**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #1,021 of 3,203
Quote:
Tell that to those who spent megabucks on hp amps and you'll be dead in no time.

In my area, the vintage receivers on Craigslist go for market value.  At this point, I see more 30-something people who are interested in vintage items (not just audio btw), than the supply of vintage receivers coming on the market in estate sales.   Yes, I suppose there are some out there in garage sales, but Saturday morning is valuable to me for catching up on sleep.
biggrin.gif
   And I think there are people who make a living out of buying undervalued stuff at garage sales, especially vintage items.

Any Marantz or Sansui receivers go for US$300+ on Craigslist here.   One reason for the question is seeing which other brands work well with the Mad Dogs.

I did forget to ask responders to mention whether they use the headphone jack or not on each item, thanks !

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #1,022 of 3,203
I ran into the same thing with Craig's like and Ebay where everything seemed to be going for $300+ but found one recently - Sansui AU505 $165 on Ebay - excellent condition inside and out with a new case, faceplate and back.  The inside looks like new caps as well.  It sounds great on my HD800.  My Mad Dog are due back next week with the 3.2 update and I have a feeling it will sound pretty good on those.  Run it out of the headphone jack with plenty of power (it's only on volume level 2). Plugged in the LCD3 it sounds very good.  Hooked up the speaker taps on the LCD3 and it seems to be about the same.  Most of the vintage amps have enough power through the headphone jack unlike what is out there these days.  Far better SQ than my Lyr and O2.  Have to listen a bit more to see how it compares to the Mojo... 

There are some good deals out there once in a while.  I had been searching for about a month now and finally found one and am very pleased.

Happy hunting.

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #1,023 of 3,203
FYI - There was a sansui 7000 and 5000 listed here in the KC area on craigslist. The owner wanted $150 a piece. I was (am) seriously tempted but I'm trying to resist as I really dont want anymore equipment in my place.

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #1,024 of 3,203
I've never had luck with eBay because there's a much wider audience of people who know what they're selling and know what they're looking to buy, but Craigslist has lent me plenty of good vintage gear.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #1,025 of 3,203
Quote:
I've never had luck with eBay because there's a much wider audience of people who know what they're selling and know what they're looking to buy, but Craigslist has lent me plenty of good vintage gear.

Also try Salvation Army and Goodwill stores.  I've found a couple of good vintage pieces for sale there as well.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #1,026 of 3,203
Hey Greed, how does the Mad Dogs scale with your Pico Power amp?

And have you tested Pico Power against Alo or RSA amps?

Am still trying to sched free time for a TH900 demo but thinking of blind buying the Dogs and spending the saving on iPad 5 and netflix subscription
tongue.gif
First world problems....

Aug 2, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #1,027 of 3,203
Quote:
Hey Greed, how does the Mad Dogs scale with your Pico Power amp?

And have you tested Pico Power against Alo or RSA amps?

Am still trying to sched free time for a TH900 demo but thinking of blind buying the Dogs and spending the saving on iPad 5 and netflix subscription
tongue.gif
First world problems....

Hey LFC,

The Pico works great with the MDs. Plenty of power and lost of room to play. They work best with the 9.6V rated NiMH batteries, but right now I'm using the HiTech Li-Poly and they work just as good. The added voltage from the NiMH does work better, but at the cost of run time. Just like I wrote in my review, the Pico Power has very little coloration to the sound so it will be true to your source and DAP/DAC. Depending on how that sounds will be how the it sounds as a whole. Personally, the AK120+PP is a really good combo for the 1plus2 and MDs, especially on the new 1.32 FW. Hope that helps. If you need further info, just PM me. 

Edit: I've only heard the ALO Rx II and 3 through SE, and the RSA SR71A. The Pico beats out all of them in most departments. The amp is truly spectacular. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #1,028 of 3,203
Quote:
Also try Salvation Army and Goodwill stores.  I've found a couple of good vintage pieces for sale there as well.

My local Goodwill seems to have been cleaned out of all its audio equipment recently, but it used to be a place to find some nice semi-vintage speakers and CDPs.

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,029 of 3,203
it seems this thread has been hijacked by how mad dogs sound with vintage amps. I get the feeling that it might be the reason as to why sansui/marantz/pioneer vintage amps are high in price on ebay lately. 
biggrin.gif

but still, I've caved and bought myself a pioneer sx-626. All you bad influences. Especially you Matt 
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #1,030 of 3,203
Well, it's a relevant topic. You can't listen to the MD without a amp, so you might as well listen with a good one that you don't have to mortgage your home for. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,032 of 3,203
Aug 2, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #1,033 of 3,203
Well I choked and my MDs came in today :)

I'm currently considering purchasing my friend's Audio-gd FUN to pair with them. I have been switching back and forth between my Fiio E10 and the FUN, but I don't notice THAT much difference. I'm not entirely sure what components are in the FUN (he mentioned Wolfson something something), but I know my friend spent a good $300+ on it. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I should be hearing a bigger difference.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/FUN/FUNEN.htm
http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000028262517

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #1,034 of 3,203
Quote:
You must buy vintage.......you must........

I just found a kenwood kr-710 for my MDs on CL in my area for $50. I have no knowledge of these things so some feedback would be appreciated... thx

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #1,035 of 3,203
I just found a kenwood kr-710 for my MDs on CL in my area for $50. I have no knowledge of these things so some feedback would be appreciated... thx

Good price. I have two KA-5700 integrated amps driving headphones. Good sound, plenty of power and bass. I'd do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back