**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 2, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #3,048 of 3,203
I was totally in search of glasses-friendly headphones; there's precious few. Mad Dogs were among the best, now I realize. You should check out the Beyer Custom One Pro as well; it's a very versatile can and VERY comfortable for me with glasses on.

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #3,049 of 3,203
Just got mine in and got to listen to them last night; so happy to have them back. So rich sounding. I've found that it just takes so long to find the best headphones for your own personal tastes, since there are so many different sound signatures out there.
This is the headphone for people who like a sound that's a little richer than your most analytical, cold headphones, the DT880's and Q701s. I'd say the main word for these is "musical". Instruments are rich, voices are thick, but none of it is muffled.

Glad to be back.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #3,050 of 3,203
Just got mine in and got to listen to them last night; so happy to have them back. So rich sounding. I've found that it just takes so long to find the best headphones for your own personal tastes, since there are so many different sound signatures out there.
This is the headphone for people who like a sound that's a little richer than your most analytical, cold headphones, the DT880's and Q701s. I'd say the main word for these is "musical". Instruments are rich, voices are thick, but none of it is muffled.

Glad to be back.

I've tried a ton of <$400 headphones and precious few of them manage to sound as natural and rich as the Mad Dogs.

Welcome back to the fold :)

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #3,051 of 3,203
Buy New vs. Upgrade ?

So I have the Mad Dog 3.2 since early-mid 2013.  I like what I read about the Pro and want to own it.

What is your opinion on whether I should upgrade what I have to the Mad Dog Pro (I'd go with the 4-pin XLR cable), vs. buying another set completely new (more likely from the used market for around $350)?

Anyone think of a compelling reason why I'd want to keep my original 3.2 edition as is?  I'm leaning towards upgrade.  Hoping to hear other opinions.

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #3,052 of 3,203
  Buy New vs. Upgrade ?

So I have the Mad Dog 3.2 since early-mid 2013.  I like what I read about the Pro and want to own it.

What is your opinion on whether I should upgrade what I have to the Mad Dog Pro (I'd go with the 4-pin XLR cable), vs. buying another set completely new (more likely from the used market for around $350)?

Anyone think of a compelling reason why I'd want to keep my original 3.2 edition as is?  I'm leaning towards upgrade.  Hoping to hear other opinions.

Personally, I'd perhaps consider saving up a little longer and going for used alpha primes. It's a considerable upgrade that I did late last year and I'm pleased i went for the primes in the end.

Edit: I ended up buying new primes though.

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #3,053 of 3,203
Comfort ends up being the deal breaker. That's why I'm selling my mad dogs. I wear glasses and the pads really make them dig into my head, it hurts quite a bit after 1hr+

That's odd. I find the MD pretty comfortable when I wear my glasses. Definitely more so than a lot of other circumaural headphones.

While I agree with hucifer, I can understand hapster's feeling.  This can be because of the eyeglass type & design.  The last so many years I've been wearing titanium frames with a super thin, flattened-out temple/arm.  If it was a thicker or rounder design, say a plastic temple that gave a little and pushed towards the head, I could understand the issue.

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #3,054 of 3,203
I've got a question regarding comfort, weight, and size if anyone has some experience with the older Mad Dogs w/ Dog Pads vs. the new ones w/ Alpha Pads. I recently sold my Mad Dogs (which had dog pads), and am regretting it, because I honestly just can't find any closed headphones that match the amazing sound quality. 

I'm deciding whether I should purchase the new Mad Dog (v3.2) w/ Alpha Pads and the only thing holding me back are the new pads themselves. They seem to be considerably larger and i'm worried they will add more weight and make the headphone even more unwieldy than before (they were already a fairly heavy and large headphone).

Would love someone that has had experience with both (or even just the new one) to chime in and let me know what they think. This will not be a portable headphone for me, ill be using them at work. Are there any other headphones that have the same pad/cup size as the new Mad Dogs? Same weight? 

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #3,057 of 3,203
Is anyone having problems buying from the website? I'm in Canada, and I just get the "(Transaction Failed) Something went wrong" error. No idea how to fix it. (live in Canada

I will pm you

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 20, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #3,058 of 3,203
In my case, I find my Mad Dog Pros (they have the Alpha pads, I think) perfectly comfortable with glasses, although I have to be careful how I put them on... if I get it wrong, the glasses' bridge digs into my nose a bit. But besides that, it's fine. The temples on my glasses are pretty slim, so that probably helps a bit, along with the pads being soft and compliant.
One thing is for sure: I'll have to take my headphones along next time I have to choose a new frame :)

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #3,059 of 3,203
Hardly used Mad Dogs (not Pro version) for sale to any fellow head-fiers here in Singapore. With spare pair of Alpha angled pads.

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #3,060 of 3,203
I just got the new Mad Dogs (I had the old 3.0 version with Dog Pads) and while I love the sound am running into an issue with sound leakage. My old Mad Dogs didn't leak any sound, while the new version is leaking enough sound such that co-workers 4-5 feet away can pick out the exact song i'm listening to. Looking at every review of the new Mad Dogs w/ Alpha Pads it seems that sound leakage should be extremely minimal. Did I receive a defective pair? I've already reached out to Dan at Mr. Speakers with the same question but am wondering if people with the current version of the Mad Dog can comment. Aren't these supposed to be closed headphones? Isn't the whole point of the Mad Dogs that they give you amazing sound with good isolation and no sound leakage? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back