Muse: The Resistance (5th album)
Jul 4, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #16 of 94
Tracklist was fully released yesterday. It sounds awesome, but we have to wait to hear the actual songs. Three part symphony at the end sounds mind bogglingly sweet.

Confirmed by Matt Bellamy to be influenced/follow the story of "1984" by George Orwell.

The Resistance

1. Uprising
2. Resistance
3. Undisclosed Desires
4. United States of Eurasia + Collateral Damage (b-side?)
5. Guiding Light
6. Unnatural Selection
7. Mk. Ultra
8. I Belong to You + Mon Coeur S'Ouvre A Ta Voix (My heart opens itself to your voice) (cover?)
9. Exogenesis : Symphony Part I (Overture)
10. Exogenesis : Symphony Part II (Cross Pollination)
11. Exogenesis : Symphony Part III (Redemption

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #17 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh, rock is one thing, but orchestral and compression would be extra bad.

I know they have bad mastering, but I don't think Muse really care. They got in a band to play live, and their live shows far exceed their studio recordings, which, I can't say for many bands.

It's a shame, but it is the truth. This might be why the mastering isn't that great. Maybe they will take it into more consideration with the "symphonic monster" at the end of the album.

Jul 5, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #18 of 94
Everyone should take it into account. It can sound great without heavy loudness, just let US turn up the volume thanks.

I am eagerly awaiting this album nonetheless and let's hope for magic!

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #19 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IThey got in a band to play live, and their live shows far exceed their studio recordings.

Their live discs too. HAARP sounded pretty good; maybe just because the bar has been set so low. I'll never get over it, just like Rush fans and Vapor Trails.

Anyway, that track list has me seriously pumped for a new MUSE album. I'll probably play it out regardless of how it sounds. If Exogenesis were to contain half the goodness of Knights of Cydonia, it'll be my favorite track for a month.

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #20 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their live discs too. HAARP sounded pretty good; maybe just because the bar has been set so low. I'll never get over it, just like Rush fans and Vapor Trails.

Anyway, that track list has me seriously pumped for a new MUSE album. I'll probably play it out regardless of how it sounds. If Exogenesis were to contain half the goodness of Knights of Cydonia, it'll be my favorite track for a month.

Apparently, to quote Bellamy, it'll be nothing like Black Holes - in the sense of "strageneness."

He said the 'strangest' song on black holes is CLOSE to the 'normalest song' on the new album in weirdness factor. Meaning, this album is going to be completely different/apparently strange.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #21 of 94
New review is out from a french magazine... the translations aren't perfect, but it's a review for each individual song! They complained about security (Warner up to their usual bull) and the fact they didn't have much time for a more DETAILED review.

Quote:

01. « Uprising » 5 :02

Matt bellamy's voice is deeper than usual. In terms of lyrics, its the usual Muse: conspiracies, apocalypse, he announces a gathering, speaks of victory and that "they will not control us." The sound, still very dense and heavy is accompanied by passages of synths. The overall structure is rather straightforward.

02. « Resistance » 5 :46

Opening in Piano, cavalcade of drums. You could swear that Freddi Mercury participated in the chorus

03. « Undisclosed Desires » 3 :56

A sound very reminiscent of Depeche Mode hovers over this piece without guitars but with vocoder laced vocals

04. « United States Of Eurasia » (+ Collateral Damage) 5 :47

Bohemian Rapsody (Queen) + Lawrence of Arabie (la score of Maurice Jarre)+ Chopin =A long cinémato-classic-rock trip

Matt Bellamyhas returned to his falsetto. The song ends on a sound of a plane taking off (Space ship? Missile taking off?)

05. « Guiding Light » 4 :13

Return of the guitar solo. One of the defining features of the pompous style of Muse

06. « Unnatural Selection »

Opens with Church Organs before the arrical of the drums and the powerful guitars. An epic and lyrical song.

07. « MK Ultra »

Lots of electronics and bodybuilder like riffs. (meaning very very powerful?)

08. « I Belong To You » (+ Mon Coeur S'ouvre A Ta Voix)

A title borrowed from the opera Samson and Dalila. A surprising delayed rythm. Clarinette arrives at the end of the song. Matt sings a few verses in French...very hard to understand.

09. “Exogenesis: Symphony Part I” (Overture)

The voice of Matt Bellamy recalls that many of Tom Yorke. This symphony rise to almost the whim of a star by passionate romantic composers: Chopin, Liszt …

10. “Exogenesis: Symphony Part II” (Cross Pollination)

The group works on the visual. It is about a man defying the masses. I asked Dominic to write the name of the English artist who bosse dessus: La Bocca. Nothing on Google. In contrast: LaBoca, it seems paste.

11. “Exogenesis: Symphony Part III” (Redemption)

Inspirational Matthew Bellamy told me about the Queen of 1984, George Orwell, a big book: The Grand chessboard of American political scientist Zbigniew Brzeninski, the opera Samson et Dalila and other things.

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #22 of 94
Any idea on running time yet? Im hoping it's around an hour or so. It seems odd theres only track times for hald the songs in the "review" above.

With this, the new Mark Knopfler album and the Beatles Box set, I'll be having a busy week in early september
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #23 of 94
New teaser out. Part 1/6. They are doing some awesome viral marketing to get the parts unlocked.

This segment is from "United States of Eurasia", I think. That's what people are saying, however Muse confirmed that the first single is Uprising.

Muse — PROJECT EURASIA

Click the Grey box to listen to the clip.

Next one is in Berlin! Whoever lives there go and get the key so we can get segment two!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #24 of 94
Love Muse, they hold the spot of 2nd best performance that I've ever seen live (Daft Punk holds #1.) Their Lollapalooza performance back in 2007 in the pouring rain was spectacular.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #25 of 94
Update! Check first post to find links to first single & another song released.

Audio quality is better than Black Holes & Revelations... not sure how those Youtube vids will sound, but the MP3s sound awesome.

"United States of Eurasia" has some Chopin at the end
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #28 of 94
Im a little bit nervous, I have a ALAC rip from a friend who works at a radio station of Eurasia and Uprising, but I hear noticeable artifacts and some high freq clipping, as if it was a mp3 compression. Maybe he didn't rip it right, but I really hope that the album sounds cleaner than this, has got me a little bit worried, still sounds amazing but there is a fuzzy edge to the music. I did not notice it on the mp3 versions or these alac versions on my ipod, only on the Buffalo32s/B22 with my Denon D7000 and HF2s.

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #29 of 94
From what I've managed to hear on the radio so far, "drastically different" is translating to "tightly streamlined, derivative and bland". The three tracks I've heard do seem to have some signature breakouts/bridges, but it's so radio friendly it almost hurts.

I hope this isn't par for the course, because Black Holes (despite hearing that most Muse fans seem to dislike this album(???)) made these tracks sound like a musical afterbirth nurtured by dollar signs.

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #30 of 94
Hmm well they seem confident it sounds ok.. why else release it on double heavyweight vinyl?

Muse / Warner Bros. Records Store

Unless it's just for money :/

Mind you.. $100 for the complete set, with Double Vinyl, USB stick Audio DVD & CD is a bit much for me.

Hmm i note they say Audio DVD, and not DVD Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back