**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 22, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,730 of 3,203
I know that you're saying the DAC is the source in the purest sense, because it's where the sound originates from in your hardware chain, but I'm making the case for practicality's sake here.  When someone asks for a source in a headphone review that doesn't give any associated equipment, I'd come in and start listing off different DACs and AMPs too just like Matt did.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #1,731 of 3,203
That's nice, but it is not what is meant by the term.   "The source of the Nile" is not any part of the Nile upstream of the Delta.

Actually, source does not even include DAC.   People who include a DAC in "source" are carrying over from the analog days of source->preamp->amp->speakers, so when the CD player was replaced by a PC and a DAC, they tended to lump both into "source" because it was equivalent to a CD player.

But in the meaning of the term "source", it is only the DAP or the PC.

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #1,733 of 3,203
  That's nice, but it is not what is meant by the term.   "The source of the Nile" is not any part of the Nile upstream of the Delta.

Actually, source does not even include DAC.   People who include a DAC in "source" are carrying over from the analog days of source->preamp->amp->speakers, so when the CD player was replaced by a PC and a DAC, they tended to lump both into "source" because it was equivalent to a CD player.

But in the meaning of the term "source", it is only the DAP or the PC.

Look, we are talking semantics here. Technically you are correct, in this instance and in modern terminology people consider the DAC to be part of your source. If I were on trial than you would be correct, but this is one of those instances where everything was made more complicated than it should have been. I was referring to DACs, which I wrote in one of my comments explicitly. There shouldn't be any debate or confusion on what I meant. Thank you for the technical explanation. 
redface.gif

I know that you're saying the DAC is the source in the purest sense, because it's where the sound originates from in your hardware chain, but I'm making the case for practicality's sake here.  When someone asks for a source in a headphone review that doesn't give any associated equipment, I'd come in and start listing off different DACs and AMPs too just like Matt did.

An amplifier will never be considered in a "source" domain. A source can and is - source material (actually media files), transport (TT, DAP, CD Player, Squeezebox, etc.), and your DAC. Practicality has nothing to do with it. There is a separation in the audio chain, there is no "whole source". I've never heard of anyone whether it be headphones or speakers refer to their amp stage as part of the "source". 

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #1,736 of 3,203
I know I personally would consider the amp as part of the entirety of the source if someone were to hypothetically ask on one of my reviews on x headphone where I didn't list any other equipment.  I would answer back with my computer, dac and amp-- No cables though.  
redface.gif
   I too was thinking about both amps and dacs when I read your original question about what the source was.  But I can understand I wronged myself when I specifically quoted the amp as a source.  I just meant it feeds the headphones.

Does the villager on the bank of the Nile consider his source of water as the Nile itself or Lake Victoria, or even the rain and smaller rivers that fill the lake up?

Mad Dogs, yay!

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #1,737 of 3,203
  I know I personally would consider the amp as part of the entirety of the source if someone were to hypothetically ask on one of my reviews on x headphone where I didn't list any other equipment.  I would answer back with my computer, dac and amp-- No cables though.  
redface.gif
   I too was thinking about both amps and dacs when I read your original question about what the source was.  But I can understand I wronged myself when I specifically quoted the amp as a source.  I just meant it feeds the headphones.

Does the villager on the bank of the Nile consider his source of water as the Nile itself or Lake Victoria, or even the rain and smaller rivers that fill the lake up?

Mad Dogs, yay!

No bigge, we all have different definitions of words makes us unique! Anyways, enjoyed the review and the confusion (argument?) that followed. 

Back on track - Who here is going to give up their old dog and trade it in for the new dog? I'm thinking about keeping both... not sure though. I don't see the Mad Dog getting much love once I land a pair of Alphas. Might just upgrade the Mad Dog I have now and have two Alphas... 

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #1,738 of 3,203
I think my plan is to purchase the Alpha Dogs and then send them off to a buddy who owns the Mad Dogs so he can compare the two, then have him ship both to me so I can compare the two, then ship his Mad Dogs back-- and then post both of our impressions using the Magni/Modi stacks.

Sep 22, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #1,739 of 3,203

I thought this line "they are sure good enough to cause the overall value of the LCD-3 and Hifiman Planar Magnetic’s to drastically depreciate in value." is quite funny. To those LCD-3 owners who are willing to shell out extra $900-$1000 for that incremental improvement over LCD-2, I doubt they are really bothered with the level the MDs can achieve despite it punching above its weight.

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,740 of 3,203
My source is my C.A.P.S. v3 Zuma.

Because that's where the source of my music resides.  Then theres my DAC then my Amp..
biggrin.gif

If I only used a CD player - that would be my source..

Just my 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back