Multi-IEM review v.1: 48 earphones compared
Mar 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #436 of 473
WOW! Awesome thread Ijokerl.

I may have to get some of these.

The Head-Direct (HiFiMan) REO seem to be an exceptional value.
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks a bunch.
beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #437 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by AhhHoNG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
argh, tied between MTPG , VB and atrios man. i am a basshead who dislike harshness in the higher frequency spectrum. The MTPG looks promising but it has too many mix reviews all over head fi
frown.gif
no chance to demo it man....Could you give the atrio a rough score so i can have a picture of where it stands among all your 48 IEMs? Thanks alot
redface.gif

I actually have started drafting the Atrio review. I gave them a 9/10 on SQ but really, it is a very unique earphone and difficult to place. I keep coming back to it again and again despite the fact that I like forward treble (which it definitely does not have). For me the Atrio is pretty much a spot-on in-ear adaptation of the M-Audio Q40 monitors and, to a lesser extent, the lower-end JVC HA-M750 in that they manage to have absolutely colorless sound despite the humongous bass. That means no warmth and no loss in mid-range or treble clarity due to the bass boost. They are quite dark due to their low-end frequency skew but not unpleasantly so. They aren't the fastest earphones nor are they very transparent at all (garbage in -> garbage out still applies though) but they are completely unfatiguing and convey a good deal of detail across the range.

The VB has been said to have a pretty upfront treble, though I haven't tried them myself to confirm. You may want to stay away from them regardless. The MTPGs are anything but harsh, really. The Atrios and the Turbines are two of the smoothest earphones I've owned. One difference is in fit. I can sleep (and have) in the Atrios. When inserted properly they are extremely unobtrustive. I use them with the stock bi-flanges or Shure Olives and can forget I'm wearing them either way. The front edges of the housing are a bit sharp but the Phonak PFEs have the same problem and they boast a "perfect fit". I wouldn't dream of lying down in the Turbines though I don't have any fit issues with them in terms of regular use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aabottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW! Awesome thread Ijokerl.

I may have to get some of these.

The Head-Direct (HiFiMan) REO seem to be an exceptional value.
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks a bunch.
beerchug.gif

Thanks! Sorry about your wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #439 of 473
wow, I have the re0's and thought the biflange tips were good but I just tried the single flange black tips (that came with them) and I find them even better! Could have sworn I tried them when I got the phones months ago but upon trying them again I definitely like them the best. Listening to a little Michael Jackson at the moment at they are just amazing canalphones. totally agree with your review, Joker

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #440 of 473
wow really thanks alot, i appreciate it. So out of the 48+ iems you owned, i can assume the MTGP and atrio are the bass king? The atrio are 180usd in my area and the MTGP are ard 250usd + shipping.Dam...

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #441 of 473
^Other users whose opinion I trust report that the VB trounce the atrios in every single aspect - bass, mids, treble, clarity, soundstage, etc. I personally won't be able to confirm this for at least a good month, until I get the VBs myself though.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #442 of 473
^
i will go jaben and try the vb soon again. I tried last time and dint like the isolation.Thanks.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #443 of 473
I have heard both and the VBs are better than the Atrios in most aspects. Isolation is decidedly better on the Atrios. The highs on the VBs can be rather harsh and bothering (but are said to smoothen out over time) whereas the Atrios have recessed highs, never bothering, but not too pleasing either.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #444 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, according to your review, the RE2 would be good for me because they aren't bass heavy like the marshmallows. Am I right?

After the marshmallows the RE2s will seem positively bass-anemic. I would not recommend making that jump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, I have the re0's and thought the biflange tips were good but I just tried the single flange black tips (that came with them) and I find them even better! Could have sworn I tried them when I got the phones months ago but upon trying them again I definitely like them the best. Listening to a little Michael Jackson at the moment at they are just amazing canalphones. totally agree with your review, Joker

Agreed, amazing canalphones for those who like their signature. For what they cost they are criminally good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AhhHoNG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow really thanks alot, i appreciate it. So out of the 48+ iems you owned, i can assume the MTGP and atrio are the bass king? The atrio are 180usd in my area and the MTGP are ard 250usd + shipping.Dam...

That really depends on what you are looking for in your bass. Out of all of the bass-heavy IEMs I have heard (yes, not the VBs) these two have the flattest responses to the lowest reaches (meaning least roll-off). They also carry large amounts of detail and texture at the low end. However, if you define bass by how much the low end stands out from the rest of the response, the more aggressive IEMs like the HJE900, Original Turbines, and Klipsch S4 win. The MTPG have one of the smoothest bass-midrange transitions out there. The Atrios can match the others on slam but they do it far more linearly. I guess I like the Atrios more than most people because of their lack of warmth. In comparison the MTPG are a bit warm and the HJE900 are blazing hot. But who knows, if I ever try the VBs maybe that will change.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #446 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you mean by "positively bass-anemic"...? = P

After using your Marshmellows the RE0 would seem to have almost no bass as compared to what your used to. This may cause you to be very unhappy with the final sound. Other IEM's will have a similar quantity of bass as the marshmellows while being much better in terms of quality, one of these IEM's may be a better fit for.

Sorry for jumping in to the existing conversation...

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #447 of 473
thanks dweaver, no need to apologize.

But that's exactly what I'm looking for. I've recently started to really hate the bass on these marshmallows, because the stuff I listen to (Beatles, Beach Boys, Turtles, Grass roots) sounds really boring with the bass overpowering everything. I've even done the kramer mod(half of it; I don't have foam because I like how bright it is)

i guess I'll save up for the RE0s now that I know how they sound. seems like the perfect IEM for me.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #448 of 473
Thanks, dweaver - that's exactly what I meant.

The RE2 are not balanced earphones, at least without a warm amp with bass boost. I agree that the Marshmallows have too much bass, but you would be trading the frying pan for the fire, so to speak, by switching to the RE2s. The RE0 is a far more balanced option and comes with my utmost recommendations
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #449 of 473
^It may not necessarily be the bass you hate so much as the midbass hump. When the frequency response is elevated around 80-100hz to an unnaturally high level it makes everything sound thick and veiled and "warm". If you bass thump when called for but don't like the warmth, then the RE0 probably also isn't for you, unless you just want something with less bass presence altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back