Muse: The Resistance (5th album)
Oct 11, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #76 of 94
nsna.jpg

this reminds me of the game from THIS MOVIE

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #77 of 94
I'm a Muse fan since a year, and i really enjoyed all of there albums. But... i have been listening to the resistance, and the first time, i kinda liked it, but it isn't really special. i listened again and i missed something, i missed the 'Muse energy', the lines aren't 'clean', i'm waiting for the next album, hope it sounds a little better. =/

Oct 12, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #78 of 94
Great album, it's really big stylistic step forward for them. Gotta love the new progressive direction they've taken on. Fave tracks so far are "Undisclosed Desires", "United States of Eurasia", and the "Exogenesis" suite.

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #79 of 94
Very good album, kicks the iems out of my ears!

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #81 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening to this album a lot since its release. I think it is Muse's most accessible / easiest to swallow album, I dig a lot of it. That said, that isn't necessarily a good thing, I would have preferred to be challenged more, and for them to go farther 'out there' like they've been threatening... while I think Black Holes is harder to swallow, I admire it more because there are lots of ideas in it and at many points they go pretty far out there... when I listened to it I was wondering where the heck are muse going to go next? The Revelation is cute more than anything, has some great songs, but IMO the last three tracks are failures, they promise something huge and epic, but build up to nothing. Compare them to Megalomania on Origins, that is one of the hugest tracks ever and accomplishes it without any BS... these are good mood pieces but not nearly as strong as I think they're capable of.

This. Pretentious tracks are great when they accomplish something. Nothing was accomplished in this track other than doing something that would get them comments from people who think this is "audio bliss" or "way out there" (unfortunately, it appears to be here too). The album as a whole sounds like I am listening to queen - only it is less good.

1. Origin of Symmetry
2. Absolution
3. BH&R
4. Showbiz

Don't really care for the rest of their albums

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great album, it's really big stylistic step forward for them. Gotta love the new progressive direction they've taken on. Fave tracks so far are "Undisclosed Desires", "United States of Eurasia", and the "Exogenesis" suite.

They've been walking backwards since origin of symmetry. This is their furthest leap back to date.

Undisclosed desires is the only song I truly like on the album.

Oh well.

MrGreen out.

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #82 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They've been walking backwards since origin of symmetry. This is their furthest leap back to date.

Undisclosed desires is the only song I truly like on the album.

Oh well.

MrGreen out.

That's kind of ironic for you to like UD the most considering that's their most different song in comparison to OoS.

This is actually their most step forward. You clearly want an OoS2, but many of us don't. I'd much prefer a change.

Also, this is the most they've actually played homage to their old stuff. Have you heard Unnatural Selection & MK Ultra? They could fit on OOS/Abso.

BH&R was total garbage and their most commercial offering yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think if they wanted to sell more albums and conform they would do another OoS2.... the band is well aware that that's what the majority of fans want, but they still keep making the music they want to make instead, which I respect. It might not be everyone's cup of tea.

If this album didn't have Exogenesis, I'd rate OoS > TR > ABSO. Since it does, it goes TR > OOS > ABSO > SHOWBIZ >>>>>>>>>>>>>> BH&R for me.

Imo of course.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #83 of 94
I don't really want an OoS2, more rather I want another album of what I think "Muse" is. OoS and Absolution are great for that. Resistance is not.
I have heard all the tracks and I enjoy Undisclosed Desires most because of the texture in the chorus and how well it compliments the first two tracks (because IMO the rest of the album is a bit meh). I was going to mention unnatural selection, however it doesn't really belong on any of their albums. It is certainly more in their older style, however I just dont think it or MK Ultra are that good.

One of my biggest annoyances to date is albums that are just a collection of songs rather than an actual album. For me, this sounds like three albums spliced together (First three tracks, middle, Last three tracks).

Call be "Fearing Change", but I remember when Muse was an exciting new group with a distinctive sound. Now? Not so much; I feel like I've heard all of the albums before without even realising it.

