music preference seem to skew impressions
Oct 29, 2009 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

adrift

500+ Head-Fier
Something I've been becoming more aware of while reading this forum is that so many voiced impressions people have about certain cans, amps, sources, etc. are very often based on the listeners music preferences. I've seen some, what seems to me, very contradictory statements about how a certain headphone will sound only to discover later that one individual listens mostly to progressive metal and the other guy listens to dub and techno. Its really amazing to me how this can skew someones impressions about a piece of gear. Recent threads that had me really thinking about this was the mixed impressions people have about the bass in the cheaper Grados, and mixed opinions about tube vs. solid state amps for HD650s. There are some very strong opinions about these things, and often contradictory opinions are both correct in their own way. I'm really beginning to understand the advice I've read around the forum to get opinions from folks who listen to similar music as you do. It really makes a huge money making difference it seems.

It probably doesn't help that the forum leans towards a few very predominant music genres which seem to include progressive, metal, and classical (actually an acquaintance of mine on another music forum was ribbing me about Yes and Rush when mentioning high-end audio enthusiasts). This is sometimes tough for me cause besides classical (I only really care for baroque and early classical) these aren't genres I like... at all.

That's it. Just thought I'd post some observations.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It probably doesn't help that the forum leans towards a few very predominant music genres which seem to include progressive, metal, and classical (actually an acquaintance of mine on another music forum was ribbing me about Yes and Rush when mentioning high-end audio enthusiasts). This is sometimes tough for me cause besides classical (I only really care for baroque and early classical) these aren't genres I like... at all.

i pretty much disagree with this. there are tons of fans of electronic, jazz, classic rock, punk, folk... in fact, i'd say many, many members are musical omnivores. i know i am.

as far as musical impressions, it really helps to know what people are listening to when they are assessing their kit. it also helps to try to read an aggregate of impressions, not just a single review or comment.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i pretty much disagree with this. there are tons of fans of electronic, jazz, classic rock, punk, folk... in fact, i'd say many, many members are musical omnivores. i know i am.

With over 4,000 posts I suppose you would know, but in the short time I've been here I have noticed certain patterns especially regarding polls and discussions about bands. I suppose I could throw in certain styles of jazz and indie rock as well.

Quote:

as far as musical impressions, it really helps to know what people are listening to when they are assessing their kit. it also helps to try to read an aggregate of impressions, not just a single review or comment.

Yep, this is something I've begun to pay attention to. I think quite a few people don't from the start and sort of regret it later on.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something I've been becoming more aware of while reading this forum is that so many voiced impressions people have about certain cans, amps, sources, etc. are very often based on the listeners music preferences. I've seen some, what seems to me, very contradictory statements about how a certain headphone will sound only to discover later that one individual listens mostly to progressive metal and the other guy listens to dub and techno. Its really amazing to me how this can skew someones impressions about a piece of gear. Recent threads that had me really thinking about this was the mixed impressions people have about the bass in the cheaper Grados, and mixed opinions about tube vs. solid state amps for HD650s. There are some very strong opinions about these things, and often contradictory opinions are both correct in their own way. I'm really beginning to understand the advice I've read around the forum to get opinions from folks who listen to similar music as you do. It really makes a huge money making difference it seems.

That's it. Just thought I'd post some observations.
smily_headphones1.gif

Totally disagree as well. Almost every single member I have met here loves all types of music.

I usually listen to golden era recordings but I have it all from Abba to ZZ Top. From English to French to Spanish to some other language. Female, Male, Neutered Male. I like them all.
biggrin.gif
My demo discs usually contain something from all genres.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally disagree as well. Almost every single member I have met here loves all types of music.

I usually listen to golden era recordings but I have it all from Abba to ZZ Top. From English to French to Spanish to some other language. Female, Male, Neutered Male. I like them all.
biggrin.gif
My demo discs usually contain something from all genres.

fair nuff. i stand corrected.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 33
it helps to know what music people are listening to just as it helps to know what source and amp are being used. it's all part of the equation.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it helps to know what music people are listening to just as it helps to know what source and amp are being used. it's all part of the equation.

Yep. I never really realized how much so. I wonder how many flame wars could be avoided with that in mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 33
Even though most of us are musical omnivores, I'm pretty sure that everyone of us still have a genre which one listens the most. So yes, headphone gear one builds might be more dedicated that genre than others. This is atleast true for me.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 33
I'd go to say that being an audiophile encourages you to try out new music. It did a pretty good job on me, I went from listening just one or two types of electronic to way to many kinds of electronic as well as jazz, rock, metal, and classical.

All good stuff, too.
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 33
Agreed. There's not enough listeners of other kinds of music out there like Barbara Streisand, Barry Manilow, Pavarotti, etc... It's always jazz, rock and classical.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 33
There is definitely something to the OP. As vcoheda states, musical preferences should definitely be declared when a review is written. Some people are reluctant to do so though, even when asked.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 33
I'm with the OP for the most part, music preferences are most critical and most often forgotten. Someone wrote that they found people who like similar music to them and went by their gear impressions with great results. To give a common example, shop demo music is often geared towards what sounds great with the headphones being sold for this reason.

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #14 of 33
It is important to consider musical tastes when reading impressions. Like the others here, I'm also an omnivore. I don't listen to much rap, metal commercial pop, or commercial country, but everything else is fair game.

When it comes to gear preference, I mostly notice a divide between electronic and acoustic music. Those who predominately listen to acoustic forms of music have a different set of tastesfrom those who listen to electronically amplified or created music.

Further, gear tends to break down along those lines, too. Something that does vocals particularly well usually won't serve up deep techno beats and vice versa.

There are - of course - exceptions, however, this is one of the few fairly consistent divisions I've noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back