Multi-IEM review v.1: 48 earphones compared
Mar 7, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #406 of 473
@Napi : Ive already tried gazillions of tips on both HJE and VB including sony hybrids (which need to be really stretched to fit VBs) and I dont like how those seem to choke off the soundstage a little (while still not absorbing the treble harshness that hurt my treble-sensitive ears without foam). I like standard UE-style tips, with a wide opening, and use the foam mod to tame the treble/higher-mids intensity/harshness. This seems to be the better option, at least for me.
Another interesting option was the vsonic olive-style foam tips with a rubber inner core from ebayer lionking. The ones with larger stem opening fit perfectly on both VBs and HJEs. However they change the sound sig pretty drastically, tightening the bass a LOT and absorbing a lot of treble as well, thus flattening the frequency response too much (to almost dull levels) for my tastes.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #407 of 473
I can't stand foamies with the HJE900s. They just kill the treble =[.

There auvio tips are really surprising me. I've had little time to A/B with the hybrids, but I'm mostly impressed at how they stay in my ear. As they only bring 3 sizes, the large was too large, and the medium was smaller than the good fitting tip with the hybrid, I thought they'd be prone to falling out. Yet, surprisingly, they stay in my ear better than the hybrids. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3983869

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #410 of 473
Lol here I am again, more questions XD

How would you say the iM590 compares to the Thunder? Particularly in terms of bass, smoothness, and sounstage? I would assume the iM590 are more neutral, the Thunders smoother, but I don't know how they compare soundstage-wise.

My best friends birthday is coming up next week, and I was set on buying the Thunder until I saw they were out of stock from amazon, and are only available for 58 bucks. Given that I'm already contributing a lot to get her an iPod nano(a collective gift among her friends), the cheaper the better lol. Seeing as she's not an audiophile (yet), I'd like something nice looking with a sound signature that will be pleasurable with a variety of genres(about 50% latin music:lots of acoustic instruments and guitars, 50% R&B, Pop, HipHop. Like, top100 music). Comfort is also important, as giving IEMs to people can always be risky business.

Much thanks in advance.

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #411 of 473
Hmm... the Thunders. I knew there was something I was forgetting about...

That's a good question, actually, because they are quite close in performance.

Anyway, for me the iM-590 is a very good rock phone. They are accurate, fast, energetic, and, like you said, quite neutral. They are also fairly airy-sounding and have a decent soundstage, unlike the Thunders. But there are a few things that may make them less friendly to a beginner. One is fit - those fused bi-flange tips have to be inserted just right or they will ruin the sound. Luckily there are 4 sizes instead of 3 but it still might take some fiddling to get the right fit. They are very comfy when inserted properly, though. Also, the cable is microphonic. That means over-the-ear or bust when walking around. The Thunders are friendlier in that respect.

Sound-wise the Thunders have a narrowish stage but more mid-bass and a smoother overall presentation. The treble is more crisp and the bass is more powerful. They are more colored than the Maximos. Definitely a very beginner-friendly signature. They are also shallow-insertion and less microphonic. Pretty easy to get a good fit with them.

On a slightly related note, how fashion-conscious is your friend?

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #412 of 473
I'm not sure if she's the morefashion conscious one, or I am XD, but certainly at least pretty fashion conscious. Though I haven't seen either in person, the silver cherry Thunders(or I guess I should call them TS01 now =P) certainly seem to look excellent, though it doesn't seem like the im590s fare too much worse.

Shallow insertion and easy fit definitely sound good. Seeing as girls generally have smaller canals, they seem to be more prone to IEM discomfort. I forgot the issue fo microphonics as well. Thanks =P

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #413 of 473
Yes, the thunders look good in person. The enviro-hippie packaging seems cheap-ish but I don't think it matters. Anyway, part of the reason I asked was this. Wasn't planning to post it today but I feel it might be topical.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #414 of 473
So I'm pretty much decided on getting a Thinksound, but just a curiosiy bout soundstage. Seeing as the only real IEMs I own are the HJE900, could you perhaps rank their soundstage against the iM590 and Thunders in terms of your own preferences and width/size/spaciousness or whatever other variables? Since you've heard the CZs, it would give me a good reference point.

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #415 of 473
For me the HJE900 has about average soundstage width but above-average depth and above-above-average imaging. Neither of the two cheapies can match the HJE900 in imaging or depth. The Maximos can match it in width/airiness and generally have a well-spaced sound. The Thunders just fall a bit flat all-around when it comes to that sort of thing, but they do have slightly better depth than the Maximos.

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #416 of 473
Gotcha. It echoes what I thought it would be, which is nice. They also can have surprising verticality on some tracks for me(misguided ghosts, paramore). I never thought I'd get a vertical soundstage from an IEM, but in some parts of that song it feels like I'm actually hearing the hands slide up and down the frets. When I'm using Graphicisms 5.1 Surround set-up(which I find great with some EQing on the the HJE900), it only becomes more apparent.

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #419 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Random question: Hey joker, you ever tried these: Amazon.com: SENTRYSAFE HEADPHONE,EARBUDS,WOODEN - "WOODIES" - HO470: Electronics Also, since you seem to be getting a whole lot of kanens, maybe you've tried the KM-92s? How are they for <$10?

Sorry, never tried those. I mentioned in another thread that they look like the Playaz N1, which have been rated very highly by several head-fiers, including james444. They may be worth a look.

As for Kanens, I do not have the KM-92. I am currently auditioning a KM-948, which is rather nice for the $5 it costs. Review coming soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubsdaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Q:Electronics reviewed in this thread is on sale for $5.99 shipped at Buy.com. Well worth it for the isolation and sound that competes very well with the Marshmallow.

Q:electronics Noise-isolating Ear Buds - 02605 - Buy.com

Good price. These are great disposable IEMs. work wonders for mowing the lawn. EQ the bass down a few notches and they can pump out surprisingly decent sound, too.

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #420 of 473
Well it seems that the playaz have too much bass, and that's the last thing I want. Also, I can't find them anywhere.

I guess I'll buy the kanens for myself. Just one thing though. I've seen them at houseofdap.com for 5$ more than they are at focalprice. But I heard if you order from focalprice they might come broken or they might not come at all. Where should I get them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back