Multipurpose headphones for 100-200$
Dec 4, 2010 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dorland

New Head-Fier
A couple of days ago I decided to get some decent headphones. Up until now I have never owned anything worth more than 30-40$, most of them in-ear phones. So I started reading reviews, and looking through what Amazon had to offer, and I got more confused than I was when I started :). So I started looking through this forum, and decided to ask for some oppinions and advice.

I will mostly be using them through my computer for games, movies, and music(rock+pop, occasionally classical), in about equal measures. I will also be using them at work through a laptop, but primary use will be at home. 
I understand that my computer most likely won't be able to provide enough power for the headphones, it only has onboard audio (VIA VT1708S Support 8-Channel High Definition Audio). Currently my sound is running through a JVC RX-5032, I dunno if it's any good, bought it 10 years ago just before I started highschool. But I could plug the phones into it instead of directly into my pc. Would it be just as good as a dedicated headphone amp like a fiio E9? I would rather spend all my money on phones instead of phones+amp.

I looked through threads and reviews here, and at amazon, and found these phones:

AKG K271MKII 190$
Audio Technica ATH-A700 112$
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 145$
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80  199$
Denon AH-D1100 150$
Denon AHD2000 232$
JVC HARX900 100$
Shure SRH750 140$  

Sennheiser HD 595 150$

Sennheiser PC 350 150$

I would like some decent bass, it makes games more fun, so I was thinking about the DT 770/80 or denon, even though my budget only was 100-150$ when I started. What would you consider the best multi-purpose phones for the price? And can they be used without an amp at all. Sound leakage is also a concern, so as not to disturb my family and co-workers.

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 7
If you want good bass I'd recommend the M50s, DT770 Pro 80s, either of the Denons, or the 750DJs.

The Pro 80s or D2000s will probably need some additional amplification.

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 7
^^ What he said.
Broken record time... M50's, great all-rounders.

good luck.

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 7
I ended up buying the Denon AH-D1100, as I don't have money for additional amplification right now, and I've heard they have great bass.Then I will buy a more neutral next time I have money. I avoided the M50's as they are not present in my country, so would be a problem in case of warranty and repair issues.

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I ended up buying the Denon AH-D1100, as I don't have money for additional amplification right now, and I've heard they have great bass.Then I will buy a more neutral next time I have money. I avoided the M50's as they are not present in my country, so would be a problem in case of warranty and repair issues.

Great choice. These are my first $100+ headphones and I am loving it. Hopefully you are too. I'm happy to see a lot of people asking about about headphones with the D1100 as one of their choices and end up buying them. They are great headphones.

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Dorland,

I just registered when I saw this thread. I just ordered the ath-m50 on ebay for $108.95 free shipping brand new.

You can buy them from here for $109 free shipping but they are currently on back order: http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--AUTATHM50

I just wanted to show you where to get them cheaper. I'm currently using the AD700 and I love them. I can't wait to get the m50's.

edit: I see you didn't buy the m50's. MY bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back