Muse: The Resistance (5th album)
Sep 12, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #47 of 94
Ive had it about 4 days. It was sold early in Australia you should have it! Anyway Exogenesis is fantastic

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #49 of 94
At first it takes a bit to get used to, the sound if very different. But it grows on you to where I cant get it out of my head like in the shower randomly in the morning. I hope the LP version has better dynamics though, the CD sounds excellent but I KNOW it could sound better especially on the orchestral stuff.

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #51 of 94
I must be the only one that isn't impressed by their latest offering. Maybe it's partially because I've been listening to a lot of new artists lately, but right now I'm on the Exogenesis Symphony tracks once more, wondering if eventually I'll "get" this album.

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #52 of 94
For some reason this album has made me start to dislike Muse. To me a lot of the songs on this newest album sound like a mixture of their old songs. Not inspired by old songs, but more like they took riffs they'd used before and mixed and matched different elements of old songs.

Maybe it's just me...I find it very evident with the singing too. It sounds way too familiar.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #53 of 94
Yes I had the same feeling, however if you listen they seem to have made an album to strictly follow a 1984 movie or so with muse feel. But after a few spins I like it better and it just sticks. Might not be a masterpiece of creativity and originality for them, but it is a great disc nonetheless. Not every album can top the previous in terms of artistic greatness. Sometimes its just a good fun album with some change thrown in there. Plus it helps new fans get into it, with them having a headlining tour coming up.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #54 of 94
I guess you're right...I just had higher hopes blah. Oh well I found me a really cool trip-hop artist (Wax Tailor) who stole my attention from Muse. :p

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #55 of 94
Being a huge Origin of Symmetry fan myself, I find this album great. I dislike Black Holes & Revelations.

No, I do not see any old traces of Muse in this album... quite a change actually. The only songs that do sound sort of 'Musey' are Unnatural Selection & MK Ultra, but they both have that 'new muse' spin on it.

Sounds great, up there with Origin of Symmetry with me. A lot of people just don't like the change, and stick on Origin far too much :p

People stuck on old muse: Listen to MK Ultra. Eargasm.

Exogenesis is quite great too, the best thing Muse has ever done.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #56 of 94
I've listened to it only three times and couldn't stop thinking of A Night at the Opera. Muse have gone full Queen, which is fine with me. I love Queen. Yet Bellamy at the basest level, seems to lack the common touch of Mercury the romantic.

Eh, I better hold off on anything else until a few more clicks. It's a nice chewy album, good for a comfortable chair and one's favorite adult beverage.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #57 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason this album has made me start to dislike Muse. To me a lot of the songs on this newest album sound like a mixture of their old songs. Not inspired by old songs, but more like they took riffs they'd used before and mixed and matched different elements of old songs.

Maybe it's just me...I find it very evident with the singing too. It sounds way too familiar.

My daughter is the ultimate Muse fan. I listened to their music and thought: "Yes, these guys are very good. Quite talented. Very theatrical (which I like), sort of ala Queen, but much darker. So I decided to really listen to them. After a couple albums, I started feeling that even though they're an excellent band, they're really sort of a one-trick pony and much of their music sounds the same -- probably due to Matthew Bellamy's vocal stylings which are tremendous, but tend to be somewhat repetitious.

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #58 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened to it only three times and couldn't stop thinking of A Night at the Opera. Muse have gone full Queen, which is fine with me. I love Queen. Yet Bellamy at the basest level, seems to lack the common touch of Mercury the romantic.

Eh, I better hold off on anything else until a few more clicks. It's a nice chewy album, good for a comfortable chair and one's favorite adult beverage.

but what if one is to young to have a favorite adult beverage?

okay, well I just finished listening to this album, and WOW... this is pretty much the only thing by muse that I have really listened too, and I really like it(so much that the rest of their albums just got onto a must listen to list).

I'm the kind of person who listens to a lot of stuff, and likes a lot stuff. How ever the majority of listening lately has been metal and a bit of hard rock, and so to be capativated by this really surpirsed me.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #59 of 94
I'm glad you liked it. As I said, I think they're very talented and put out good music!

Sep 17, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #60 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you liked it. As I said, I think they're very talented and put out good music!

Agreed.

Black Holes & Revelations was a very commercial album, this one takes a step back in that sense. I didn't like BH&R for different reasons though, it was just produced to crap, and I only like a handful of songs.

The Resistance, for me, continues the trend of loving every song on the album like the previous ones (Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry, Absolution).

The Resistance is a great, refreshing change.

Exogenesis is by far their best achievement to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back