receiver was the weak point I'm my setup until I got a sony sacd changer c555es. Even cd's play from it sound amazing compared to the same album and resolution through the teac. How much of an improvement would this dac be over my teac? Anyone have experience with the teac ud301?

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #368 of 958
I don't have any experience with the UD301 so this would only be a guess. The UD301 can be bought for $300 or $400. The MP-D2 MKII and now the MKIII are around $900 and are considered to be super high value DACs. You can take the MKII or MKIII to another level by adding better tubes. The upgraded tubes can cost more than a UD301. You can upgrade the output capacitors to say Mundorf SGO, those alone cost as much as a UD301. You could splurge and get some Jupiter Copper capacitor, those will cost you double what a UD301 costs. I suspect the UD301 and the MP-D2 are on quite different levels. I read where someone bought a MP-D2 and compared it to their old totl schitt, the MP-D2 was quite a bit better. In a DAC shootout people thought an upgraded MP-D2 performed at the same level as a Denafrips Venus and that is a $3000 US DAC.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #369 of 958
Really curious about this dac. Currently own a teac ud301. Play mostly 24 and 16 bit dac files with some dsd. Listen to mostly classic rock, some 80's synth rock, alternative and such. Until recently i thought my amp was the weak point in my chain as i have been dissapointed with the sound. That is until i bought a used Sony C555es sacd changer as an upgrade to my older base model. Wow what a difference. Even playing a cd through it versus the same file and same quality flak from computer it sounds so much punchier and dynamic. That has led me to believe the dac is the issue. So i have been looking at many. The reviews on this have definently spiked my interest. The problem is i have never heard a tube..well anything. is it the type of sound you love or hate? Is it punchy and dynamic? My speakers are wharfedale denton 80th anniversery bookshelf speakers. What are the downsides of tube sound vs solid state? except of course having to replace them eventually. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #370 of 958
Well I was using an Oppo 95 that I bought new, so I never had a dedicated DAC. The Oppo 95 used ES9018 chips and it was regarded as a pretty good performer. The MP-D2 MKII was definitely better. I was going to get the AKM version, then decided on the ES9038 version. With the tubes I don't think its as much as you are going to love it or hate it, its more that you can tune the sound. With the MP-D2 MKII or MKIII you have the advantage of changing the output capacitors, they are easily changed because the MP-D2 uses binding post for their installation. The combination of rectifier tube, output capacitors, and output tubes is endless. Its a very versatile DAC, you could even use the preamp section to drive an amp or amps. Its not going to beat a dedicated preamp worth thousands, but it was far from horrible. The nice thing is you can order a basic MKIII and upgrade the chipsets, tubes, and capacitors at you leisure. The thing about doing it that way is money wise and you get to tell what each upgrade brings to the table. The basic version is great, but each upgrade will bring improvements and the cumulative effect takes the MP-D2 to another level. The MKIII already has the upgraded USB board as well as various other improvements.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #371 of 958
MP-D2 MK3 ES9038 Pro is in the house. I installed the Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil caps that were in my MK2 AK4497 and the same exact tubes.
The dac has been playing for an hour and I notice a lot more air and bigger sound stage compared to the MK2. I can't wait for this to be fully broken in.
how big a difference do the mundorf silver/gold/oil caps make over the stock caps?. Its quite an investment and don't know whether i should or just wait. Although i will be running it rca at first down the line will very likely run in balanced out.

Aug 30, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #372 of 958
I had the MKII for over a year before I put the SGO caps in it. I was happy with the stock caps, the SGO made a big difference. I wasn't sure what to expect...more air, more bass...they really put a smile on my face. If you are worried about the money just get the basic version. Get well accustomed to the sound of the basic, then start adding upgrades. I would be very surprised if you didn't like even the stock version. Then maybe add the AK4497 chipset or add some output tubes, the Russian 6n23p are a fairly inexpensive tube to start out with. I did tubes first, 6n23p then I put a Siemens GZ34 in it.

Aug 30, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #373 of 958
I had the MKII for over a year before I put the SGO caps in it. I was happy with the stock caps, the SGO made a big difference. I wasn't sure what to expect...more air, more bass...they really put a smile on my face. If you are worried about the money just get the basic version. Get well accustomed to the sound of the basic, then start adding upgrades. I would be very surprised if you didn't like even the stock version. Then maybe add the AK4497 chipset or add some output tubes, the Russian 6n23p are a fairly inexpensive tube to start out with. I did tubes first, 6n23p then I put a Siemens GZ34 in it.
Appreciate the advice thank you. My pockets arent as deep as some on hear. So I have to be kind of frugal and plan things out

Sep 1, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #374 of 958
Each component upgrade needs to burn both money and time. :anguished:

My advice is upgrade the DAC module first. I have both the AK4490 and ES 9038.
Their sound signature are quite a big difference. Cost money but minimum time.
Once a while I would change them when I am tired of one signature.
Wonder why Gary not supplying the ES 9038 Pro?

New signalling tubes, rectifier tubes and coupling capacitors may need plenty of burn in time.
Search the net to know more about their burn in periods and sound signature during burn in time.

Since you are going RCA, you could upgrade signalling and capacitors together.
You can burn these new components as spare while you listens to the stock components.

I go for new tubes than NOS. Cost less, no worry about tube life span and easy to replace.
My default is JJ EE88CC, it sounds so much better than my stock 6H6 and EH 6H30 PI.

I upgraded my rectifier last, chose Sophia Aqua 274B, a new design tube in the market.
It gave me to most headache for the lack of info for burn in period and sound signature during burn in time.
Eventually it turn out great after super long burn in time.
Hey, I read the Psvane WE274B replica tube also takes above 200 hours to burn in.

Next upgrade at year end ..... *drum beats* USB board with Crystek.

Wish you a happy journey with MP D2 mk3.

Ok ... now playing Bad Boy, album Primitive Love, Miami Sound Machine

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back