Multi-IEM review v.1: 48 earphones compared
Mar 5, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #376 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinobi00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woohoo! Getting my new HJes tomorrow. I can send out the headphone Friday. Pm details.

I take it you were one of the people getting filters replaced? Glad you like the HJE900 enough to give them a second shot
tongue.gif
. Pm'd also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankit255 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the Monster Turbine Pro Gold compare with the Sennheiser IE8?
Im choosing between these...

Sorry, I have only heard the IE8 briefly and am uncomfortable making any comparisons between it and the MTPG from a short audition. There was a IE8 vs MTPC comparison somewhere and from what I understand the MTPC and MTPG aren't all that different so you might want to try looking for that.

On a side note, I am currently using earphones with your name on them.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #378 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on second thought, i have better things to do with my cash. how much of an improvement are the M9s over the marshmallows?

"Improvement" is a hard thing to quantify. I think the M9 are better than the Marshmallows in every way. How much better is hard to say and depends largely on personal preference. For me the M9 are as good anything to be had for $20. The JVCs are a full step below.

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #379 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it you were one of the people getting filters replaced? Glad you like the HJE900 enough to give them a second shot
tongue.gif
. Pm'd also.

Sorry, I have only heard the IE8 briefly and am uncomfortable making any comparisons between it and the MTPG from a short audition. There was a IE8 vs MTPC comparison somewhere and from what I understand the MTPC and MTPG aren't all that different so you might want to try looking for that.

On a side note, I am currently using earphones with your name on them.

Lol, i never knew they had a brand with my name. How do they sound BTW?

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #380 of 473
that just means you absolutely have to buy them :p can't get a better sign to purchase something than that.

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #381 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by ankit255 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, i never knew they had a brand with my name. How do they sound BTW?

Quite good, actually. They have a pretty mainstream signature - big bass, smooth mids, tame treble, but they manage to sound plenty refined and balanced. From an enjoyability standpoint they are one of the better buys at the price point. They remind me a of the Nuforce NE-6. A bit less refined all-around but also less colored-sounding and more dynamic. I'm still not done running tests on them but those are my impressions so far. Are they worth the $50? If looks are a factor then it's an easy yes from me.

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #385 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, wait a second!!! You never reviewed the ath-ck6, how do they compare to the m9?

The CK6 has better balance and sounds a bit faster and more airy, but overall the M9 is the superior earphone. Clarity, extension, impact, smoothness, etc are just on another level with the M9.

Quote:

Originally Posted by winkyeye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the thickness of the HJE900's cable compare to that of the ATH-CK10?

The CK10 cable is a bit thicker and softer. It's also less plasticky-feeling. Here's a pic of the CK10 and HJE900 next to each other from my longer review:

athck10vsmonsterturbine.jpg

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #386 of 473
joker, did you happen to hear the hippo VB? If you did, could you compare them to the HJE900?
Edit: as an aside, how do the HJE900 fair with vocals and acoustic music?

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #387 of 473
^^I wanted to wait for more listening time before posting more impressions about the HJE900, but i have to comment after this question :

Foam-modded HJE900 with around 90 hours of burn-in sounds EXTREMELY similar to foam-modded hippo VBs with several hundreds hours of burn-in...
Pretty much the exact same mids and treble presentation (energy, positioning, and coloration-wise : same warm mids and brightish extended treble at the same distance from the listener), but HJE900 has very substancially more midbass and less sub-bass than VBs, bass also feels rolled off compared to VBs as it doesnt extend as low.
This lack of midbass hump and better bass extension might contribute to the fact that VBs soundstage also feels more spacious and 3-dimensional.
Besides better build quality, comfort, look and ergonomics (which count a lot), HJE900 do not feel like an upgrade AT ALL over hippo VBs so far (2 days of listening). And SQ-wise, they also dont feel like an upgrade over a painfully deeply inserted pr1pro to my ears.

I like (sometimes love) both VBs and HJE for acoustic instrumental music, although i far prefer the more linear bass presentation of the VBs (mostly boosted at the lower end only), which better 3D soundstage effect also is noticeable with some recordings. After HJE and eterna I can now affirm that I personally officially don't care for those distracting and music-altering midbass humps!
With vocals, it depends a lot on the recording. Both present them pretty much the exact same way (with foam mod). Vocals often feel just a little too laid-back in the mix, and sometimes lacking weight in the lower mids. Also both will equally highlight any preexisiting vocal sibilance in the recording, which can be painfully distracting at times, but again this is totally recording (and rip) dependent.
But sometimes vocals can also feel beautifully lush and warm......

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #388 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
joker, did you happen to hear the hippo VB? If you did, could you compare them to the HJE900?
Edit: as an aside, how do the HJE900 fair with vocals and acoustic music?

Sorry, never tried them myself.

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #389 of 473
@daouda I conclude from your impressions that prolonged burn in and/or foam modding must do wonders to the VBs. My borrowed VBs had about 40 hours on them and their upper mids and highs were considerably less detailed and refined than the HJE900's.

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #390 of 473
I would need to do more A/Bing of both without foam, but foamless HJE900 (i got them after tstarn burned them in for about 90hours), while much too bright for my tastes, didnt present the same ear-piercing harshness that I recall foamless VBs still bothered me with after 100hours of burn-in.
In other words, foamless 100hours burned-in VBs still would hurt my ears very fast (edit:even at low volume!) (while also sounding too bright), foamless 90hours burned-in HJE sounded much too bright but didnt pierce my ears like VBs did.
Foam modding VBs i recall immediately absorbed the spiky harshness while also reducing treble energy to more a balanced (to my ears) level, and now with extended burn-in, they are still too bright sounding without foam but not nearly as harsh as out of the box.
Im not sure i expressed myself clearly, hope it wasnt too confusing

EDIT: would definitely need more serious critical listening to comment about differences in details-retrieving ability, but I think the difference shouldnt be huge. For the moment I would rather tend to think that the lack of exagerated midbass of VBs makes it easier to pick-up details in the whole sonic range. Could be that the harsh highs of not-so-burned-in foamless VBs were responsible in the same way for the difficulty to pick up details. Also, there is the most probable chance that our ears and brains do not process incoming sound the same way, unless you are my long lost austrian twin brother! (to help figure this out : Im 31, born dec 5th 78.....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back