Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Sep 1, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #376 of 963
In response to my inquiry, Garry emailed me that "we are planning to make a ak4499 module for MP-D2." No other info, such as when this would occur, was provided. Probably worth waiting for.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #377 of 963
I have read in a past post from a reputable user that the MP-D2 should be used with USB , since the coaxial is "problematic".
Could somebody explain if this is still valid and what is the problem?

About the ESS9038 module: it's been unavailable for quite some time, at the beginning of June I emailed Garry about it, and he said it would be back at the end of August.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #381 of 963
The new firmware zip file has a tutorial in it.

Did your MP-D2 MKII come with the Arduino Board? You need one for flashing the Atmel chip in the MP-D2. Or you can flash a new Atmel chip and swap it with the Atmel in the MP-D2.

My MP-D2 didn't come with a new Atmel chip so I flashed the old one with the program XLoader. I am not sure if it erased the old flash first, it still worked. So I thought maybe I should try erase the old flash and I did that with the Arduino program. I believe when you run the Arduino program in order to erase the Atmel chip you just don't load a hex file. Then I flashed the Atmel chip with Xloader and the new hex file.

The Atmel chip has to go into the Arduino board the correct way or it wont read/write. I put the Atmel in the Arduino board the wrong way at first, just rotate the chip 180 degrees. When I took the Atmel out of the MP-D2 I marked the top with a red felt pen and I believe the top of the Atmel goes to the middle of the Arduino board.
Thanks, I shall order the new USB Board and will ask to send me the Arduino Board as well.

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #382 of 963
How will the tube sound be affected if any at all if i were to run mp-d2 into a integrated amp and then to my passive speakers?

Most likely no more than with any other source you are currently using. The MP-D2 may be slightly quieter using balanced inputs if your integrated has them. There is also impedance matching, but that might be a non issue. I am not really an expert on the impedance thing, maybe someone else can chime in. For a time I used the MP-D2 into a Simaudio i7 integrated. I cant give you much reference because I believe that's all I had when I purchased the MP-D2. I did try the MP-D2 on its own with the preamp feature and cant say that I noticed any significant sonic differences.

Oct 23, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #384 of 963
Appreciate the input Darcman and lukas. I dont have the Dac with me now yet (deposit placed but waiting on restock). I will be running it straight into active speakers for now but am thinking of changing into passive in the future. So here i am thinking, who runs a tube dac into a tube amp? or should i go with a solid state amp like you did.

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #385 of 963
Appreciate the input Darcman and lukas. I dont have the Dac with me now yet (deposit placed but waiting on restock). I will be running it straight into active speakers for now but am thinking of changing into passive in the future. So here i am thinking, who runs a tube dac into a tube amp? or should i go with a solid state amp like you did.

I am using mine with a pair of SS monos by Odyssey using that gorgeous bank of Symphonic Line caps. I use NOS tubes that just destroy the stock ones and I'm currently listening to the finest system I've ever owned. And I'm not a kid anymore. I've always enjoyed the sound of tube pre and SS amps. In this system I'm using a tubed Don Sachs all in pre that he built with all the extra goodies. Love it.

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #386 of 963
Now I run the MP-D2 via balanced into a Wyred4Sound STP-SE pre and balanced out to 2 Red Dragon S500 amps. Tube preamps to SS amps is a popular configuration that many enjoy. I am happy with my setup, but I would like try a tube preamp someday. When you get the MP-D2 try some NOS tubes, it makes a huge difference.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #387 of 963
I am using mine with a pair of SS monos by Odyssey using that gorgeous bank of Symphonic Line caps. I use NOS tubes that just destroy the stock ones and I'm currently listening to the finest system I've ever owned. And I'm not a kid anymore. I've always enjoyed the sound of tube pre and SS amps. In this system I'm using a tubed Don Sachs all in pre that he built with all the extra goodies. Love it.

I see, so youre running the mp-d2 ->Don Sachsould -> Odyssey, does running a tube dac into tube preamp improves the tubey sound? Excuse my ignorance, i have no idea if running tubes into tubes would be better or counterproductive. Can the mp-d2 be used as sort of a pre-amp into an amp.

Now I run the MP-D2 via balanced into a Wyred4Sound STP-SE pre and balanced out to 2 Red Dragon S500 amps. Tube preamps to SS amps is a popular configuration that many enjoy. I am happy with my setup, but I would like try a tube preamp someday. When you get the MP-D2 try some NOS tubes, it makes a huge difference.

