**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 29, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #3,106 of 3,203
Hi,

How is Mad Dogs Sub bass compared to Hifiman HE-560 ?

Is there any headphone that is in similar price range of Mad Dogs with more sub bass ?

Whats the bassiest affordable Planar Headphone ?.

Thank You,

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #3,107 of 3,203
  Hi,

How is Mad Dogs Sub bass compared to Hifiman HE-560 ?

Is there any headphone that is in similar price range of Mad Dogs with more sub bass ?

Whats the bassiest affordable Planar Headphone ?.

Thank You,

The old HE-400 has the best bass under the LCD-2 I have herd. it is V shaped with a wonky treble. The Mad dog pro is a far more balanced sound with good bass but not the same class as the HE-400 bass.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #3,108 of 3,203
I have both and generally don't find myself listening to the mdp unless i need the isolation. he400 is more clear and faster with better bass both in quantity, quality and attack.

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #3,111 of 3,203
v1rt and TamborineGuy,

An inexpensive amp that work well with the MD out of a laptop is the brand new CEntrance DACport HD. We just got these in and it is the best dongle-style dac-amp we have heard. A great DSD capable dac and enough muscle for the Mad Dog (and Alphas too).  Been listening to this with the Alpha Primes all day today. Sweet pairing.

For use with the phone, the Fiio E11k Kilimanjaro 2 is a pretty good match, especially if you are using a player/program with adjustable EQ, like the Onkyo HF Player, CanOpener or NePlayer.  As mentioned earlier, the Fiio players are a bit dark, as are the MadDogs, so tipping up the high end with the EQ helps bring a little sparkle.

Of course, there are much better and more expensive options to be had. These are what I would consider your least expensive-but-still-able-to-kick-some-ass options.

Cheers.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #3,114 of 3,203
Dan is the man! I visited the Mr Speakers factory in San Diego and during the meet he noticed a slight defect in my Alpha Dogs. So they swapped the pads and gave me a brand new pair of Alpha Dogs.

It was just that the original paint job was originally done by a third party and now he does all the painting in-house. I was surprised and the old pair even measured well on the FR graph if only a slight -1dB difference on the graph. Still, they are about perfection and delivering a quailty product.

Alpha Dogs are the best closed headphones on the market for the price. I think they wipe the floor with the PM-3 even though the PM-3 measures better on a FR graph yet sounds dark and muddy in bass by comparison to Alpha Dog. Keep doing what you're doing Dan and reconsider keeping the Alpha Dogs alive for a little longer.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #3,115 of 3,203
So I've had the Mad Dogs for more than a year now, and I love them except that they're too big. Every so often I bend them to increase the clamping force/make the headband shorter, but soon after they start sliding down my head again. I mostly listen to them inside the house where I can have my head against something or kind of hold them on with my hand, but if I want to be sitting up the cups hit the tops of my ears and get uncomfortable really quickly. I don't think my head is abnormally small, I used to use a pair of Digitech Pro Monitors and they fit fine.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Could I put a piece of foam on the leather strap or something?

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #3,117 of 3,203
So I've had the Mad Dogs for more than a year now, and I love them except that they're too big. Every so often I bend them to increase the clamping force/make the headband shorter, but soon after they start sliding down my head again. I mostly listen to them inside the house where I can have my head against something or kind of hold them on with my hand, but if I want to be sitting up the cups hit the tops of my ears and get uncomfortable really quickly. I don't think my head is abnormally small, I used to use a pair of Digitech Pro Monitors and they fit fine.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Could I put a piece of foam on the leather strap or something?
I'm not sure I really understand the problem. I know that over time with normal use the leather on the headband compresses and cause the silders to move more freeley. If you tighten the leather strap with a phillips head screwdriver, it will give you more drag. If that doesnt work, you can email me a couple pictures of you wearing the headphone and I can probably help you come up with a solution. My email address is peter@mrspeakers.com

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #3,118 of 3,203
I should be receiving my mad dogs by the end of this week.  I've also ordered and ODAC along with a Magni 2 and O2 just for fun and seeing if I can see any difference.  I figure I'll make use of both of them.  Can't wait to put these things on my head. They will be staying at the office but I have the sneaking suspicion I will be bringing them back home with me quite often!

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #3,119 of 3,203
I should be receiving my mad dogs by the end of this week.  I've also ordered and ODAC along with a Magni 2 and O2 just for fun and seeing if I can see any difference.  I figure I'll make use of both of them.  Can't wait to put these things on my head. They will be staying at the office but I have the sneaking suspicion I will be bringing them back home with me quite often!

You are going to love them. Had mine for a couple months and they've become one of my favorite headphones. Non-fatiguing, rich, detailed sound, absolutely a treat to listen with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back