Ms-1, Maybe Ms-2's? - A post from down under
Nov 2, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #16 of 25
Unfortunatle there are very few phones in the 200 dollar price range that can do many things right. Even more unfortunate is that there aren't even phones for 400 unmapped that can do all things moderately well, except perhaps the ad900.

Your best solution is to buy two ~200 phones that will be able to complement each other. It seems Ike you want bass, more than the reasonable amount of the ms1. Not many open headphones can do bass very well at that price point. Since at least 150 has to go to headphonic, you could buy the shure srh840 and See if you like that.

What I would do if I were in your situationeould be to keep the ms1 for a while longer and get used to their sou d signature and bass. You don't always have to spend more,I'm downgrading to the hd555 ms1 and ath m50, even thought I have a powerful amp. I'd probably get the dt880 and sell off the hd555 in the future, and then the cycle continues...

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #17 of 25
If you ever consider the Shure SRH440 or SRH840 they will sound very much the same without a decent amp (from personal experience). The Shures are not really bassy compared to others out there. Ultrasones seem to be on the bassy side.

Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=168

Ultrasone DJ1
http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=65

You should ask Marcus on that site, they will know more based on their catalogue (assuming you want to trade in the ms1 for something else).

I do believe you would have to stretch your budget a bit. However I believe that the law of diminishing returns do not hit a lot until you get past the $300 point, so a $200-$300 budget is a good place to be if you don't wish to go all the way in the future. These don't need an amp and and amp won't add much, so that's a bit of a bonus.

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #18 of 25
Thank for all your help I've decided to go with trading the ms-1s for the shure 840's and later on getting the ms-2's

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #20 of 25
I did think about molding them but I kinda want something that works out of the box

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #21 of 25
I'm not sure the 840 is going to be the right set of phones for your genres. Let us know how it works out. I think the M50 would suit you a little better.

Quote:
Thank for all your help I've decided to go with trading the ms-1s for the shure 840's and later on getting the ms-2's

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #22 of 25

I'm not sure the 840 is going to be the right set of phones for your genres. Let us know how it works out. I think the M50 would suit you a little better.

Yeah I've been reading quite a bit about them. As far as I can see the shure needs an amp and there's not that much bass at all plus lots of people have been saying just how average these headphones without an amp. At this point I'm thinking of going with the m50's instead...

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #23 of 25
what about the Beyerdynamic:DT770pro?

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #24 of 25
or Ultrasone:proline2500's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back