Yeah man! Im so pumped, i got myself a pair of Siemens e88c 1964 cant wait to try it out! Agreed, just saw a video on where tubes sound best in a system, it says that tubes are best at the front input(Pre-amp), so now the question, does tube dac counts as front input haha.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #388 of 963
@renren234 I believe Gary is revamping/tweaking the MP-D2 MKIII board a bit, so you will probably get the updated one. Try a NOS rectifier tube too. I tried a 1950 something Bendix, although it was built like a brick house I didn't like it as much as the GZ34. I tried a 1959 Siemens GZ34 F33, then a 1959 Amperex GZ34 F32. The Amperex is a little more forward, I have been using it for more than a year. Anyways the rectifier made a huge difference too. You probably know the metal base GZ34 are supposed to be the best, also the most expensive too.

Did you order the MP-D2 with the ESS Sabre or AKM modules? I got mine with the ES9038, but many prefer the AK4497. The output capacitors make a big difference also. I eventually got 4 Mundorf SGO. The Jupiter coppers are supposed to be really really good. I did the upgrades mostly one at a time and everyone made an improvement.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #389 of 963
@renren234 I believe Gary is revamping/tweaking the MP-D2 MKIII board a bit, so you will probably get the updated one. Try a NOS rectifier tube too. I tried a 1950 something Bendix, although it was built like a brick house I didn't like it as much as the GZ34. I tried a 1959 Siemens GZ34 F33, then a 1959 Amperex GZ34 F32. The Amperex is a little more forward, I have been using it for more than a year. Anyways the rectifier made a huge difference too. You probably know the metal base GZ34 are supposed to be the best, also the most expensive too.

Did you order the MP-D2 with the ESS Sabre or AKM modules? I got mine with the ES9038, but many prefer the AK4497. The output capacitors make a big difference also. I eventually got 4 Mundorf SGO. The Jupiter coppers are supposed to be really really good. I did the upgrades mostly one at a time and everyone made an improvement.

haha, a step ahead of you. I got the NOS Siemens GZ34 without the metal base tho not sure which year it is. Interesting, will definitely roll some other rectifier, maybe not the Amperax cause forward sounding isn't my thing.

I ordered the AKM4490, am thinking of getting a separate module for ESS PRO. I will be running RCA into an amp next time so maybe a pair of Jupiter. I am looking up on an amp to pair with the mp-d2, should I just go with RCA out or take advantage of the balanced XLR. There's also the complication of getting matching quad tubes and caps(do I need to match caps?) if I were to go balanced. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Oct 24, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #390 of 963
haha, a step ahead of you. I got the NOS Siemens GZ34 without the metal base tho not sure which year it is. Interesting, will definitely roll some other rectifier, maybe not the Amperax cause forward sounding isn't my thing.

I ordered the AKM4490, am thinking of getting a separate module for ESS PRO. I will be running RCA into an amp next time so maybe a pair of Jupiter. I am looking up on an amp to pair with the mp-d2, should I just go with RCA out or take advantage of the balanced XLR. There's also the complication of getting matching quad tubes and caps(do I need to match caps?) if I were to go balanced. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I guess it is just a preference thing for ESS9038 vs AK4497. I have read where the 4497 is supposed to be quite a step up over the 4490. You can at least get a feel for the 4490 then see what the other chipsets bring to the table. Like I was saying every upgrade brought an improvement to the point where a fully loaded MP-D2 is substantially more than a stock bare bones one.

I never bought matched output tubes. I just bought a quad of 1964 Philips PCC88 same date codes and they sound excellent. I never got the 4 Mundorf SGO matched either, I guess I could have it wasn't that much more for the matching service. Gary uses the Mundorf SGO and they are supposed to have quite a soundstage depth to them and I do like that, so that's why I went for SGO. I wasn't sure what to expect with the output cap upgrade. I honestly giggled and thought wow does that ever sound good. So ya with the different upgrades you really take the MP-D2 to an entirely different level.

Well if you use the preamp section of the MP-D2 it only has single ended outputs. At least that's how the MKII is and the MKIII is probably the same. Single ended RCA vs Balanced XLR...with some systems or preamps there may not be much of a difference. Some preamps really excel with balanced connections. With my system and preamp balanced xlr connections definitely have a lower noise floor. With the lower noise floor music naturally flows and sounds better coming from the blacker quieter background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back