**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 17, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #3,136 of 3,203
If we are still talking amps, I have been using a vintage Yamaha C4 preamp as my headphone amp.  It sounds very nice and has plenty of power.  The source is either Apple lossless files from my Macbook through a Dragonfly, or a Sony CD player.  I have tried a few other vintage pieces by Marantz, H/K and Pioneer but have not been as impressed as I am with the C4.

As far as cables go, are there any cables out there that significantly improve the sound quality of the MD 3.2 without breaking the bank?  I am still using the V-Moda cable that came with them.

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #3,137 of 3,203
No. You'd be better off just upgrading them to a pro or alpha depending on the sound sig you prefer.

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #3,139 of 3,203
No. You'd be better off just upgrading them to a pro or alpha depending on the sound sig you prefer.

What are the differences in the sound sigs compared to the mad dogs?

Nov 20, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #3,140 of 3,203
The pros definitely look like a more finished product with the way they pads are attached. They sound cleaner with more soundstage

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #3,141 of 3,203
I'm looking into upgrading my closed can setup from my Pro 80 sometime in the future.  I've got a few questions about the Mad Dog $299.

The original headphone they are based on by fostex, are described as a "semi-open" headphone.  Is this not true of the Mad Dogs?  I want isolation.

I've just recently gotten into planar, having just purchased the 400i recently.  How would the Mad Dogs compare to something like the 400i and the HD650?

Are the pads completely user replaceable?

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #3,142 of 3,203
Buying the Mad Dogs tomorrow. There's a note on the website that mentions the possibility that the sliders could be silver. I naturally googled T50rp's with a silver slider and could only find the T40rp MkII. Are the more recently modded Mad Dogs just an uncoloured T50rp that wasn't released to the public due to them being discontinued, or are they the T40rp MKII? If they are the latter, is there a large difference between the two?

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #3,143 of 3,203
  Buying the Mad Dogs tomorrow. There's a note on the website that mentions the possibility that the sliders could be silver. I naturally googled T50rp's with a silver slider and could only find the T40rp MkII. Are the more recently modded Mad Dogs just an uncoloured T50rp that wasn't released to the public due to them being discontinued, or are they the T40rp MKII. If they are the later, is there a large difference between the two?

I might be wrong but aren't the new t50rp using silver sliders?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0167XM092/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ps_1?pf_rd_p=1944687442&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002MT6RY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0A7TRXFMGDXQ50GARG3T

Here is an amazon link to it

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #3,144 of 3,203
  I might be wrong but aren't the new t50rp using silver sliders?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0167XM092/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ps_1?pf_rd_p=1944687442&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002MT6RY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0A7TRXFMGDXQ50GARG3T

Here is an amazon link to it

Those are the MKIII's. Not being modified for use in the Mad Dogs (if I recall correctly). Also, from what I can see, they're a more gunmetal/grey colour. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #3,145 of 3,203
The T40 and T50 are functionally identical, for our purposes.  After Fostex discontinued the RP2 we took all the T40 and T50 we could get, but the base model has no effect on sound after we're done.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 13, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #3,148 of 3,203
  The Mad dog pro are a little mid forward with strong bass. I can say for sure Sleater-Kinney sounds great through them. Vocals and guitar shine with a good amp.  

Thanks for the reply. Sleater-Kinney is one of my favorite bands, and the only reason I haven't purchased these already is some peoples impressions that they can be too dark or laid-back. Since I listen to a lot of punk/rock I would like them to be engaging and definitely mid-forward, and I would expect them to be more engaging/lively than my HD600s since they are closed.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #3,149 of 3,203
Thanks for the reply. Sleater-Kinney is one of my favorite bands, and the only reason I haven't purchased these already is some peoples impressions that they can be too dark or laid-back. Since I listen to a lot of punk/rock I would like them to be engaging and definitely mid-forward, and I would expect them to be more engaging/lively than my HD600s since they are closed.
I think some may have been talking about the old mad dogs as dark the pros are laid back and easy to listen to but I would not call them dark. They are transparent and fun with that clean planar sound. That is IMO as always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back