Muse: The Resistance (5th album)
Jun 24, 2009 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

Adreneline

100+ Head-Fier
UPDATE 03/08/09: SINGLE RELEASED & ANOTHER TRACK (non single)

Uprising: Click to listen

United States of Eurasia: Click to listen

Uprising sounds awesome, a hard(er) rock take on Goldfrapp or something. More serious.

United States of Eurasia is a 'tongue-in-cheek-' song, meant to be overblown with queen influences.

Both sound great, enjoy! Uprising is the first single.

00026211.jpg

Thought I should make this album since Muse's new album will be out in a few months (Sept. 14th).

Any Muse fans (hopefully not just from Guitar Hero :p)?

I've been a huge fan since Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry being a masterpiece and my favorite album.

The 5th album supposedly contains more piano pieces and a more "symphonic" song style. Not too much is known, but if you know Muse, you know this will be totally different from their other stuff.

Anyone else in the same boat anxiously anticipating this album? I hope it doesn't have sub par quality like Black Holes did.

Hopefully there's enough Muse fans around here to deserve it's own thread..
smily_headphones1.gif

UPDATE: July 4th/2009 - RESISTANCE TRACK LIST

Confirmed by Matt Bellamy to be influenced/follow the story of "1984" by George Orwell.

The Resistance

1. Uprising
2. Resistance
3. Undisclosed Desires
4. United States of Eurasia + Collateral Damage (b-side?)
5. Guiding Light
6. Unnatural Selection
7. Mk. Ultra
8. I Belong to You + Mon Coeur S'Ouvre A Ta Voix (My heart opens itself to your voice) (cover?)
9. Exogenesis : Symphony Part I (Overture)
10. Exogenesis : Symphony Part II (Cross Pollination)
11. Exogenesis : Symphony Part III (Redemption)

Jun 24, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 94
HUGE fan here, and yes, I'm eagerly anticipating the new release.

I understand why people think Black Holes was inferior to their other albums, but remember that a "bad" Muse album is still better than a "great" album from many, many other bands. Muse is one of the precious few bands to emerge in this century that actually brings something new to the table and will still "matter" in 20 years.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 94
I like Muse, I hate their albums production and SQ, but I still like the band since they make good music. Origin of Symmetry is my favourite, Absolution second, BHAOR is decent has some memorable songs. Lets hope that the new album doesn't get massacred like the other ones in the mastering department. I hear its going to be epic.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 94
Always make me a little warm inside to find some other Muse fans.

Yes, the Resistance will be epic!

Some slight news... Linkin Park wants to take Muse's best live band throne it seems...

(In the Resistance department, Chris Wolstenholme said it's done and they're off to party in New York and for mastering).

Quote:

Chester Bennington, from Linkin Park, has expressed his desire to take Muse's throne as the world's best live act. Linkin Park will be performing alongside Nine Inch Nails and Metallica at this year's Sonisphere Festival, Knebworth, 1-2 August.

nme.comChester Bennington said the he thinks Muse are currently the band to beat in the live arena, but he's confident that Linkin Park will be able to equal the Devon trio's high standards when they headline the Sonisphere festival on August 1.

"They're one of the best - if not the best - live performing bands in the world at the moment," he said about Muse, adding "We need to ****ing kick some ass."

Is it going to happen? I think definitely not.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Muse, I hate their albums production and SQ, but I still like the band since they make good music. Origin of Symmetry is my favourite, Absolution second, BHAOR is decent has some memorable songs. Lets hope that the new album doesn't get massacred like the other ones in the mastering department. I hear its going to be epic.

Yes totally. They're hardly listenable on my Lambda Pro's. I still love em' though.

Jun 26, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 94
New interview with Matt Bellamy about the new album!

