MSB Analog DAC? (Review p3)
Feb 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #541 of 740
  I tried signature 4 and diamond, but in their showroom. not at my house. They are very good, but analog dac with quad usb is pretty close to the old signature 4 if I remember correctly. However, from what I've heard, signature 5 is another beast. @negura had analog dac and signature 5 side by side and he found the latter to be a considerable upgrade. Btw, the new V series is based on the same designs as analog dac. Negura said that signature 5 sounds considerable more detailed, more transparent, analogical / organical and very close to real life. 

Great and sad to know that. My wallet hates it. I want to try Signature V so much now.
I also noticed that Analog dac with Quad USB is not very forgiving to relative low quality records which I have expected since it perfectly enlarged and exposed every detail from the record. 

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #542 of 740

Great and sad to know that. My wallet hates it. I want to try Signature V so much now.

I feel you. I am afraid even to take it for a review/test in my system, I am very afraid :)) . You know that moment when you are aware that you can't afford it, but unwillingly your mind stars a saving plan ? :)))

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #543 of 740
  I feel you. I am afraid even to take it for a review/test in my system, I am very afraid :)) . You know that moment when you are aware that you can't afford it, but unwillingly your mind stars a saving plan ? :)))

beerchug.gif
 Totally with you. LOL.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #544 of 740
Currently trying the Platinum DAC VI Plus with the Signature Power Base. Its a good sounding DAC (it is recently discontinued) noted it has a good deal of resolution, interesting to compare it with the more laid back character of the Nagra not much in it. Its running the old USB not the new Quad which would make a big difference. 

Good value for money if you can find one and pair it with a UMT over I2S for a decent transport/DAC solution.

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #545 of 740
RE Topic: Isquirrel
Hei, I also heard that (exact) stack before! Actually along with the Diamond 4 and Analog DAC side by side all via USB to my own PC. They each have their own matching powerbase.
Have to say that the signature 4 is pretty close to the diamond 4 in regards to sound signature, it has well... that same kind of sound as the diamond 4. I can tell apart the 'smoothy' passage produced by the Analog DAC which is not quite so with the diamond 4 , this especially when I listened to simple female vocals or violins when they slurred, always gave me a smile when I heard this, I like it. This aside, the diamond 4 struck me by its realism, it didn't take me long to notice the improvement in realism and transparency to my Analog DAC. Again, the boring description is its relatively more real and organic, with better stage depiction, this is the best I can say. To my ear the diamond 4 sounds little leaner to the Analog DAC, maybe that contributes to the transparency? I dont know, but realism is one step up to my ears.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #546 of 740
The best update so far for the Analog:s SQ, is the MSB upgraded power supply i think, then the Renderer is the second great upgrade for the SQ.

But as you already stated that the Diamond got more realism and it is like one or two layers have moved away from the sound is my own impressions, and the final question is it worth the extra money to upgrade to the Diamond?:wink:

Maybe is my answer to that..

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #547 of 740
Series IV is old money these days (althought surely I would not mind a Sig or Diamond IV). I've not heard Diamond IV, but Signature V sounds more detailed, realistic and more natural/organic/analogic than the Analog/Quad/v1.7 DAC imo. Effortlessly so.

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #548 of 740
  Series IV is old money these days (althought surely I would not mind a Sig or Diamond IV). I've not heard Diamond IV, but Signature V sounds more detailed, realistic and more natural/organic/analogic than the Analog/Quad/v1.7 DAC imo. Effortlessly so.

From what we've discussed, signature v seems to sound more natural and organic than signature iv.

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #549 of 740
I just get a network renderer for my Analog dac .When The songs change always come out a sound like "da..da" the sound just like when turn on the dac and sometimes first 2-3 secs no music sound also.Is it normal?

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #550 of 740
I just get a network renderer for my Analog dac .When The songs change always come out a sound like "da..da" the sound just like when turn on the dac and sometimes first 2-3 secs no music sound also.Is it normal?

What is the supply chain configuration? What are you using to serve and play your music?

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #551 of 740
I finally got my Analog DAC Wifi module working. A few days later, I think the 'Minimum phase' filter is well worth a listen. (I know MSB advise the 32x oversampling filter is the bestest). I am finding the stock 32x filter oversharpens content a bit too much to sound entirely natural and it adds grain (comparatively).

There may be a bit more focus with the 32x filter, but the ringing and the grain are no-no.

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #552 of 740
  I finally got my Analog DAC Wifi module working. A few days later, I think the 'Minimum phase' filter is well worth a listen. (I know MSB advise the 32x oversampling filter is the bestest). I am finding the stock 32x filter oversharpens content a bit too much to sound entirely natural and it adds grain (comparatively).

There may be a bit more focus with the 32x filter, but the ringing and the grain are no-no.

Is that the only purpose of that module? Selecting the filters?
I think it should've been a standard option for the users, and not having to buy another module to get access to it.
MSB sucks with this policy.

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #553 of 740

I think it should've been a standard option for the users, and not having to buy another module to get access to it.

With the Wifi module you can change: filters, reclocking, volume control -9db to +3db, input selection, phase control. This is the economy range DAC ... at 7k we only get a preview of the MSB sound. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #554 of 740

Tell me about it. Totally agree with this. I've been talking to negura and I am dying to try that filter, but I cannot because I do not have the 1000$ input. I have them, but can't change them. It's very frustrating.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #555 of 740

"Wifi module"? What did I miss? Are you referring to the network renderer? If so, that is interesting feedback about the filter effects. Are you using the network renderer for your input?

My Sig V with network renderer & Diamond base is being built right now, and I am looking forward to receiving it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back