Multi Custom Flagship IEM Review 23/8/11 UERM Added
Aug 23, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #32 of 114
veryy nice review bro.. im currently looking for some custom iems and ur reviews has helped tremendously in my research 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #33 of 114

Quote:
Thanks for your review.  A few short comments:

JH16 Pros:  if for some reason the JH-sockets on your shells do not align perfectly with the connectors--you said the plugs don't go all the way in--have them serviced under warranty.  That's not the way it should be and once done, revise the scoring for that aspect appropriately

Reshelled JH13 Pros:  No reshelled customs should be used for any kind of objective comparative review.  IMHO and after conversations with Jerry Harvey reshelling may allow people to "save" a few hundred bucks but often at a risk of getting a sub optimized product, because of incorrect phase tuning by companies who do this.  Unfortunately, customers have no way of knowing the difference without a basis of comparison for an original pair custom-built and tuned for their ears.  I have no doubt many of them sound impressive enough--afterall there would not be a market for them if it wasn't the case--what I'm saying, however, is there is a considerable risk involved and a considerable chance what you get isn't quite the real thing.  If you want customs, my opinion is to bite the bullet and order one directly from the company who makes them, be it JHA, Westone or whatever.  Also, a demo pair with a universal tip does not give you the same level of performance as the real thing.  It's a demo, an approximation.  Even though the drivers and the crossover is the same, it is very, very hard to position the universal tip exactly in the optimal distance from your eardrums as the custom-shelled equivalent would enable you to do so on a consistent basis.  It is one of the reasons why no universal IEM can offer the same level of performance as a properly fitted pair of customs can.

ES5s:  I've never owned one of these, but the soft tip is a great idea, especially for vocalists who sing wearing them.  I would imaging it would be also more comfortable to wear them in general, although once your soft inner tissue of the ear canal has molded itself around the tip of the hard shell, it should be very comfortable to wear after an adjustment period, again, assuming proper fit.

I beg to differ.

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #35 of 114
I agree it's not that custom fit that all of a sudden gives you that increase in performance. If anything such a perfect fit mostly helps subbass regions. I will attribute their performance to the acoustics of the chamber and possibilities of more drivers. 

Looking forward to the Miracle review if that's bound to happen. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #36 of 114
I am a vocal lover as well and your review makes me want to get ES5 instead :frowning2:
Looking forward to your Miracle review as well since i've just ordered it few weeks ago.
I have to say that based on the UM universal demo the Miracle vocal presentation is laidback in comparison to a semi-universal unit of a JH13 so you might still pick ES5 as your go to unit.
I have a feeling that my wallet wouldn't like the outcome of this multi review so i better start saving up :)

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #37 of 114

Quote:
I agree it's not that custom fit that all of a sudden gives you that increase in performance. If anything such a perfect fit mostly helps subbass regions. I will attribute their performance to the acoustics of the chamber and possibilities of more drivers. 

Looking forward to the Miracle review if that's bound to happen. 

I'm curious why several people have stated the imaging is severely lacking in the UM products (well, at least in the miracle) when you compare a custom fit unit to a demo unit?

I will be listening to the entire UM lineup next month.

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #38 of 114
That's odd, imaging is usually related to speed and how the driver resolves each frequency, it shouldn't be affected in a universal fit but you never know I guess. 

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #40 of 114
Through the years I have owned ER6i, ER4p, SE530, UE Triple Fi 10 Pro, Westone 3, Westone 4, Ortofon EQ7, ATH CK100, Earsonics SM3. Recently, I also spent a good half of an hour to audition the FAD flagship which is priced similarly to the flagship customs these days. Not sure if the above means anything, but if it does, I don't think any of the universals above would rival my ES5 or UE18 Pro in any sense - not even close.

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #41 of 114
Through my short period of 4 years I've also owned quite a few IEMs.
UE triple fis, UE700s, IE8, W3s, W4s, Um3x, Um2x, Shure SE535, SE115, ER4P. 
And I also think that none of them can rival any of the custom IEMs i've reviewed. 

On a side note, does anyone know how to change the poll of this thread? hahah :p

Quote:
Through the years I have owned ER6i, ER4p, SE530, UE Triple Fi 10 Pro, Westone 3, Westone 4, Ortofon EQ7, ATH CK100, Earsonics SM3. Recently, I also spent a good half of an hour to audition the FAD flagship which is priced similarly to the flagship customs these days. Not sure if the above means anything, but if it does, I don't think any of the universals above would rival my ES5 or UE18 Pro in any sense - not even close.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #43 of 114

Users who are viewing this thread

Back