Re: BH&R being their most commercial offering, in essence I agree (However if they didnt tack exogenesis onto the end of the resistance I would disagree), however it is a well constructed album compared to the resistance IMO. The tracks flow in from one another a lot better.

It's all well and good that they are producing music they want (if that is what they are really doing), however I do not have to like it. If I don't like it, I simply wont listen to it.

This CD goes straight to the lower-half of my cd collection for me. I was hoping for a top 10 album for 09 but apparently not

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #85 of 94
I guess I'm an old Muse fan of sort, MK Ultra is my favourite on this album. I often enjoy music by singing along, and Muse just hits the spot usually. Or used to. Oh well.

Exogenesis was a bit too way out of what I perceived Muse to do, but I don't mind at all. Good album overall. I'd put it just behind Absolution and OoS.

What's with the French anyway.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #86 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really want an OoS2, more rather I want another album of what I think "Muse" is. OoS and Absolution are great for that. Resistance is not.
I have heard all the tracks and I enjoy Undisclosed Desires most because of the texture in the chorus and how well it compliments the first two tracks (because IMO the rest of the album is a bit meh). I was going to mention unnatural selection, however it doesn't really belong on any of their albums. It is certainly more in their older style, however I just dont think it or MK Ultra are that good.

One of my biggest annoyances to date is albums that are just a collection of songs rather than an actual album. For me, this sounds like three albums spliced together (First three tracks, middle, Last three tracks).

Call be "Fearing Change", but I remember when Muse was an exciting new group with a distinctive sound. Now? Not so much; I feel like I've heard all of the albums before without even realising it.

Re: BH&R being their most commercial offering, in essence I agree (However if they didnt tack exogenesis onto the end of the resistance I would disagree), however it is a well constructed album compared to the resistance IMO. The tracks flow in from one another a lot better.

It's all well and good that they are producing music they want (if that is what they are really doing), however I do not have to like it. If I don't like it, I simply wont listen to it.

This CD goes straight to the lower-half of my cd collection for me. I was hoping for a top 10 album for 09 but apparently not

For your point on collection of songs - I agree, I think any offering with a distinct genre in mind would be better overall and stronger. But this is one of Muse's styles. It was apparent since OoS. OoS is just a collection of songs as well, when you really think about it. Absolution is the one that most closely follows the minimal in change throughout.

As for Muse sound, there really isn't a distinct Muse sound. It's just all over the place, and keeps going in that direction. I can see WHY they're doing this, their old stuff was all too similar. Being a musician myself, and playing their old stuff (Some Showbiz/b-sides + OOS/B-sides and part of Absolution) were all too very similar in some aspects. Mostly the arpeggios and structures. They've probably realized this and tried stretching the box more...

As for flow, I think TR is the most smartly sequenced album Muse have ever done. I think BH&R flows rather terribly imo... Invincible placed right before Assassin, and just it in general, doesn't flow too well. With the exception of HOodoo -> Knights of Cydonia. TR starts off glam-rock-ish with dancey vibes in it, to a full on dance vibe, to more uplifting 80's rock, to dark harder rock, then IBTY (?, this sticks out), and then to darker classical music. So, I think the only one that sticks out is IBTY, but if I had to place it somewhere, I think it'd be there as well... it just doesn't fit on the album at all.

And yes I can see it is not something you like, wasn't trying to change your thoughts, just giving my opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

@Lorentz - the middle french part in 'I Belong To You' is from a cover of some french opera.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #88 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drummer lives in France now and it's where they recorded. If that's what you were wondering.

Album was self produced in Matt's recording studio in Italy I think.... Not sure where it is, but I know it was in Matt's studio.

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #89 of 94
This album is really growing on me & is #1 in my current rotation. I'd go so far to say that it's now my favourite Muse album, I think mainly due to the bigger & more ambitious arrangments, whilst still keeping the urgency& pace of their traditional stuff. I am a bit of a prog geek though, so this should tick my boxes really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back