music preference seem to skew impressions
Nov 2, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #31 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a feeling that wouldn't go over well. What I say never translates over to writing very well because there's no inflection. I'm saying that you'd expect our perception about the differences between the two phones to be the same, despite our completely opposite preferences in music, since the differences between the two 'phones is simply relative, like two signals read on two different styles of output. However, I would argue that that's bogus anyway since, like you say, the way we interpret the music (in my opinion, it's more important how we physically interpret the sound since everyone's ears are physically different) is more important. That's my argument.

So, saying that different musical styles affect the way we interpret sound, in my opinion, is an invalid argument, although saying different musical styles affect how we interpret music is obviously true.

Okay. I think I know what you're saying now, and I believe maybe you were taking my OP hyper-literally. You're correct to say that different musical styles do not truly affect the way we interpret sound. It might be more true to say that one's preference for certain musical styles simply shapes that person's perception about the prominence of certain qualities found in a particular piece of equipment. (do I get a star for the most p's in one sentence
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:

And IMO, this is basically an opinion board on sound, and music should be a background discussion (hence why we only have a small "music" forum). I often use it to help describe what I'm hearing, but it doesn't change the fact that I and everyone else are communicating their opinions about the sound of the device or headphone.

ok.

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #32 of 33
I really don't understand the genre specific types of headphones. I've never felt a pair of headphones was good with a certain kind of music, and not others. I think it's because I like very well balanced cans for any music, and I would guess that the genre specific phones comes from getting headphones that are unbalanced in a way that highlights certain parts of the spectrum, which sounds good for some things but not others.

I can listen to my sextetts with vocals to classic rock to eletronic to jazz to folk. Everything is gorgeous.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #33 of 33
Try some classical with an AT woody or singer/songwriter with a DT770, then you learn that not every can is able to handle every genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back