Quote:

VIVA LA RESISTANCE!
WORDS: SAMANTHA CLODE

They sing about supermassive black holes, mix space-age riffery with western gunslingers (check the 'Knights Of Cydonia' clip) and inspire their very own sexy fan-literature, aka Muselash. Let's face it: MUSE are H.O.T. Frontman Matt Bellamy dropped jmag an email from a secret underground bunker (aka a recording studio in his hometown of Lake Como, Italy), where he's finalising touches alongside drummer Dominic Howard and bassist Chris Wolstenholme. Just what we can expect when the British trio drop their brand new record, The Resistance, due out in September? Read on...

I'm betting the new Muse album will be stripped back, recorded on four-tracks with a mix like a muddy Ramones disc... just how wrong am I?

We've always been into using whatever is the latest technologies and recording methods. To be honest, we are not keen at all on deliberate lo-fi recording techniques, as this seems to be a tribute to the past. I'm more interested in the future. So the album sounds contemporary, not retro!

Can you talk us through what sort of studio set-up you guys have over there in Italy?

It's set up in a series of underground bunker type rooms, constructed inside a mountain with a lift required to get down to the rooms. It would be possible to survive a direct hit from a nuclear bomb if you were in the deepest room with a few cans of baked beans and a gas mask. We don't have any large live rooms, just lots of small rooms, so, for example, we have one room full of guitar amps, one room full of bass rigs, one room full of tinned food, etc... with some windows connecting some of the rooms.

What are some of the studio tricks you've learnt from making Showbiz to Black Holes And Revelations? What have you learnt not to do to avoid studio madness?

To avoid madness we have learned to get on with it and not dwell over one particular aspect for too long. We actually did go mad when working on Black Holes... as sometimes we spent days doing things that should have taken minutes. A fast flow of ideas "getting to tape" is more important than technical perfection.

What's the ethos to production and mixing this time 'round - who are you working with?

Our general approach to production is that anything goes. Also, musicians tend to make the best producers as they're able to audio-visualise precisely how to solve a problem. This is why we're self-producing; in a way we've always self produced since the first album. We are working with Adrian Bushby, who is a great engineer and we are currently mixing with Spike Stent, which [sic] who is making things sound fresh, fat and aggro.

Does winning "Sexiest Male" at the NME Awards means you're only gonna write about being a sex symbol now? Or are there other themes popping up on new tracks?

Not sure what happened there - I think some of our hardcore messageboard fans ganged up on the NME voting website to wind me up! The album contains the usual mix of song themes, from desire for political change to love songs to songs about bankers hanging from lampposts.

We're told the new record will be "orchestral". Which means what, exactly? Church organs and batons, or...

There is only really one track (in 3 x 4 minute sections) at the end of the album, which could be called symphonic due to presence of an orchestra throughout. The church organ is on one of the "normal" songs.

There are 120 pages of speculation on the Muse messageboard about the new record (including photos of llamas). How do you feel about so much speculation? Does it put any pressure on, or could you really not give a toss?

Not sure how they found out that llama toenails are back after a long hiatus. We used them on Origin Of Symmetry, but they are back with a vengeance on this album. It doesn't put on pressure - it's nice to know people are interested!

Does the bolded above possibly mean that they realize their recordings suck and they will be having a great recording this time!?!?

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does the bolded above possibly mean that they realize their recordings suck and they will be having a great recording this time!?!?

That would be toally awesome.

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't get that impression at all from it. That quotation merely indicates that the new album will used all sorts of moderns instrumentation and recording equipment but it says nothing about compression and sound quality.

After all, let's not forget that Black Holes & Revelations was a very contemporary, forward-thinking record; it was just absolutely destroyed by LOUDNESS. I don't foresee the new album being any different in that regard (although I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong). Being at the forefront of sound recording technology does not at all indicate that sound quality will be good. Plenty of lo-fi, retro sounding records have fantastic sound quality while plenty of technology advanced music sounds terrible from an audiophile standpoint.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 94
I like Muse. Saw them a few years ago and they put on a great live show. Very talented musicians and performers. I can see why they won a few Brit Awards for best live act.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #15 of 94
I can't wait. They seem to get better with every album. I thought Black Holes... was a masterpiece, and my second favorite is Absolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back